airwaybill's 180 fts and more

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asked the other day to show an updated fts and some closeups. Still not that great at taking pictures with my new camera but getting better. Here are a few, let me know what you think...

DSC00168.jpg

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a closeup of the clam that you have in the middle-ish. I like the caves you have spread out about the tank.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection of corals and fish. What do you have encrusting on the back wall? That's insane!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that cap on the back wall is NUTS@!!!! I love all the different selection of corals you have in there. Plus the fish! beautiful tank!

OP
OP
O

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close up shots show some of the livestock. Mostly SPS and LPS corals. Also Zoanthid colonies and very few soft corals. Nearly everything started as frags. Tank in its current state is about 2.5 years old. However it has been running nonstop for the past 6 years. Just did a complete revamping about 2 years ago.

The coral growing on the back wall is Blue Ridge Coral (Heliopora coerulea). Very fast grower and i have to keep it trimmed or it will take over other corals. Not much color but the growth forms are amazing.

OP
OP
O

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List of equipment and inhabitants:

180 gallon Allglass dual megaflow with modified returns
Mag drive 12 return pump
125 gallon custom sump filled about 2/3 middle section is a refugium lit with 130 watts powercompact, drains run to right side into a 100 micron sock filter then biopellet reactor and protien skimmer uptake as well as heater chamber, left side is for water volume and pump intake.
Occasional use of GFO and GAC in sock filter for approx 3 day prior to a water change.
Main display lighting: 3x400watt 20000k Radium metal halide run by Coralvue electronic ballasts, 3 54watt actinic T-5 2-460nm 1-420nm
Main display flow is accomplished with two Ecotech Vortech mp40wes pumps alternating between Reef Crest and Ecosmart NTM
Large Suncoast brand needle wheel skimmer soon to be upgraded to a Octopus exteme series ex200
Tank is built into the wall with closet space behind

Bi-weekly 30 gallon water changes done using Aquavitro Salinity salt. Daily additions of Calcium, Alk, and Mag supplements. Weekly additions of Trace elements and Strontium. A few drops of Potassium Iodide weekly. Also dosing Brightwell's Koralcolor, and using Vitamin C and amino acids.

Fish include:
Vlamingi tang
Clown tang
Pyramid butterfly
2 Bangai Cardinal
Pj Cardinal
2 Occellaris clownfish
Indigo dottyback
Five bar mystery wrasse
Green mandarin
Royal Gramma

Inverts:
Many Serpent starfish i've been collecting over the years
Coral banded shrimp
Scarlet hermit crabs
Neon blue hermits
Nerrite snails and astrea snails
some blue leg hermits
Sand sifting star (i've had it 6 years!)
emerald crabs and a couple peppermint shrimp

Corals are mostly Acropora species, and Montipora species
Acanthastrea lord, bowerbankii, and echinata
Zoathid speices
cyphastrea
Derasa clam
and a few more. Just wanted to share....:bigsmile:

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral growing on the back wall is Blue Ridge Coral (Heliopora coerulea). Very fast grower and i have to keep it trimmed or it will take over other corals. Not much color but the growth forms are amazing.

Thanks for the id. I've been having trouble finding pics of that tank in captivity. Im very impressed with the kind of growth youre getting out of it.

OS357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome,
Wow, lots of changes since last pic. Much cleaner look without the power heads all over the tank. Fish room is really cool as well. Love that teal chalice.
I must have missed the update, what happened to the other B-flies and purple tang?
Tank looks great!!!
-JOHN

OP
OP
O

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome,
Wow, lots of changes since last pic. Much cleaner look without the power heads all over the tank. Fish room is really cool as well. Love that teal chalice.
I must have missed the update, what happened to the other B-flies and purple tang?
Tank looks great!!!
-JOHN

Purple tang is in the frag tank keeping it clean. He was still causing problems. I lost 1 b'fly within a week or two. The other slowly wasted away. The third is doing great and I'm trying to get another to go with it. Kinda want a black one. The last one had a deformity that would not allow him to eat enough. I tried to help him but it didn't work.

Teal chalice is a mummy eye. It has recently gone from three to 7 eyes in a matter of weeks. Salinity (salt) is making a big difference with my growth. If you use right after mixing within and 1 or 2, it keeps the levels up much better.

And, I also like the look without the pumps. Vortechs rule!!!

OS357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 1 b'fly within a week or two. The other slowly wasted away.

Bah!!!

Teal chalice is a mummy eye. It has recently gone from three to 7 eyes in a matter of weeks.

Colors really pop as well.

u going to show off ur new skimmer? :bigsmile:
Maybe some frag tank pics?

Thanks for shareing!

OP
OP
O

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah!!!

Colors really pop as well.

u going to show off ur new skimmer? :bigsmile:
Maybe some frag tank pics?

Thanks for shareing!

I have quite a few things to post about. I'll try to get some new stuff up tonight. Frag tank is packed. I'm sure you will all enjoy....:wink:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back