Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was about a month back

Grown in about 50% since :)

For the GHL I just used airline tubing

I have Nest cams for my home, probably going to add a Nest Indoor up top and a Outdoor down below

Wow, Our builds are very similar. Setting up my ghl doser now. Where did you get the tubing for yours and what size is it? Thanks

I’m also looking for a camera setup. I use Arlo for my home security but looking for something that I can stream live from an IP address so other people can check it out also.

Do you have your cheato setup yet? Would love to see a pic of it.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad news... I managed to wipe out the majority of my Acros. I'm not entirely sure how but have a reasonable inclination that I spiked my PO4 to .04 while simultaneously causing a bacterial bloom with the Biodigest which stressed them into STN. Unfortunately, was unprepared and ran out of GFO. When I did get new HiCap GFO I ran it for 24 hours before realizing my pump also seized...

On a positive note, the BRS CO2 scrubber I added now maintains my pH around 8.1. I saw 8.2 for the first time ever today! Hoping the media lasts awhile although it seems like the only option for now. Without it my pH can crash below 7.6. I'm also starting to find Coraline cropping up around the tank :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad news... I managed to wipe out the majority of my Acros. I'm not entirely sure how but have a reasonable inclination that I spiked my PO4 to .04 while simultaneously causing a bacterial bloom with the Biodigest which stressed them into STN. Unfortunately, was unprepared and ran out of GFO. When I did get new HiCap GFO I ran it for 24 hours before realizing my pump also seized...

On a positive note, the BRS CO2 scrubber I added now maintains my pH around 8.1. I saw 8.2 for the first time ever today! Hoping the media lasts awhile although it seems like the only option for now. Without it my pH can crash below 7.6. I'm also starting to find Coraline cropping up around the tank :)
Ouch, that is rough! :(

I doubt your PO4 caused any problems but the bacterial bloom is likely the cause or a symptom of whatever impacted your acro's. 0.04ppm PO4 is still very low. PO4 shouldn't cause any issues unless it gets over 0.2ppm and even that is open to debate. I would be scared that I would starve my corals by running GFO if my PO4 was already that low. Learned that one the hard way and killed a few LPS's.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it was the sharp increase, maybe I'm overly cautious but I run my PO4 slightly above 0 to 0.02. Really helps with keeping the glass clean too.

Just staying positive, hopefully the Tyree Lemonade and Pink Floyd pull through!

I am going to send out an ICP test to rule out anything weird being out of wack

jhuntington12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my new XXL 750 online and was putzing around checking out other peoples. Yours is spectacular, sucks for all the livestock loss. Hopefully it will pull thru. Is your chaeto growing at all?

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my new XXL 750 online and was putzing around checking out other peoples. Yours is spectacular, sucks for all the livestock loss. Hopefully it will pull thru. Is your chaeto growing at all?

Thank you, and congrats on joining the family! Means a lot right now, still pretty bumped about the acros but at least the fish are fat and happy.

The Chaeto has grown some but I have seen a noticeable increase in some brown/green algae in the sump only. I'm hoping the HiCap GFO will reduce the unwanted stuff and allow the Chaeto to Flourish

I sent out my Triton ICP a few days ago. Depending on those results I'll consider adding acros again. I may hold out a few more months. Coraline is really taking off. I'm having to substantially increase my Triton dosage.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got my answer to all my frustration. In the last few days what I ruled to by Cyano has most definitely been identified as Dinos and boy have they spread. I'm not in panic mode just yet but I am in fix ASAP mode. I ordered some Dino X after spending a few hours reading around. Unfortunately, they only place I could order from was Canada.

I can't find on the internet anyone reporting pH dropping with Dinos but my pH has dropped from 8.2 to 7.8 even with new CO2 media.

Gotta love this hobby sometimes...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the Dino X works for you!

I can't find on the internet anyone reporting pH dropping with Dinos but my pH has dropped from 8.2 to 7.8 even with new CO2 media.

