Air in eye

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shoulder tang was getting bullied by a sohal. I have since removed the sohal and it has been six month. The shoulder had a hazy blind eye and now the eye is protruding with multiple air bubbles in it. It kinda went away for a bit but came back and has been this was for at least three months. Is there something i can do? Im even open to possibilities where i have to remove the eye. It is very unsightly and the tang often bumps into rocks with the protruding eye.

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those gas bubbles are caused by an injury and sometimes don’t reabsorb. I’ve tried drawing the gas off with a tuberculin syringe needle, but they come back. I even built a pressure chamber that would shrink the bubbles, but when the pressure was slowly released, the bubble would return. In some cases we’ve had our veterinarian remove the eye. I’ve never tried to do that on my own.

Sorry that there isn’t a good solution for you!

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am 2 for 3 in this subsiding. Often it worsens the eye resulting in loss of eye or blindness. You can try maracyn AKA maracyn 1 for 5 days which is ethromyacin often effective for cloudy eye issues. Its a gamble you take but more comforting to me than waiting to see what happens next.
Agree with jay- Gas bubble which often ends up at the weakest part of the fishs' body- The eye

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely from an injury, the sohal i got rid of went to town on the shoulder for a few days. The eye is just very unsightly, i almost want to remove the eye myself, but i dont know how and im not going to attempt it. So i guess im just going to leave him be. Feel bad for the guy, but seems like its out of my hands now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was definitely from an injury, the sohal i got rid of went to town on the shoulder for a few days. The eye is just very unsightly, i almost want to remove the eye myself, but i dont know how and im not going to attempt it. So i guess im just going to leave him be. Feel bad for the guy, but seems like its out of my hands now.

In case you want to dive into this further, here is a link to an article I wrote of fish eye health:

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back