Air bubble or water in seam (above water level) of Red Sea Reefer 425XL

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 425 XL that has some how given way to some air bubble / water condensation through a small pin hole opening in the silicone seam/seal in the top right corner of the tank (above water level), I am horrified to even think what this can lead to.

I am attaching a picture of the ingress, can anyone please advise me how I can resolve this problem, the tank is full of fishes and corals and I do not have the facility to empty down the tank for repair.

I am bit worried about this situation and would really appreciate any assistance I can get from experts here.

the fact that the tiny hole in the seam occured above the water level and rest of the seam is absolutely intact, is there a possibility if this can be repaired by using some aquarium silicon to close the opening at first and then put some extra application for added strength of bond between the glass and the existing seam. I can literally see where the pin size hole is on the seam and can even insert a tiny pin through that hole but rest of the seam is intact and there is no opening.

At this point I am not worried about the aesthetics of the tank and happy to use silicone if it can support the tank and hold it together for some time?

I have attached the picture of the leak.

IMG-20210329-WA0001.jpg

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 425 XL that has some how given way to some air bubble / water condensation through a small pin hole opening in the silicone seam/seal in the top right corner of the tank (above water level), I am horrified to even think what this can lead to.

I am attaching a picture of the ingress, can anyone please advise me how I can resolve this problem, the tank is full of fishes and corals and I do not have the facility to empty down the tank for repair.

I am bit worried about this situation and would really appreciate any assistance I can get from experts here.

the fact that the tiny hole in the seam occured above the water level and rest of the seam is absolutely intact, is there a possibility if this can be repaired by using some aquarium silicon to close the opening at first and then put some extra application for added strength of bond between the glass and the existing seam. I can literally see where the pin size hole is on the seam and can even insert a tiny pin through that hole but rest of the seam is intact and there is no opening.

At this point I am not worried about the aesthetics of the tank and happy to use silicone if it can support the tank and hold it together for some time?

I have attached the picture of the leak.

IMG-20210329-WA0001.jpg
Just happened to a friend of mine, the company did little to remedy the situation but the lfs and the rep were able to change his tank for minimal cost.
Their newer model is built differently (stand and tank), so they are aware of this situation.
You can use clamps to keep the panel in place until you change the tank.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kamers

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened to a friend of mine, the company did little to remedy the situation but the lfs and the rep were able to change is tank for minimal cost.
Their newer model is built differently (stand and tank), so they are aware of this situation.
You can use clamps to keep the panel in place until you change the tank.
Good luck!
so no chance of repair? this is all above water level?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defiantly reach out to Red Sea. They probably would not replace it at no charge but may help with a replacement cost. It is worth a try.

OP
OP
Kamers

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defiantly reach out to Red Sea. They probably would not replace it at no charge but may help with a replacement cost. It is worth a try.
I already have a quote from Red Sea, hardly any different to cost of the new tank.

The question I am asking is, is it worth trying patch it myself with silicone as it sits above the water level ?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone can tell you definitively that the tank will or will not lose structural integrity. Not clear to me how one would even approach fixing something like that. Presumably the tank would need to be emptied, disassembled and resiliconed. You say the tank is 5 years old .... has this void been there for a while? At the very least I'd be marking the delineations of the 'bubble' to see if it is growing or not.

OP
OP
Kamers

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone can tell you definitively that the tank will or will not lose structural integrity. Not clear to me how one would even approach fixing something like that. Presumably the tank would need to be emptied, disassembled and resiliconed. You say the tank is 5 years old .... has this void been there for a while? At the very least I'd be marking the delineations of the 'bubble' to see if it is growing or not.

this void started off couple of weeks ago, I personally think this is condensation which has somehow found its way into the seam through a tiny hole.

upon discovering I removed the lid which was gathering condensation and dripping it towards where the hole is, since then I have put a marker and the void has not increased but its only been 3-4 days.

My thought process is (can be wrong) that if void is water ingress into the seam through a tiny hole, so if I close the hole with silicone then this void would stay where it is (I hope).

but I have never experienced anything like this before, so may be I am being over optimistic!

my current take is, if this void exceeds the marker that I have put in then I am draining down the tank immediately but if not then may be I need to closely monitor the situation and manage as needed.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone will not stick to dry silicone unless completely removed and cleaned with alcohol. wrap some shipping straps around the tank in that area with a turnbuckle to tighten just enough, not too tight. Can be permanent or temp repair.

OP
OP
Kamers

Kamers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone will not stick to dry silicone unless completely removed and cleaned with alcohol. wrap some shipping straps around the tank in that area with a turnbuckle to tighten just enough, not too tight. Can be permanent or temp repair.
Hello.

I have now put straps around, can you see if it looks ok? How long can it hold the seam for?

Attachments

• 20210401_133827.jpg
    20210401_133827.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 81

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I have now put straps around, can you see if it looks ok? How long can it hold the seam for?
Looks okay. Would look better with buckle and hooks in the back. Will last as long as it takes to get a replacement tank, it may last many years but will be an eyesore. If you are going to repair this tank, everything will need to be removed to a large tub or several tubs that will sustain your reef for several weeks. Repair yourself (take all panels apart to reseal) or take to professional glass repair shop. Or buy a new tank and use this one for a sump or frag tank half full of course.

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a quote from Red Sea, hardly any different to cost of the new tank.

The question I am asking is, is it worth trying patch it myself with silicone as it sits above the water level ?
You're right. I won't bother with it since it above water level. Add a eurobrace or any brace for peace of mind.

Rockfella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure If your tank is braced. I would add a 6" broad brace front to back on a tank like that and get a canopy for aesthetics.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back