air line from skimmer to outside

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fact co2 levels in a home are at such low concentrations that it’s an insignificant detriment to a tank and usually more hassle than the work is worth.
Everyone’s home is different in terms of co2 levels

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fact co2 levels in a home are at such low concentrations that it’s an insignificant detriment to a tank and usually more hassle than the work is worth.

Well, then that assertion is the problem. Not sure what you based it on, but low pH is frequently caused by elevated CO2 in the home air, and many folks have measured it for themselves to prove it, either indirectly by measuring pH in water aerated indoors and out, or with a CO2 meter measuring their indoor air.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, then that assertion is the problem. Not sure what you based it on, but low pH is frequently caused by elevated CO2 in the home air, and many folks have measured it for themselves to prove it, either indirectly by measuring pH in water aerated indoors and out, or with a CO2 meter measuring their indoor air.
randy, i recently had loziers heating and cooling out to my house not for co2 but for my central air. I asked them to test my co2 level in my basement. I don't know if it was ppm or not but they said it was close to 1100. they didn't offer to put in a airvac or what ever it's called. but i am more concerned about losing my air.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randy, i recently had loziers heating and cooling out to my house not for co2 but for my central air. I asked them to test my co2 level in my basement. I don't know if it was ppm or not but they said it was close to 1100. they didn't offer to put in a airvac or what ever it's called. but i am more concerned about losing my air.
You need an hrv or an erv. Either one will give your home fresh air without loosing your heat or AC. A local professional can guide you to which one is better in your local
I installed one in my house and can’t believe how much more I enjoy living in it. Even sleep better

Last edited:
OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did notice that today my ph hasn't rose yet only dropped. hasn't gone up. i did move the air tubing off of the floor so no one will trip over it and face plant themselves on the concrete floor in my basement(mainly me). but im going to do a water change and see what that does. I haven't added anything like alk or calcium. cause after I tested the alk and ca last night I found them to be in acceptable range although n03 and phosphates were high. that is why im doing the wc today. the only thing that has changed was my skimmer wasn't skimming so i have been adjusting that to produce skimmate. If all else fails i'll try my second skimmer and if that works and i don't see a decline in skimmate or ph then i'll keep that in the sump. and store my lifereef skimmer after a good cleanup, for a different tank.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an hrv or an erv. Either one will give your home fresh air without loosing your heat or AC. A local professional can guide you to which one is better in your local
You installed one in my house and can’t believe how much more I enjoy living in it. Even sleep better
i had them out because my central air quit working. it froze up. they were able to fix it teemporarly. but no gaurantee on how long it will run. they recommended a new air unit,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is likely ppm. Normal air is about 400 ppm, so that is elevated and will cause a drop of 0.2 to 0.3 pH units relative to normal air aerating the same seawater.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have frost issues in below zero temps, this has been keeping me from hooking my skimmer to the outside.

I live in MN and have no issues with this. I have probably a 30ft run of hose from outside to my skimmer so could be warming it a tiny bit.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in MN and have no issues with this. I have probably a 30ft run of hose from outside to my skimmer so could be warming it a tiny bit.
im still trying to figure out the best way to get the airline to the outside. im going to look under my front step. that's where my gas line and my outside meter is ran from to the outside. the power company has the power and gas meter outside. I really don't want to drill through the house siding

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice. How thick is your wall? Masonry or wood? What kind if siding? Replacing the window seems like a lot of work instead of just drilling a hole through the wall. You'll also need a screen or something to keep bugs out.

I put a hose that fit tight over my skimmer airhose out the bottom of a slightly opened window. Bonus is the hose is behind the screen. This is temporary until I run something permanent. So it'll prolly be there for years.

20220809_074844.jpg

20220809_074919.jpg
lol. That's exactly what I've done - err did about 5 years ago and it still works fine :)

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my line through my exterior wall then mounted a BRS Media reactor outside with carbon then back to my CO2 scrubber from the CO2 scrubber to my skimmer intake, works great.

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran an airline from the skimmer to outside after reading this post last night. Take about 10 minutes to squeeze the airline through the little water drainage under the window. hope it increase my PH during the day when the window are closed. I already notice the skimmer is a lot more quiet so I might run it 24/7 now. anyone else run the them 24/7?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran an airline from the skimmer to outside after reading this post last night. Take about 10 minutes to squeeze the airline through the little water drainage under the window. hope it increase my PH during the day when the window are closed. I already notice the skimmer is a lot more quiet so I might run it 24/7 now. anyone else run the them 24/7?
I run mine pretty much 24/7 minus water changes. I turn it off.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u seen any improvements in pH yet? I saw mine almost immediately within 40 minutes it jumped from 7.6 ppm to 7.9 ppm within an hour within 24 hours 8.01 ppm for pH. I have had to adjust my skimmer to start skimming again. I might switch my protein skimmer to a red sea 600. Just for the neck cleaner feature.

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have u seen any improvements in pH yet? I saw mine almost immediately within 40 minutes it jumped from 7.6 ppm to 7.9 ppm within an hour within 24 hours 8.01 ppm for pH. I have had to adjust my skimmer to start skimming again. I might switch my protein skimmer to a red sea 600. Just for the neck cleaner feature.
yes, a some improvement during the day when the windows are closed and at night too now that it's on 24/7

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, a some improvement during the day when the windows are closed and at night too now that it's on 24/7
i realized someone took off the airline to the outside yesterday. i put it back on and it hasn't gone down at all it has actually went up to 8.05 ppm over night. still rising. so know i just have to get it dialed in. which i have been trying for several days. either it's to much or not enough. if this continues to where i can't dial in i have a lead on a ro classic 202-s for a really good price just have to drive a few hours to get it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i realized someone took off the airline to the outside yesterday. i put it back on and it hasn't gone down at all it has actually went up to 8.05 ppm over night. still rising. so know i just have to get it dialed in. which i have been trying for several days. either it's to much or not enough. if this continues to where i can't dial in i have a lead on a ro classic 202-s for a really good price just have to drive a few hours to get it.

What does too much mean? Are you concerned about pH getting too high?

Back