AlexGs 4200 Gallon Display + 2100 gallon fish room? --- New House = New Build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the novel…. Errrr I mean update! Haha you know we are addicts. Feed us :)
1624589488617.gif

WARNING! This site has cookies!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a new strategy for framing… what’s the thought process here? Have 2x6s on outside for external support?

There were two challenges when I was designing this display tank. One is the method to support the canopy. At my last home I mounted the light rack, electrical, and canopy panels directly to the ceiling on the floor joists above the tank. In my new home the basement is finished and I do not want to touch the ceiling drywall. Mainly because my wife would never stand for me ripping out the new finished basement ceiling and I would rather not do that this time around since there is duct work and electrical in the way. The other challenge is the need for a bracing to support the bottom glass and I want a 2" overlap of the bottom glass for the RTV seal.

The 2x6 will be the outer horizontal brace positioned directly below where the glass will sit on the top of the stand. The overlap of the 2x6s and 2x4s is 6". The plywood on the top of the stand will have a 6" border around the entire tank stand. This will provide enough room to add a glass bracing support beam that will be bolted through the plywood of the stand top. It will also be used to build columns that will extend from tank stand to support the upper tank frame that holds the glass in place and cross braces along with the canopy structure.

This will essentially allow me to build the entire stand and canopy without the glass. Once I have the structure built I can order the glass and place it directly into the tank for final assembly the day it is delivered. This also takes all the weight of the canopy off the glass and puts it into the stand and floor directly.

Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Won't be using 4x4s but hollow columns made of wood will be used. This was just a concept drawing so its not the dimensions and/or shape of the final tank design.
new tank concept.png

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really impressed with your planning and execution. Definitely enjoy watching the progress.
Glad you are enjoying the build. I have been overdoing it a bit on planning. Its all in my head. I have never done a 3D design, detailed drawings, or wrote out any formal plans. Just a few rough sketches for thinking out the methods I need to use to complete the different parts of the build.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but do you have certain stocking plans for this new display? Anything unusual?

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following you for a couple of years. Really impressive what you design. What do you do for a living? Hopefully you work for HD so you can get a discount on all this lumber and plumbing parts you use :).

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but do you have certain stocking plans for this new display? Anything unusual?

The plan at the moment is to have a split display with 2/3's dedicated to reef and 1/3 dedicated to non-reef safe fish. I am considering getting an epaulette shark or other small shark species or possibly some rays in the reef tank section since it will be an appropriate sized tank for them. The rest of the reef tank stocking will be reef-safe fish. On the non-reef safe side I am considering a few lookdowns. Nothing is finalized though and I expect the display tank stocking will likely take a few years to complete so plans might change. In the fish room I will have another dedicated mantis shrimp tank again and possibly a macro algae tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More progress on the stand last night. Two rows of support legs done. The laser level works great for building a monster aquarium stand.

IMG_20210628_222933_477.jpg
IMG_20210628_193947_132.jpg
That's serious business!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update.

Stand construction is still under way. This is going to take a while. The first section came together really well but it's time consuming to cut each 2x4 leg custom to keep the stand level with the floor. The fish room is running well the alk is down to ~9 now so almost back into my acceptable range. One issue I am having though is a lack of Po4 and No3. To try and boost these levels I have had the skimmer off for over a week, feeding extra, and I added some filter floss in the sock tray that is never used so it can start generating some nitrates for me. I really think I am going to start adding some fish so I can get a natural nutrient boost into the system. It might be time to get my arrival center aquarium running so I can slowly start adding some fish into the system.
IMG_20210702_181139_785.jpg
20210702_180956.jpg
IMG_20210703_103317_868.jpg

20210707_214146.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks to be a really solid build!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from a week at EAA air venture. The tank did good for the most part. The couple pieces of SPS i had bleached but there is still a small bit left. The fish are good and some algae is growing and that's good. The system has a ways to go before it is balanced. Back to working on the display aquarium stand. I need another load of lumber.

20210804_215308.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back