air line from skimmer to outside

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just havng problem adjusting the skimmer. im either over adjusting it to the point where its to wet or not skimming at all. I just can't find that sweat spot for skimming. and it's a lifereef skimmer.
have you try reducing the amount of air going into the skimmer?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you try reducing the amount of air going into the skimmer?
im trying that now. i took off the airline to the outside and just circulating the air from the skimmer cup into the ventura. will see what happens when i go check on it at lunch time.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just havng problem adjusting the skimmer. im either over adjusting it to the point where its to wet or not skimming at all. I just can't find that sweat spot for skimming. and it's a lifereef skimmer.
Sounds like it’s oversized for your bioload

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’s oversized for your bioload
im going to try a different skimmer after work. and see if that skims. I just can't find that sweat spot. I wouldn't consider my load light if any thin overstaocked. 6 clownfish, 2 puffers, 4 tangs(yellow eye kole tang, salifert, chocolate tang, and atlantic blue tang) 2 coral beauties, aptaais file fish, about 20 dalmation mollies,2 green mandarin gobies,3 bta, cabbage coral, gsp, purple sponge,pencil urchin, chocolate starfish(3), i might be missing something. but to me it's fully stocked.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does too much mean? Are you concerned about pH getting too high?
@Randy Holmes-Farley, I read your article on ph. interesting. but I already know my issue is with ph. if there was a way to start a conversation with you I would via private message. but any how. I am going to get a new skimmer. the skimmer I have is a little quirky. im looking at the RO classic 202-s 8" internal protein skimmer. I know that inner diameter size does matter plus air has mass I guess. I will be running the air line to a ridiculous legnth to the outside im guessing 60 to 70 feet. I did a test on 15 feet and got descent results in PH with my lifereef skimmer. but after a few hours the ventura would get clogged. thats why im going with a different skimmer. I was running tubing 3/4 in ID. I plan on running it into pvc to the outside. would this skimmer work and also the pvc will be a larger in diamter the 3/4 inch 1.5 to 2 inch diameter pvc.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Call Jeff @ three zero three-978-0940 he can help you with the adjustments.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fact co2 levels in a home are at such low concentrations that it’s an insignificant detriment to a tank and usually more hassle than the work is worth.
Have you every actually made any measurements to validate this?
Many here have and fine their indoor CO2 gets as high at 1000ppm, that’s gonna make a huge difference.
maybe spend the money on a meter and find out what the facts are..

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test it out first before drilling. Running line outside did nothing for pH for me but scrubber did.

Ulmo

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR version: This may be considered off-topic, but I'm wondering if brass fittings are safe for an air line to skimmer?

I've been using an airline to the outside for about a year now. Slight if any pH increase, but I like the idea of fresh air coming in. I certainly enjoy breathing it when I walk out the door after being inside for extended periods of time, hopefully the tank feels the same.

Recently upgraded skimmer, and decided to upgrade the air-line setup. I swapped out the DIY intake (pods jar carbon and polyfill) with this:

It is mounted to a roof vent in my attic, roughly 32' of hose length from the skimmer. The brass fittings would only be the 3/8" NPT on media canister connected to a 90 degree elbow to the PU hose. So it's far from the tanks moisture, but close to the outside air humidity (no direct contact with rain). Should I worry about copper coming in with the air?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR version: This may be considered off-topic, but I'm wondering if brass fittings are safe for an air line to skimmer?

I've been using an airline to the outside for about a year now. Slight if any pH increase, but I like the idea of fresh air coming in. I certainly enjoy breathing it when I walk out the door after being inside for extended periods of time, hopefully the tank feels the same.

Recently upgraded skimmer, and decided to upgrade the air-line setup. I swapped out the DIY intake (pods jar carbon and polyfill) with this:

It is mounted to a roof vent in my attic, roughly 32' of hose length from the skimmer. The brass fittings would only be the 3/8" NPT on media canister connected to a 90 degree elbow to the PU hose. So it's far from the tanks moisture, but close to the outside air humidity (no direct contact with rain). Should I worry about copper coming in with the air?

Brass is ok if it never gets water in it, but remember in summer it might condense moisture from humid hot outside air getting inside where it is cooler, then making its way along the air line as droplets.

Ulmo

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brass is ok if it never gets water in it, but remember in summer it might condense moisture from humid hot outside air getting inside where it is cooler, then making its way along the air line as droplets.

Thanks Randy.

I have the air line raised a few inches after the intake before taking the long plunge to the sump, but better safe than sorry.

I was trying to save hassle going with brass (cheaper and easier to find in the format I need), but I'll go with a 304 Stainless Steel 90 degree female to female, then polypropylene NPT to barb. Will also try to remove the brass fitting on the item linked earlier and spray some Plasti-Dip on the travel surfaces, should bring it down to very low risk.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
outside are did not help me at all with ph so i treid co2 media and it has helped alot

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 media helped with the ph when I did it. I now run an airline outside during the spring and summer months. I do see an increase to 8.1 ppm. Wish it was morevon 8.2 but I'll take it.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you used two small a diameter airline tubing and you're restricting air into the skimmer now. I saw an immediate 0.2 -0.3 change in pH.
I've got a life reef and ran a 1 inch inner diameter tubing outside and saw a good increase from 7.6 as a low to 7.8 before the tubing to the outside. With the tubing a 7.7 low to a 8.1 ppm for the high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you live on Mars?

Now that would be interesting. Requirements for keeping a reef tank on Mars.
I wonder what issues low gravity alone would cause. Maybe bubbles would stay suspended in the water longer.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you live on Mars?
i ran 1" tubing and then down sized to my skimmer tubing size for the last 3 feet i only saw 1 to 2 point differnce to me that was not worth it . i vent my basement now and run a co2 scrubber and its much better

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back