AlexGs 4200 Gallon Display + 2100 gallon fish room? --- New House = New Build

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am dosing some phyto into the 700 every few days. Your post was my reminder so I just dosed the 700 gallon tank with phyto. Getting phyto cultures going is on my to do list in the next few weeks.
You are welcome for the reminder :p Phyto cultures are going to be awesome to see with your build as well! Where do you plan on putting it?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome for the reminder :p Phyto cultures are going to be awesome to see with your build as well! Where do you plan on putting it?

To start off I think the cultures will be stand alone in the fish room and I will just manual dose phyto as needed. Eventually I want to start messing around with making a phyto reactor by pulling water from the UV sterilizer output and dripping it into the phyto cultures with a dosing pump. Then use gravity or a dosing pump to take phyto from the reactor into the sump tanks near return pump intakes or divert that directly to tanks in the fish room. I might also consider dosing into some pod cultures that are separated from the system that are meant for target feedings. I am also going to restart my dino cultures as I miss raising those little guys since the move but they are really easy stand alone cultures.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a pretty cool concept!!!! What type of container do you plan to use for the phyto so that the drip system and dosing pumps work for you?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty cool concept!!!! What type of container do you plan to use for the phyto so that the drip system and dosing pumps work for you?

I was thinking I might use a glass containers or acrylic so I could keep some flat sides and use bulkheads for a gravity drain. I would consider an HDPE tank of some kind but I don't think it would be the most efficient material since it blocks out a lot of light for phyto but it would work for pod cultures. Whatever size/type I go with though I would ideally need to keep them relatively small with two running or alternate them with cleanings as I am sure contamination will take root and crash the phyto without regular cleanings even with a supply of sterilized water. I am thinking the dosing pump can run a few times a day for a short period to start as I think a constant drip might be a little difficult to figure out based on phyto production. A second dosing pump might also be needed to feed the phyto fertilizer if the nutrient levels in the system are not high enough to cover their growth. I was considering this for my last system but never got around to it. Might be a while before I tackle the project for this system but at least it keeps my concept fresh. Phyto cultures in glass beakers is my first stop.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

The secondary sump fill test is underway with ~200 gallons of RO/DI water added to the tank. I will test fill to the level of the primary sump as I don't want to waste a bunch of RO/DI water for a test fill to capacity. The only time this sump tank should be near capacity will be if there is a power failure and the main display drains into the sumps. This sump tank has a capacity of a little over 500 gallons. This fill test will be two weeks long and I will be keeping a close eye on the sump interconnect plumbing to ensure there are no leaks. The 4" sump interconnect line is ~9' long so getting proper alignment between the bulkhead fittings was critical to get right. I used a 4" union on the interconnect to make installation easier so I did not have to try and align the bulkhead and glue in 4" PVC fittings at the same time. The 4" bulkhead and threaded fittings were a cleaned with alcohol and sealed with silicone 1 during installation. The union will also allow the interconnect to be serviced if it needs a cleanout or repair in the future. Since the secondary sump and primary sumps are at the same level I decided to install an emergency overflow bulkhead near the top of the secondary sump just in case the sumps near capacity this bulkhead will have plumbing that connects to the floor drain for flood prevention. With the sump needing to be tested for a couple of weeks I am going to turn my attention to adding tops to this tank and building the shelf above the sump tank that will be used for holding equipment and controllers for equipment. Once the construction is completed on the secondary sump the fish room tanks will more or less be done. Then I am going to put some focus on organizing and building some shelfs/counters in the fish room to make it the way I want it. Then its on to building the display tank. On a side note I decided to fire up a phytoplankton station and have started growing out some phyto in 2 x 500ml flasks.

20210526_200058.jpg
20210526_205502.jpg
IMG_20210529_083056_833.jpg

IMG_20210529_135015_876.jpg

The white 2x4 thing above and to the right is my 4" bulkhead wrench lol
IMG_20210531_093602_768.jpg
20210531_144135.jpg

20210602_095647.jpg
20210602_095700.jpg
20210602_095712.jpg

20210531_191645.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo if I asked the size of the display the answer would be?! ;)

I can think of a few answers :D
  • Larger than the combined water volume of the two displays in the last system
  • Classified
  • Appropriate size for the animals I intend to house
  • Size is a relative word
  • Aquarium may be larger than it appears
  • Its not the size of the aquarium that counts

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of a few answers :D
  • Larger than the combined water volume of the two displays in the last system
  • Classified
  • Appropriate size for the animals I intend to house
  • Size is a relative word
  • Aquarium may be larger than it appears
  • Its not the size of the aquarium that counts

If I flew I would be over the pond just to poke you in the eye! ;)

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I flew I would be over the pond just to poke you in the eye! ;)
When the time is right I will start showing the display or parts of it at least. I think since the display is still just a plan in my head its not real yet and I don't want to share something that might get changed. I am thinking that once the stand is under construction I will share more on the display since that will be the real signal that I am following through with my display plans.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the time is right I will start showing the display or parts of it at least. I think since the display is still just a plan in my head its not real yet and I don't want to share something that might get changed. I am thinking that once the stand is under construction I will share more on the display since that will be the real signal that I am following through with my display plans.

