Aiptasia?

Tomknox47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone just noticed I have this weird thing sitting on my frag, I haven’t noticed it when I purchased the frag a few months ago. I believe it’s aiptasia but it looks different from the aiptasia I see in other peoples tanks.
( sorry for the not so great photo, tanks going through an ugly phase)

will coral rx kill this ? Should I just throw the entire frag away?

6C05F44C-1652-4B6D-8878-EA754B34D541.jpeg BDE6ACEF-5590-472A-9109-9DF2DAE2E859.jpeg

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, That looks like aptasia just a small one. If you have had the frag for a month without signs in other locations it could have been on the plug and has grown to what you see now. However, you could have others in your tank that are small and havent grown large enough to be seen and this is just another sowing up.
In my experience coral Rx doesn't kill aptasia which makes sence as we use it to dip coral and anemones. Aptasia is a type of anemone just a pest one.

Couple of options:
You could use epoxy and cover the hole it resides in, but in my experience this doesnt rid the system of them, and they usually pop back up.

Joes juice, Aptasia X or a compund similar to these can be used carefully in hopes that it will kill the Aptasia.

These things are frustrating as most on here will attest. Once you see one there are likely others that you cant see.

OP
OP
T

Tomknox47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I guess my worries were right about the aiptasia. It’s unfortunate but I guess it’s just another part of reefing. Is it possible to manually remove these guys some way by “ scraping” them off? And I’ve also read that they can sting other fish and coral. Is this something that I should be concerned about when attempting to remove them?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy f aptasia. Or aptasia X
Or you can buy this.

OP
OP
T

Tomknox47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just toss the entire frag out, looks like it’s on the frag and coral itself lol. My local lfs, doesn’t have any available at the moment.
with my luck I’d toss the entire frag out and realize that I have more hiding somewhere

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just toss the entire frag out, looks like it’s on the frag and coral itself lol. My local lfs, doesn’t have any available at the moment.
with my luck I’d toss the entire frag out and realize that I have more hiding somewhere
don't waste your money and the frag like that, quarantine it and remove the aiptasia if you are concerned

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back