AIR QUALITY. I'M TALKING ABOUT AIR QUALITY IN AND AROUND OUR TANKS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm talking about the the air! Today or tonight really. This is one of those things I've always been concerned about, but never really addressed head on, other than to add a massive carbon filter to my ventilator and a little DIY form of this to my fresh air that feeds my skimmer. Oh, and a little air purifier up there. OK, now that I think about it, yes! I guess I have been a bit more aggressive (paranoid) about this than I thought. But what I am really wondering is, is it all necessary or just in my head?

12" round Carbon Block on my HRV.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

I mean can "stuff", as in potential pollutants, coming in the air tonight, get in the water enough to cause actual problems to the extent that we’d want to remove it from the air before it did?

Fresh air skimmer intake carbon and dust filter
FullSizeRender 2.jpeg

I will stay this. I love my neighbor. We lucked out when we moved here. But, he has this way of slow burning a heaping pile of wet leaves mixed with a mushy black walnut mulm, that smolders for at least two weeks every year. Drives me absolutely crazy, and was the primary reason I got the carbon block on the HRV line to the room to begin with. Oh, that and they love to cover the ground with mothballs under their camper that sits literally right outside the intake of my HRV. Also drives me incredibly nuts. if you'll bear with the pun.

But again, is this worry warranted in any way? Can smoke and noxious mothball air have any affect on water quality, either by way of infusion through the skimmer of surface exchange? Something I've been quietly paranoid about for years and wanting to get some thoughts or opinions on. what do you guys think? We spend a lot of time worrying about water quality. Should we be focusing at all on the air around the tanks much or no?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% should be. My tank is in a 1br apt and whenever I use the oven or stove top or even have people over or am there myself vs leave the place empty the PH swings wildly. If CO2 has such a noticeable effect, I'm sure other airborne elements do as well

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon on my outside skimmer airline and then eventually stopped using carbon and never saw a difference. I do turn my skimmer off if there is a large amount of smoke near my intake.

However, if my livelihood depended on me keeping corals alive I would absolutely take every precaution.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
100% should be. My tank is in a 1br apt and whenever I use the oven or stove top or even have people over or am there myself vs leave the place empty the PH swings wildly. If CO2 has such a noticeable effect, I'm sure other airborne elements do as well
yeah this is what I think too. seems like if it's in the air, then it's going to get in the water in some form. maybe some folks much smarter than me can chime in on solubility of airborne "stuff" and things of this nature?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use carbon on my outside skimmer airline and then eventually stopped using carbon and never saw a difference. I do turn my skimmer off if there is a large amount of smoke near my intake.

However, if my livelihood depended on me keeping corals alive I would absolutely take every precaution.
I hear you. I am over paranoid about anything even remotely harmful in this regard.

My other neighbor across the street has an older pick up truck with a Diesel engine as a project he sometimes works on. When it's running (He lets it run for hours) my vents or open windows pull that exhaust in all day and the whole room smells like diesel, if I don't turn the vents off or switch the carbon block, on which does help to some extent. Buy do these fumes really need to be worried about? I don't know. That's what I want to know.

Have I ever been able to correlate a direct effect in my systems to something in the air, I honestly don't think so, but the effects may not be immediate for all I know

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I am over paranoid about anything even remotely harmful in this regard.

My other neighbor across the street has an older pick up truck with a Diesel engine as a project he sometimes works on. When it's running (He lets it run for hours) my vents or open windows pull that exhaust in all day and the whole room smells like diesel, if I don't turn the vents off or switch the carbon block, on which does help to some extent. Buy do these fumes really need to be worried about? I don't know. That's what I want to know.

Have I ever been able to correlate a direct effect in my systems to something in the air, I honestly don't think so, but the effects may not be immediate for all I know
Its not usually one event that kills the coral its a bunch of small stresses that take them out. Maybe you being paranoid is why battle-boxes are so great!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its not usually one event that kills the coral its a bunch of small stresses that take them out. Maybe you being paranoid is why battle-boxes are so great!

LOL yeah maybe! I am with you on the 2 or 3 punch progression that will inevitably take sps out though. seen it play out. too many times.

A little alk swing or some minor parameter quirk. Meh, not often huge issue. But, a little alk swing, and then maybe a temp spike, or a top off fluke. Followed by some unknown pollutant in the air, and that may be enough to do it.

Acro start looking off or peeling or whatever. And then inevitably you start throwing stuff at the wall trying to figure out what's causing it...

This is kind of the story of my life really. lol.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the same thing, but I can say I once battled a massive bacterial bloom in one of my tanks(white snot everywhere). Then one day I notice on the other side of the room one of these air fresheners that shoots out some good smelling spray every x minutes. I asked my wife when she put that up and it corresponded with when my problems started months before. That got unplugged and within a couple weeks the bacteria issues were gone.

Probably not proof of cause/effect if using the scientific method....but was enough proof that those things never allowed in my house anymore.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not exactly the same thing, but I can say I once battled a massive bacterial bloom in one of my tanks(white snot everywhere). Then one day I notice on the other side of the room one of these air fresheners that shoots out some good smelling spray every x minutes. I asked my wife when she put that up and it corresponded with when my problems started months before. That got unplugged and within a couple weeks the bacteria issues were gone.