Most Dino's are photosynthetic so they should be consuming CO2, releasing Oxygen, and raising pH. What you are seeing does feel odd.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a bacteria bloom and am fighting a little cyano. Are you running your fuge light on reverse cycle as well as adding GFO? How low are your phosphates? I would think the combo would kill SPS corals from starvation.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a bacteria bloom and am fighting a little cyano. Are you running your fuge light on reverse cycle as well as adding GFO? How low are your phosphates? I would think the combo would kill SPS corals from starvation.

Yes, hovered at .025 at the time. The dynos overtook the tank right before I went on honeymoon which in turned wiped out the SPS. Sad start for the tank and probably my worse loss in 15+ years, had me down for a few weeks to say the least.

Decided to clean up the tank and let it sit for 6 months or so before I start it back up. It's still running great as far as parameters and fish. Dyno appears to be long gone...

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a pretty long hiatus of dosing the tank with Vibrant and Fluconazole then letting it sit for about 6 months I decided it's time to build this baby into a reef.

Over the last 2/3 weeks I've been doing freqeunt 20% water changes to freshen it up. Bought a bucket heat vacuum and cleared out the whole sump. Additionally, took out any old detritus full cheato. While I plan on continuing to run Triton I did not enjoy how quickly the sump got full of detritus without socks. Leading to more cleaning of pumps,etc. So I will continue to run Triton for the forseeable future but have decided to adjust the system to work for me. I will be adding my media cups with filter floss again and doing small automatic continual water changes. My plan is to start at 2.6 gallons per day which equates to roughly 40% a month which I may cut down to 1.3 gallons over time.

My Nyos has been a finicky skimmer recently. Having a hard time getting it dialed in consistently. Went ahead and installed a proper skimmer stand over the egg crate to maintain a consistent level. Wondering what needs to be done to get it dialed it. I did remove the swabbie and skimmate locker for the time being.

As live stock, I currently stand at zero corals still. I did however add a Black Widow Anemone will be adding a Sherman and Acid BTA today. My goal is give the nems a chance to set up a home in the tank hope for the best and then add SPS. I have adjusted my lighting profiles back to higher intensities now I'm adding live stock. Tentative date for SPS will be early summer.

Can you post pictures of how you plumbed the Various-8 I'm trying to figure that out right now hit a road block.

Sorry, have been slow to check this tread. Are you still in need?

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a pretty long hiatus of dosing the tank with Vibrant and Fluconazole then letting it sit for about 6 months I decided it's time to build this baby into a reef.

Over the last 2/3 weeks I've been doing freqeunt 20% water changes to freshen it up. Bought a bucket heat vacuum and cleared out the whole sump. Additionally, took out any old detritus full cheato. While I plan on continuing to run Triton I did not enjoy how quickly the sump got full of detritus without socks. Leading to more cleaning of pumps,etc. So I will continue to run Triton for the forseeable future but have decided to adjust the system to work for me. I will be adding my media cups with filter floss again and doing small automatic continual water changes. My plan is to start at 2.6 gallons per day which equates to roughly 40% a month which I may cut down to 1.3 gallons over time.

My Nyos has been a finicky skimmer recently. Having a hard time getting it dialed in consistently. Went ahead and installed a proper skimmer stand over the egg crate to maintain a consistent level. Wondering what needs to be done to get it dialed it. I did remove the swabbie and skimmate locker for the time being.

As live stock, I currently stand at zero corals still. I did however add a Black Widow Anemone will be adding a Sherman and Acid BTA today. My goal is give the nems a chance to set up a home in the tank hope for the best and then add SPS. I have adjusted my lighting profiles back to higher intensities now I'm adding live stock. Tentative date for SPS will be early summer.

