Airstone in quarantine?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched the forums for opinions on air stones and have seen good and bad. But what about in a QT? I tried a cheap powerhead pointed at the top, but in a 10 gallon, it blew the fish all around. So now I’m considering an air stone instead. Is this necessary when using copper? Or even with nothing but just observation? Will the HOB filter provide enough air exchange?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a air driven hydro sponge in mine...
yeah always add air when in doubt....
HOB? Heck for a 10g, most should work. I’m thinking a copper test kit is your next buy if you ain’t got one already...
Not sure where you heard air is bad, maybe a gazzilion micro bubbles in the dt, but I use air driven filters now.
Bad or conflicting Foruminfo, you don’t say :D

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like air stones in general, don't like the way they look or the pump noise, they look like they belong in a goldfish tank hooked up to a pirate's trunk. I've been running a 10 g. quarantine with just a HOB filter and a very small powerhead to keep the water circulating for ages without a problem. I'm not comfortable with just the HOB for air exchange and I prefer a bit more water movement than they provide.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hanna copper checker coming tomorrow. Don’t want to add the copper until I have one.
I am not crazy about the air stone either which is why I got the powerhead, but it is too strong.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
air pumps simple but are noisy
...what’s wrong with those internal power filters? they got a adjustable flow and 2 chambers for media like chemipure or ceramics, et

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back