Aiptasia?

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I need your help. First let me say that I am one of the few reefers I know that has never had to deal with aiptasia in any of my tanks. I realize that I am very lucky, because of that. However, my wife just sent me a pic that looks like something is growing on my live rock. It's still too small for me to really get any idea what it is... every picture I've ever seen of aiptasia is from where the aiptasia is already well grown, so I have no idea what they look like when they are small. The pic is not the best quality, but I hope to upload a few more pics when I get home.
Screenshot_20210512-131424_Gallery.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I need your help. First let me say that I am one of the few reefers I know that has never had to deal with aiptasia in any of my tanks. I realize that I am very lucky, because of that. However, my wife just sent me a pic that looks like something is growing on my live rock. It's still too small for me to really get any idea what it is... every picture I've ever seen of aiptasia is from where the aiptasia is already well grown, so I have no idea what they look like when they are small. The pic is not the best quality, but I hope to upload a few more pics when I get home.
Screenshot_20210512-131424_Gallery.jpg
Is the rock TB, KP or just lfs live rock?

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so with it being aiptasia, what are my options? I see a lot of people talking about lasers and lemon and hot water... what really works? Is it small enough to the point I don't need to worry about it producing more when I go to kill it?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so with it being aiptasia, what are my options? I see a lot of people talking about lasers and lemon and hot water... what really works? Is it small enough to the point I don't need to worry about it producing more when I go to kill it?
If it is aiptasia, a syringe with them kalk paste and lemon juice works great. Inject directly into the mouth. Watch it melt away. This also destroys the spores it keeps inside.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are that small, if you have access, just pull the rock and smother it in superglue.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock then smother it with superglue/epoxy or my personal favorite method is hold a lighter to the spot
If you can remove it then F-Aiptasia, Joes Juice, X-aiptasia can be applied to the whole disk and they will pop. If you have a hypodermic needle and kalkwasser on hand then you can inject them with a kalk paste.
Nudis, filefish, peppermint shrimp or CBB are biological removal methods.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to lay it out there.
None of these methods work and all of these methods work. If you don't know what I mean by this then give it a few weeks and re-read the statement. I didn't get a grip on them until I tore my tank down and got the stragglers in a QT coral setup. Well they came back so I doubled down and added a filefish and peppermint shrimp. So far so good!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This can work if you dont have an infestation.

I prefer natural enemies myself.

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the rock is the base of my scape. So, taking it out is a no go. A buddy of mine just told me he has an extra kit of Aiptasia X by Red Sea, so I will giving that a shot and hope for the best. Thanks everyone for the help and info!

New York Love GIF

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the rock is the base of my scape. So, taking it out is a no go. A buddy of mine just told me he has an extra kit of Aiptasia X by Red Sea, so I will giving that a shot and hope for the best. Thanks everyone for the help and info!

New York Love GIF
My hands shake like crazy but maybe you will have better luck. Watch a few videos before going at it. The first is critical because if you screw up the first one, they spread like crazy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,
New tank & rock work, you might want to consider Berghia nudibranch solution if you don't have fish that eat nudibranchs already?

If one shows up, there may be more hiding in other places on the rocks?

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see one then you have more.
If your tank isnt old I'd start getting ready to break down

Buy some buckets to put rock In with pumps. No Heater required but wouldn't hurt.
Then add a heap of (live rock enhance)
Them cover the buckets. Changing out water every week adding more live rock enhance to help leaching of rock, detritus and what not.
I'd even set up a bucket of peroxide and soak the rocks for about 2 hours and then transfer back to buckets helps kill any algae that the darkness isnt killing.

I'd set up 2 quarantine tanks. Place all your coral in first quarantine tank. (Preferably 30 days beforehand so you can cycle your quarantine tanks)
Its important to have 2 not just one.

Once you have managed all the aptasia by observing and treating quarantine tank 1.

Buy a few new frag plugs, frag any corals that can be and place them on brand new plugs.
You should bleach or peroxide then rinse any new plugs to prevent algae growth.

Place the newly fragged corals in your second quarantine tank. Allow them to grow for a few months. On the new plugs and carefully observe them to make sure 100% they have not even a pineapple sponge.