Sorry, have been slow to check this tread. Are you still in need?
Naw I figured it out. Thank you though.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5480734D-9758-4A7F-9F7B-EB4A34237668.jpeg

Well I guess February is the same time of year I always want to get stuff done with the tank. Over the past year nothing has really changed. With the exception of adding an Achilles Tang about six months ago... until today. I decided to do a full rescape and remove a large portion of rock as I decided it was over bearing and a detritus trap. I’ve also ordered 2x more MP40s to up the flow and keep detritus from settling. I’ve been tracking my NO3 at around 1 and PO4 .02 or less but my anemones aren’t doing well. I’m thinking there’s so much algae growth in some of the rocks they are just consuming the PO4 giving false readings. Looking into some ways to kill off what’s currently on the rocks (side note ditched Triton)... I’ve also ordered a pair of Ecotech Versas in an attempt to get my AWC off the ground as it never came into usage with the DOS due to the extreme noise... plan is to dial in the tank in the near future and get back on the SPS train

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right On! You have a beautiful home, the tank is a great addition (3 years ago). I'm glad to see someone else have great success with the moorish idol, he is hands down my favorite fish!!! I had immediate buyers remorse but after a few days of watching him eat, I grew to love that guy!!! Now that we have better choices of food, I think we will start seeing them in more tanks.

I too just lost a battle with high nutrients that sent my tank into a downward spiral, nitrates at +50 and phosphates at 0.2 (that's not a typo). Lost quite a few corals myself, I ended up going back to what I knew, and started dosing vodka. N and P are back in acceptable range and things are looking up again. In another month it's time to add more corals.

Glad to read you're adding 2 more mp40s, those things move a lot of water and with the extra 2 you will keep the detritus from settling in the sand.

Same with the Versa's I got 2 for AWC, they're pumping in constant mode at 13.2 ml/min. I absolutely love them, super quiet. Next big purchase will be the versa quad pack, all my dosing needs will be with those pumps. And once they roll out more options for the Mobius, you will be able to have control of all your ETM equipment (plus more) on one app.

Hope to see more, of your progress. definitely following along!

Jimmy

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right On! You have a beautiful home, the tank is a great addition (3 years ago). I'm glad to see someone else have great success with the moorish idol, he is hands down my favorite fish!!! I had immediate buyers remorse but after a few days of watching him eat, I grew to love that guy!!! Now that we have better choices of food, I think we will start seeing them in more tanks.

I too just lost a battle with high nutrients that sent my tank into a downward spiral, nitrates at +50 and phosphates at 0.2 (that's not a typo). Lost quite a few corals myself, I ended up going back to what I knew, and started dosing vodka. N and P are back in acceptable range and things are looking up again. In another month it's time to add more corals.

Glad to read you're adding 2 more mp40s, those things move a lot of water and with the extra 2 you will keep the detritus from settling in the sand.

Same with the Versa's I got 2 for AWC, they're pumping in constant mode at 13.2 ml/min. I absolutely love them, super quiet. Next big purchase will be the versa quad pack, all my dosing needs will be with those pumps. And once they roll out more options for the Mobius, you will be able to have control of all your ETM equipment (plus more) on one app.

Hope to see more, of your progress. definitely following along!

Jimmy

Thanks for taking the time to read through my build :) Definitely some major ups and downs but that’s how it goes.

I’m treating the current as a “new tank” setup almost just one that’s been very well cycled hah. The MP40 additions seem to have really helped move water behind my rocks. After 5 days or so I have two small detritus piles I can suck up easily now. As for the Versas they are a wonderful product. They did leak at first but Ecotech, and their awesome support, shipped out replacement parts super quickly. My limiting factor is my current mixing tank at 29 gallons so I’m thinking 9ml/min all week long. To aid in the mentality of “touching” my tank once a week I ran an Ethernet USB to my utility room where my RODI is in order to add a FMM. If all goes to plan I will be able to fully automate refilling my RODI tank. Allowing me to fill the salt tank and mix salt once a week. Really hope it works!

Side note - I’m seriously contemplating selling my
GHL 2.1 and buying Versas to replace my doser when I start dosing again. Mobius UI is next level.

I made a little laundry list of tasks for this week. First, I ran 1” PVC behind the tank, through the attic and on to my deck for a fresh air supply to the skimmer. I’ll be keeping my scrubber in-line but hoping I can get 8.2-8.4 PH. Next few days hoping to find time to give my equipment a deep clean; skimmer, pumps and Radions. Replace and calibrate probes and then ship off a ICP test. Giving the tank a full fresh start.