Probably not proof of cause/effect if using the scientific method....but was enough proof that those things never allowed in my house anymore.
I have heard stories about this "white snot" you mention. I'll admit I have forbid any sort of air freshener or infuser or whatever in my house. scented candles even. lol I had to do do it. it's the paranoia an di do have a few wall mount heppa air purifiers in the house as well for good measure

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it’s that time of year again and the fresh air I should been inhaling tastes of mothballs. Neighbors have a camper just outside where the intake on my large ventilator is.

I hate this so much! I mean it drives me absolutely nuts when I get a whiff of them when I’m up there.

But, I am still very much wondering if the naphthaline in the air from the mothballs could have any harmful affects on my coral.

Anyone have any knowledge on this sort of thing?

VintageReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the problems you have, I have everyday problems - dust/dander/pollen/dog/cat hair

Part of the reason I keep solid lids on all my tanks. That and heat retention, reducing evaporation, and having a platform to hold commonly used items

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the problems you have, I have everyday problems - dust/dander/pollen/dog/cat hair

Part of the reason I keep solid lids on all my tanks. That and heat retention, reducing evaporation, and having a platform to hold commonly used items
These pretty much the same type of contaminants that I deal with. I have a Fluval 407 canister filter that I use for mechanical filtration and I have carbon in it as well. Currently off as I’m dosing the tank wi chemiclean.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from Minnesota, so this sounds crazy but have you talked to your neighbor about the mothballs?

Maybe the fact your livelihood is involved may influence their future choice…

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m from Minnesota, so this sounds crazy but have you talked to your neighbor about the mothballs?

Maybe the fact your livelihood is involved may influence their future choice…
regrettably no, this is going to be my next course of action. I have already printed out some info on how mothballs don' really keep mice away ( it's an old myth apparently) and some alternatives for that measure. I just need to walk over and engage. I've two forces working against me. I know she hates mice and likes the smell of mothballs lol. wish me luck.

still curious though off the vapors are soluble or I can in any way affect the coral.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea man if youre smelling it inside your space its not healthy, and would def talk to them. I found this looking online
"
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) categorizes mothballs (and moth flakes, for that matter) as pesticides. They emphasize strict compliance with safety instructions printed on the pesticide label of any mothball products sold in the United States.

These regulations are in place due to the potential risks of the active ingredients found in mothballs. They're also imposed to prevent mothball products from being used for purposes not described on the label, such as wildlife repellents. The label language makes clear that mothball fumes are intended to kill moths — that's it!"

meaning that technically she's mis-using a pesticide and could be liable, not that you want to go that route but maybe could if things get ugly.....

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yea man if youre smelling it inside your space its not healthy, and would def talk to them. I found this looking online
"
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) categorizes mothballs (and moth flakes, for that matter) as pesticides. They emphasize strict compliance with safety instructions printed on the pesticide label of any mothball products sold in the United States.

These regulations are in place due to the potential risks of the active ingredients found in mothballs. They're also imposed to prevent mothball products from being used for purposes not described on the label, such as wildlife repellents. The label language makes clear that mothball fumes are intended to kill moths — that's it!"

meaning that technically she's mis-using a pesticide and could be liable, not that you want to go that route but maybe could if things get ugly.....
Yeah right indeed. I came across this information too and I don't think it'll get that far, I mean, we've lived here for almost 17 years and you know by all respects are super nice people, but if things got weird I wouldn't hesitate call the cops on her. I don't anticipate that happening though

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mice don't like mint. It's a natural repellent. There are mint sprays for mice deterrents, or even planting peppermint/spearmint plants will do it. They tend to spread easily like weeds though, but I'm sure more pleasant than mothballs.

And I would be wary of diesel exhaust. Especially if it's a pre-emmissions year. I drive an illegal a tuned diesel truck and there's definitely air particulates happening. My husband lets our trucks run sometimes for hours also and the house will smell too. I have not experienced any ill effects from it, but it's something I worry about also. But then again, my husband is also a car painter, and on painting days it's definitely smelly in the house and I haven't seen any correlation with coral issues and his stinky way of making a living. And those are definitely no-no voc's. Warnings up and down every label.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mice don't like mint. It's a natural repellent. There are mint sprays for mice deterrents, or even planting peppermint/spearmint plants will do it. They tend to spread easily like weeds though, but I'm sure more pleasant than mothballs.

And I would be wary of diesel exhaust. Especially if it's a pre-emmissions year. I drive an illegal a tuned diesel truck and there's definitely air particulates happening. My husband lets our trucks run sometimes for hours also and the house will smell too. I have not experienced any ill effects from it, but it's something I worry about also. But then again, my husband is also a car painter, and on painting days it's definitely smelly in the house and I haven't seen any correlation with coral issues and his stinky way of making a living. And those are definitely no-no voc's. Warnings up and down every label.
Yeah, I appreciate the feedback!! Funny thing here about diesel, in this county there are no emissions restrictions due to a lot of the tractors and farming that goes on and cars do not need to pass any emissions test at all.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back