They will have to stay in this tank for almost 1 year (reason below) v

Then while your corals are healing and being treated.
Set up your main display. After making sure you have bleached everything and have properly rinsed it clean.
I would avoid using pumps that were inside tank before you had to take it down.

Then after 6-8 months of your tank getting back into maturity.
Then start adding coral back from the second observation quarantine.
As long as you have seen no signs of aptasia.
Then you should have beaten it. And as long as you quarantine your corals from now on you should be set up to irridicate almost any pest that comes your way.

I used to remove them by the dozens. Then they would just come back. So I had to learn the hard way to take the drastic road.

But this allows you to form a clear path to success.

Just my opinion.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm,
New tank & rock work, you might want to consider Berghia nudibranch solution if you don't have fish that eat nudibranchs already?

If one shows up, there may be more hiding in other places on the rocks?
Get a Berghia Nudibranch, these Aipstatia are like cockroaches, never just one

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Berghia Nudibranch that everyone post about are a temp fix. If the aptasia has spawned. And that's 100% it could take months for the baby's to appear to the naked eye. Thus would exhaust its food supply and die befor the new ones popped there head out to say hello.

You best approach is as I stated befor. This is the only method for pure eradication of them

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Berghia Nudibranch that everyone post about are a temp fix. If the aptasia has spawned. And that's 100% it could take months for the baby's to appear to the naked eye. Thus would exhaust its food supply and die befor the new ones popped there head out to say hello.

You best approach is as I stated befor. This is the only method for pure eradication of them
I have Berghia Nudibranchs and they are far from being a temporary fix, they get into every crevice

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see one then you have more.
If your tank isnt old I'd start getting ready to break down

Buy some buckets to put rock In with pumps. No Heater required but wouldn't hurt.
Then add a heap of (live rock enhance)
Them cover the buckets. Changing out water every week adding more live rock enhance to help leaching of rock, detritus and what not.
I'd even set up a bucket of peroxide and soak the rocks for about 2 hours and then transfer back to buckets helps kill any algae that the darkness isnt killing.

I'd set up 2 quarantine tanks. Place all your coral in first quarantine tank. (Preferably 30 days beforehand so you can cycle your quarantine tanks)
Its important to have 2 not just one.

Once you have managed all the aptasia by observing and treating quarantine tank 1.

Buy a few new frag plugs, frag any corals that can be and place them on brand new plugs.
You should bleach or peroxide then rinse any new plugs to prevent algae growth.

Place the newly fragged corals in your second quarantine tank. Allow them to grow for a few months. On the new plugs and carefully observe them to make sure 100% they have not even a pineapple sponge.

They will have to stay in this tank for almost 1 year (reason below) v

Then while your corals are healing and being treated.
Set up your main display. After making sure you have bleached everything and have properly rinsed it clean.
I would avoid using pumps that were inside tank before you had to take it down.

Then after 6-8 months of your tank getting back into maturity.
Then start adding coral back from the second observation quarantine.
As long as you have seen no signs of aptasia.
Then you should have beaten it. And as long as you quarantine your corals from now on you should be set up to irridicate almost any pest that comes your way.

I used to remove them by the dozens. Then they would just come back. So I had to learn the hard way to take the drastic road.

But this allows you to form a clear path to success.

Just my opinion.
Wayyyyyy to much for aipstatia removal, it's not covid-19 your curing. Just a pesty anemone, and some look pretty dang neat

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Till they grow up through your favorite Walt Disney arco and rtn it l by stinging it. Yeah if you wanna risk expensive coral . Go ahead. Take the easy way out. You will 100% regret it later on down the line 5-10years in. That response is why more than half of the reefers dont last till the 1 year mark. Prevention is key

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how everyone panics over Aiptasia. You're running a reef tank and getting things from various places, sooner or later you're going to get it in your tank. There are a ton of options available to deal with them... I use Berghia nudibranch. When they're done wiping it out, it's gone. Then I put the nudibranch back in the nursery to breed some more. I have a small colony of Aiptasia in my display right now on a base rock. I grabbed a few nudibranch from the other room and put them in there a few days ago. Most of the Aiptasia is gone already. Everyone can do as they like, it's your tank. Nuke it from orbit, boil your rocks, hand grenades, Aiptasia-x, lemon juice, CBB, peppermint shrimp, Berghia nudibranch, etc...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back