I’m thinking about boosting my fish load once again but due to being very attached to my current stocking I am looking into setting up a QT tank once again. Lots in the works!
1BFE3E51-2875-454A-9183-FF45EA8F555E.jpeg
A bit messy after yanking out the DOS silencing box, will need to clean up

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep my self honest, quick update.

Shortly after fitting my “fresh air vent” for the skimmer I noticed my pH gradually fall. Through investigation realized that the silcencer had a second smaller intake that must’ve been utilized over the fresh air due to resistance. I also found my make shift fitting to be taking in some interior air where the filter met the tubing. So I patched the silencer with a piece of airline tubing knotted and placed underwater and set off to Lowes for finding a solution to join the 3/8ID tubing to piping. After almost giving up I found a 1/2” pipe to 3/8” tubing adapter which made life so easy! Came home and glued up the piece for a perfect fit. Still have one section before the carbon filter left to glue but I can’t hear air entering so I’m not in a big rush.

After adding and calibrating a new probe I’m reading an all time high 8.2 pH. Very happy with the results. I’m hoping the scrubbing media lasts awhile with the outside air.

Cleaned up and dusted my Radions today boy were they dirty. Followed by my water test for the week. Finally, seeing some NO3 at ~5ppm (Nyos test kit is less than optimal in this range) and PO4 around .04. Which would explain why my nem is showing some color! Happy with these levels and will continue to monitor. Took my ICP samples to be mailed out sometime tomorrow.

FMM arrived and is hooked up to automate RO water making. Just need to code for the APEX. Planning on calibrating the Versas and finishing some tank cleaning tomorrow (thinking critic acid wash of the return) to wrap up the tasks for the week.

6872522F-91B3-49F1-9F81-E241B259FAE8.jpeg 194984B3-5509-42B2-9724-671B211054CC.jpeg A7C965DD-83BE-4FC8-824B-E6A52C2B4A86.jpeg

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another weekend full of projects...

After seeing plenty of Clarisea installs on Redsea Owner Group decided to finally pull the trigger on getting one. Was pretty nervous about cutting out the sump but with some patience it all came out in complete pieces. Used a 32mm x 1” converter from BRS and a 32mm x 32mm coupling for the installation. Decided to replace the frustrating Red Sea valve while I was at it and made sure to add a union should I need to remove. Overall, it took about 3 hours including a trip to Lowes. Albeit, I did spend an hour last night beforehand to build the darn thing. Personally, I think for the price it should come assembled. For now I dialed my return all the way back but may look to increase in the future. There’s a slight water noise that I’m not too keen on but I suppose the pros outweigh the cons.

Versas have been completing AWC continuous for a few days and seemingly doing very well. Extremely happy with the noise level.

I replaced the tubing from my skimmer to CO2 scrubber with silicone for a better fit. While I was at it I ran a new line for my skimmate locker in case I decided to set it up. Which seems likely with a vacation on the horizon. Not sure if I’m going to try the Swabbie again though.

Just when you start thinking you’re almost completely done with the improvements you get more ideas... Thinking up next I’ll add under cabinet lighting to help with maintence but more importantly to turn on remotely so I can get better images of the sump and water level when I check in on the tank via webcams. While refilling the tank manually today I also realized I missed a major opportunity to run pipe straight from my mixing tank to my sump. A 3/4” hole in the stand and wall behind should make it an easy task as there’s already access between my two fish cabinets. While it may not be super necessary with the AWC it may be nice to have. I went ahead and measured the hole location. If done right I should be able to cover with a blank plate if I ever do. I’m also looking into plastic vertical tanks to replace my twin 29 gallon tanks with potentially ~50 gallons. Not sure if it’s worth it but would extend my water change capabilities
3809DCFE-81CB-4B86-B89E-E9EEF830C44D.jpeg

4990F14D-836C-440C-9035-3B38A2CD2359.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back