You know I am pulling your chain, can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update time

The secondary sump fill test is underway with ~200 gallons of RO/DI water added to the tank. I will test fill to the level of the primary sump as I don't want to waste a bunch of RO/DI water for a test fill to capacity. The only time this sump tank should be near capacity will be if there is a power failure and the main display drains into the sumps. This sump tank has a capacity of a little over 500 gallons. This fill test will be two weeks long and I will be keeping a close eye on the sump interconnect plumbing to ensure there are no leaks. The 4" sump interconnect line is ~9' long so getting proper alignment between the bulkhead fittings was critical to get right. I used a 4" union on the interconnect to make installation easier so I did not have to try and align the bulkhead and glue in 4" PVC fittings at the same time. The 4" bulkhead and threaded fittings were a cleaned with alcohol and sealed with silicone 1 during installation. The union will also allow the interconnect to be serviced if it needs a cleanout or repair in the future. Since the secondary sump and primary sumps are at the same level I decided to install an emergency overflow bulkhead near the top of the secondary sump just in case the sumps near capacity this bulkhead will have plumbing that connects to the floor drain for flood prevention. With the sump needing to be tested for a couple of weeks I am going to turn my attention to adding tops to this tank and building the shelf above the sump tank that will be used for holding equipment and controllers for equipment. Once the construction is completed on the secondary sump the fish room tanks will more or less be done. Then I am going to put some focus on organizing and building some shelfs/counters in the fish room to make it the way I want it. Then its on to building the display tank. On a side note I decided to fire up a phytoplankton station and have started growing out some phyto in 2 x 500ml flasks.

20210526_200058.jpg
20210526_205502.jpg
IMG_20210529_083056_833.jpg

IMG_20210529_135015_876.jpg

The white 2x4 thing above and to the right is my 4" bulkhead wrench lol
IMG_20210531_093602_768.jpg
20210531_144135.jpg

20210602_095647.jpg
20210602_095700.jpg
20210602_095712.jpg

20210531_191645.jpg

Killer work bro!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It made me sad watching pull down video and pics so I have know idea how you felt.
New beginnings, onwards and upwards. :)
It was not easy doing the teardown. I did promise my wife that those tanks would not stand in the way of a decision to move. I was not expecting to build a new house though which drastically changed my plan from building full scale pond liner temp tanks for a single move to downsizing to a small temp tank and moving twice in 4 months. The first cut into the 720 with the saw was the hardest but once it was done it was DONE. It got a little easier after that but it was a ton of work.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stop getting notifications for all my favorite build threads :confused: hopefully posting will fix that

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not easy doing the teardown. I did promise my wife that those tanks would not stand in the way of a decision to move. I was not expecting to build a new house though which drastically changed my plan from building full scale pond liner temp tanks for a single move to downsizing to a small temp tank and moving twice in 4 months. The first cut into the 720 with the saw was the hardest but once it was done it was DONE. It got a little easier after that but it was a ton of work.
I’m in the middle of my move from Toledo to Cincinnati. The Mrs. and I have a condo in Toledo where my 210 reef + 75 pred + 100 sump are, now we have the Cinci place where the build you gave me some advice on is… I CANNOT BELIEVE you moved twice in four months. I haven’t moved a single piece of livestock and I’m already sitting here like “never moving again.” Good luck!! Love your vids, everything you do is super helpful :)

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of my move from Toledo to Cincinnati. The Mrs. and I have a condo in Toledo where my 210 reef + 75 pred + 100 sump are, now we have the Cinci place where the build you gave me some advice on is… I CANNOT BELIEVE you moved twice in four months. I haven’t moved a single piece of livestock and I’m already sitting here like “never moving again.” Good luck!! Love your vids, everything you do is super helpful :)

Just wait until you are about half-way through the aquarium teardown/move and then it will sink in. It's the I can't believe I did this/there is no going back now feeling coupled with pure exhaustion. There are no words for those feelings only pictures.

20200831_162656.jpg

20200831_211057.jpg
20200901_111510.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back