Air lift pumps for pico reefs?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...can they be used for reef vases/jars and similar small setups? Of course straight air lines are frequently used for this, but I was wondering if the more orderly flow such an air lift pump (like this jetlifter; http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-jetlifter-cubelifter/ ...I have seen similar devices on Ebay) would produce would offer any benefits to the setup. Thanks :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive seen these too. Main problem is your tank would be covered in microbubbles.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ive seen these too. Main problem is your tank would be covered in microbubbles.
I am curious...why would this device be more likely to do that than a straight air line? And would said microbubbles actually harm anything one is likely to keep in a reef jar?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious...why would this device be more likely to do that than a straight air line? And would said microbubbles actually harm anything one is likely to keep in a reef jar?
No idea. The microbubbles may cause coral to slime. But it wont be much more than a visual distraction and maybe act as a skimmer at the surface . But try it, whats 15 bucks?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idk how the air lift pump works but straight airline (no airstone) produces large enough bubbles that they just float to the top and provide gas exchange.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk how the air lift pump works but straight airline (no airstone) produces large enough bubbles that they just float to the top and provide gas exchange.

I bet the air lift tube could be used for directional flow, possibly creating a circular flow in a jar.

Back