alage scrubber

dbandit72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
newbe here got a 80gal sca have been up for about 9 months I've been running my alage scrubber and I noticed it would build up alage and them some times alage disappears for some strange reason anyone know about this any info would help thanks

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any numbers on your tank, namely Phosphate and Nitrate? Those are the primary foods for a scrubber, if they are near zero this could be why.

Just a quick note, if you have any coral you do not want either of those bottoming out. Will cause quick death in many coral, especially SPS.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, I am guessing the scrubber is absorbing all of the available nutrients. Algae scrubbers are extremely efficient.....you might want to limit the amount of time the lights are on the scrubber until you find a balance. I would definitely test.....a lot lol......until you know what you are dealing with.

OP
OP
dbandit72

dbandit72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
newbe here got a 80gal sca have been up for about 9 months I've been running my alage scrubber and I noticed it would build up alage and them some times alage disappears for some strange reason anyone know about this any info would help thanks
nitrate 12 phosphate 0.1 do I need to feed more only have 3 fish some acons torches and a few outhers

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate 12 phosphate 0.1 do I need to feed more only have 3 fish some acons torches and a few outhers
If those numbers are accurate (phosphate is .1 and not .01?) then nutrients are not your issue.....unless the algae grows, uses up nutrients, disappears and doesn't start growing again until the nutrients build back up. I would keep everything as is and just test phosphates every other day for a week or two to see if you notice any trends.

OP
OP
dbandit72

dbandit72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those numbers are accurate (phosphate is .1 and not .01?) then nutrients are not your issue.....unless the algae grows, uses up nutrients, disappears and doesn't start growing again until the nutrients build back up. I would keep everything as is and just test phosphates every other day for a week or two to see if you notice any trends.
appreciate the info yes it comes and gose I also run a skimmer in there ? is that what might be battling out with the scrubber??

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate the info yes it comes and gose I also run a skimmer in there ? is that what might be battling out with the scrubber??
Really hard to say until you determine if your nutrients are in fact bottoming out. I can't think of any other reason why nuisance algae wouldn't grow in a scrubber. I have grown GHA in a garbage can in the dark without any issues lol. Nutrients are the one thing they do need though. I would keep running everything as you are and just start testing phosphates and nitrates every other day and see if nutrient levels align with your algae growth (or lack of growth).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back