0   0   0
FTS - April 2021

EA93F544-C704-48EE-AACD-260D41001A7B.jpeg

Equipment:
Tank - Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Return Pump - Varios 8 w/ split 3/4" Loc-Line return
Lighting - 4x Radion XR30 Gen5 Pro
Flow - 4x Vortech MP40-QD
Skimmer - Bubble King 180 SC (Vented externally)
Controller - Neptune Apex w/ Trident
AWC System - Dual Versa Pumps
Doser: 2x Neptune DOS (BRS 2 part + mg)
Manifold - Varios 8 w/ BRS deluxe reactor (carbon), UV reactor Pentair 80w HO (3x turnover)
Chi

Target Parameters:
Temperature: 77-79
pH: 8.0-8.4
Alkalinity: 8 dKH
Calcium: 440ppm
Magnesium: 1350ppm
NO3: <15ppm
PO4: 0.01-.075ppm

Fish and Cleaners:
Blue Tang - Sheila
Yellow Tang - Saffron
Kole Tang - Kole
Blue Throat Triggerfish
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Gold Bar Maroon Pair - Chill and Pepper
Blue Chromis

Corals:

Acros:

ASD Rainbow Millie
ASD Strawberry Shortcake
Garf Bonsai
Walt Disney
WWC Dragon Slayer
* forgot the name of others :D

Acans:
ASD Mint Chip
ASD Rainbow Circus
ASD Red Tiger
Peppermint

Euphyilla:
Aussie Gold Torch
Gold Stem Hammer Wall
Gold Hammer Branching

Others:
24k Lepto
ASD Toxic Graft Chalice
JF Green Eggs and Ham Monti
Forest Fire Digitata
Rainbow Monti
Ultra Sunset Plate
WWC Lucky Charms Monti
WWC OG Grafted Monti
WWC Sunfire Cap Monti

Old Shots:

Fh1.jpg
Side1.jpg side2.jpg IMG_1838.jpg

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like it has amazing potential! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say that wall was built to have a tank against it. Following along for sure!

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original post:

In the last few years I've moved around a fair bit since graduating college. Throughout college I kept several different nano reef set ups; 12 Gallon Biocube, IM 20 Gallon, Fluval spec, etc. During that time I also set up a 90 gallon mixed reef at my parents house. Over the past few years I've drooled over getting a Red Sea tank. I've also always wanted a Blue Tang but didn't want to face a charge from the Tang police. Which meant a six foot tank, something I've never had room for...

Until recently when I purchased my own home and got married. My parents then mentioned that they would also be relocating but wanted to offer the livestock/tank they had as they decided to not have a tank in their new home for some time. I immediately went on the hunt for what tank set up I wanted. By chance one day I walked into a LFS and saw a Reefer 750 XXL. The next thing I know an offer was made my parents to have the 750 as a wedding gift...The rest is history.

Plans for the build:

Due to my parents relocating I will be in inheriting the live stock from the 90G mixed reef. Some SPS and LPS, and some beautiful fish. Mainly, my favorite Yellow Tang. Below are some pictures of the 90G over the past few years.
kEXkn5w.jpg

EBgHNQS.jpg

My main goal with this tank is automation. I love everything "smart home" I want my tank to be just as "smart" as the rest of my house. This includes an attempt at doing automatic water changes with the Neptune DOS. After some discussion with the wife I gained the okay to use a hallway closet as a "fish closet" this closet will store RODI and fresh salt tanks as well as a quarantine tank. The RODI unit will be hooked up in the laundry room which is about 20 feet away. Waste water from the AWC system will also be sent down the washer drain. To accomplish this I will be running RO and NOS tubing through the attic inside of conduit. According to what I have read this should be feasible...Time will tell. Additionally, all electronics will be mounted in a seperate closet behind the tank.

3v0aqvC.jpg

The Specs:

Tank - Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Return Pump - Jebao DCT-1200 w/ VCA random flow adapter
Lighting - 3x Radion XR30 Gen4 Pro
Flow - 2x Vortech MP40-QD
Skimmer - Reef Octopus 150int (from 90G)
Controller - Neptune Apex
AWC System - Neptune DOS, with FMM equipped with solenoids and optical sensors
Chiller - JBJ 1/5hp

Future Tank Picture:
s3QSi0a.jpg

It's the big week! I was maxed out on time off at work, so I have the week off too!

Some progress made already this morning. Had the wife help run tubing through the conduit yesterday. It was tougher than anticipated but we got it pushed through. Luckily, we have a cold front down in FL so the attic was a much more comfortable temperature today. Managed to run the conduit/tubing between the laundry room and fish closet. Still need to build the shelving for RODI/SW/Quarantine in the closet. Also need to figure out how to connect the RODI to laundry machine and whether I want to have the unit in the laundry or closet.

Of course, when I buy a 72" tank my outlets on the wall are 78" apart. Combined with the fact I have had saltwater hit an extension chord a few times before in the hobby...enough to scare me otherwise. So the next challenge was moving the power outlet to the second closet I'll be using for all electrical and controller which proved easy. Now I just need to make a pass through in the wall. Long term I may move a plug from the bedroom inside the closet as well to span two circuits. Additionally, I finally upacked those darn moving boxes in the picture ;Dead

o0PNNZH.jpg

One of the first equipment shipments came Friday. APEX, DOS, FMM, WXM and sensors/solenoids

Now the news that has me anxious... UPS LTL stated they weren't doing residential deliveries tomorrow (scheduled delivery) so they have rescheduled the tank for Wednesday. Hoping in comes. Have the LFS coming by Thursday for setup!

