AJ’s 90g SCA tank

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank, and am (so far) happy with the sump. While they call it PNP, I would say that's a stretch. The internal plumbing for the overflow and loc-lines are included, but you still need to complete the plumbing to the sump. I think it is supposed to come with vinyl tubing, but mine didn't, which was fine because I wanted to hard plumb it anyway. You need to design the plumbing, decide on unions and gate valves etc. I did not use the included return pump. I wanted something controllable so went with a DC pump. The SCA pump is my backup.
Nice. Did it come with a skimmer as well?

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29g biocube got full WAY too fast. I’m eager to upgrade and I’m really taking my time to assess all options. I bought this tank used and I have learned a lot since I started it almost a year ago.
1136091F-6C89-48ED-8405-3F03784C406F.jpeg

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SO neglected this thread! 2020 has been a .. let's call it "difficult" year!

The tank is going pretty well apart from a few GHA algae outbreaks. Fish are mostly doing well, with one exception:

In August, my orchid dottyback disappeared one day. No clues - just gone. A month later, it magically appeared in the return chamber of the sump, looking fit and healthy!! So the only logical explanation is that it squeezed it's 1/4"+ wide body through one of the 1/8" slits in the weir, into the 3/8" gap between the weir wall and the glass overflow chamber, then at some point went over the top of the glass and into the overflow proper. Then it went into the standpipe and down into the filter sock in the sump. When the sock overflowed, it surfed out into the sump, worked it's way over two baffles to get to where I found it. This seems highly improbable to me, but I have no other explanation, other than it was kidnapped by aliens. They seem to have treated it well at least.

Anyway, a few weeks ago it disappeared again! This time I used an endoscope camera to check the overflow. No sign of it. I must admit I am waiting for the aliens to return it again.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is going pretty well apart from a few GHA algae outbreaks. Fish are mostly doing well, with one exception:
In August, my orchid dottyback disappeared one day. No clues - just gone. A month later, it magically appeared in the return chamber of the sump, looking fit and healthy!! So the only logical explanation is that it squeezed it's 1/4"+ wide body through one of the 1/8" slits in the weir, into the 3/8" gap between the weir wall and the glass overflow chamber, then at some point went over the top of the glass and into the overflow proper. Then it went into the standpipe and down into the filter sock in the sump. When the sock overflowed, it surfed out into the sump, worked it's way over two baffles to get to where I found it. This seems highly improbable to me, but I have no other explanation, other than it was kidnapped by aliens. They seem to have treated it well at least.

Anyway, a few weeks ago it disappeared again! This time I used an endoscope camera to check the overflow. No sign of it. I must admit I am waiting for the aliens to return it again.
This time the aliens didn’t return her. I did get a strange phone call where the caller ID said “Crab Nebula”, but I couldn’t understand the garbled bubbly noises.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I COME LOOKING FOR ALIEN EGGS !!!
caught up ,soo ..what type of eggs ya' got there??

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank arrived a year ago.
I COME LOOKING FOR ALIEN EGGS !!!
caught up ,soo ..what type of eggs ya' got there??
LOL. Hard to say, but the only suspects are my nassarius or astreas.. although I can’t believe just one snail could lay that many. And how did it criss-cross over the already laid eggs like that?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:)thats a lot of eggs for sure! hopefully not just fish food,we can see what they become.
no nudi's in tank?

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)thats a lot of eggs for sure! hopefully not just fish food,we can see what they become.
no nudi's in tank?
No nudis. Definitely not fish eggs. The only other inhabitants are snails, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp and hermits, so must be one of the snails... or maybe a bunch of them had an egg laying orgy :rolleyes: ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
very nice!!! love the blue clove.. ;) :cool:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes 3rd.. ;Facepalm i knew that..:rolleyes::)

Alexusmc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post updated pics of the sump and DT tank? I've had the SCA 50 pnp for 3 years now and plan on upgrading to the 90 by the end of this year. A great tank for sure. I used the regular tubing for the sump on this tank. It was simple, and works fine. I'm not sure if I'll do the same for the 90 or hard plumb.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post updated pics of the sump and DT tank? I've had the SCA 50 pnp for 3 years now and plan on upgrading to the 90 by the end of this year. A great tank for sure. I used the regular tubing for the sump on this tank. It was simple, and works fine. I'm not sure if I'll do the same for the 90 or hard plumb.
Hi Alex. Sure. I'll do this some time today. Several meetings coming up, and a new coral delivery just arrived. I need to dip and get them in the tank in the next hour or so.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go Alex. I used silicone tubing from BRS for the pump return, and hard plumbing for the rest. I also built a separate controller/ATO cabinet.
IMG-3498.jpg
IMG-3500.jpg
IMG-3501.jpg
IMG-3502.jpg
IMG-3503.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back