To do list:

-Make pass through into closet
-Apex mount board
-Water closet shelving

I love that the cat is already in position for the new tank!

She's quite the curious cat, here's to hoping she never takes a swim! :)

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice I'm in same boat , just buying a new house and getting settled in but the reefer is what I have planned too. Have almost identical gear setup except going deltec a gyre , an mp 40, And an accel pellet reactor but following along!!! It looks like you got it all planned out nicely . Can't wait to see it all done . Awesome stuff!!

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I'm in same boat , just buying a new house and getting settled in but the reefer is what I have planned too. Have almost identical gear setup except going deltec a gyre , an mp 40, And an accel pellet reactor but following along!!! It looks like you got it all planned out nicely . Can't wait to see it all done . Awesome stuff!!

Once the stocking goes up a new skimmer is on the list. I’ve been eyeing the Nyos 160. I definitely want a silent option as I’m obsessive about noise.

Have to look into the pellet reactor. What do you plan on dosing for them?

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread! Can you explain your AWC system and how it works?

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the stocking goes up a new skimmer is on the list. I’ve been eyeing the Nyos 160.

I'm building a 750 next month, and I am planning on picking up the NYOS 160. Apparently runs well out of the box, is quiet, and looks good :)

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread! Can you explain your AWC system and how it works?

It’s comprised of the Neptune DOS doing most the work. The DOS is just two metered peristaltic pumps integrated into the Apex to allow metered water changes that match water removed with water replaced. I ran 6mm OD x 4mm ID tubing that Neptune recommends from the “water change closet” to the laundry room as well as an RODI line. My plan is run the dirty water tubing from the tank to the drain in my laundry room. The clean water will be made in the closet which will hold a 29 gallon RODI and 29 gallon SW tank. A line will run from the SW tank to the sump.

For additional automation I picked up a Fluid Monitoring Module (FMM). I’ll have optical sensors for RODI high/low, SW low and Sump high (failsafe). I have a solenoid for the incoming RODI line to prevent overflows on the RODI tank.

This should allow me to do 2 gallon water changes daily while only having to mix salt every two weeks, which takes less than 5 minutes; open valve between RODI and SW tank, fill tank, add salt. Of course the volume of changes could be scaled up or down. The big thing for me is no buckets!

My plan goes as far as having a gravity fed ATO line from the 29G to the display with float valves and a second solenoid. Idea here is allow the valve to be open X minutes every few hours to be “safer”.

All of this is untested as of now but I have faith and trust in Neptune Systems.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today (11/2) was the day!

Thanks for Coral Logic here in Jacksonville the tank is in the house.

Initial thoughts... This set up is clean! The stand and tank athestically are great. I love the way the tank seems to float over the cabinet. The extra height of the cabinet goes a long way too. The leveling feet are a really awesome touch. I had no idea my floor was out so much but with the feet system my tank is level. Within the first 10 minutes of messing I was able to get the tank essentially silent which is awesome. Aside from the Radion fans -.-. Side note, the entire stand seems to be made out of wood and not MDF. Not sure if this is new but really please with the tank!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Rocks are in the tank and cycling assisted with Dr Tims as of 11/8. Got a nice deal on Carbib Sea Life Rock, I'm guessing I ended up using about 140lbs Ammonia rose up to 2pmm and is now hovering around 1ppm. Hoping to see Nitrites when I test in a few days. Currently, water has gotten a little cloudy, hopefully that will clear quickly too.

RODI/SW/QT Rack is finished. Just need to figure out RODI filter mounting in the laundry and programming for the Apex Hi/Lo Sensors and solenoid.

MP40s Mounted on both ends, still need to program a good schedule.

This weeks to-do; monitor cycling, mount RODI and try to get most of my electronics/APEX mounted in the closet.

Bonus - Current solution to the awkward height/angle required to fill the ATO. I see a new reservoir in the future...

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly 3 weeks in, finally have almost all the equipment set up. Water change closet complete and DOS is calibrated. Pushes the water no problem but haven't turn an auto cycle on yet. Control board about 80% done, now just wire management needed. Boy does modern aquarium tech have a lot of power bricks... Additionally, whipped up a away to "more easily" fill the ATO reservoir. Took a T off the RODI tank in 1/2inch. Added a valve with an end cap. Drilled a 1/4inch hole, ran RO tubing through hole and plumbers cemented it in. Then ran the line all the way to the ATO reservoir. Works great as long as my RODI tank has 8+ gallons for head pressure. Only downside is that it's currently a slow fill and manual. BUT, I have an extra optical sensor and solenoid which I may use to make it automatic!

Cycle seems to be complete. However, I did get a pretty thick bacterial bloom. Hoping a bit of carbon and ~90 gallon W/C will knock it out. Fish coming this week!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice i was concerned about using 3 rms mounts mainly because of the position on the overflow and that center light but it looks like yours worked out fine. awesome good stuff. im getting closer and closer. im having an electrician come in to make sure i got the proper power in my room..lol.. everything looks awesome though, are you still using the ato reservoir it comes with , and that new setup just to feed it or did you just scrap it completley?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back