AlexGs 4200 Gallon Display + 2100 gallon fish room? --- New House = New Build

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly a huge tank on the way! Going to very cool to see it (hopefully a bit here and there along the way!) when completed.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly a huge tank on the way! Going to very cool to see it (hopefully a bit here and there along the way!) when completed.
A little more progress every week is all I need. I think the stand and the tank bottom will be the hardest part.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, the new update us awesome! I've been following along intently as you move through this build.

I noticed in the video you were having issues with pH. Have you thought about adding plants to the sump/fuge/display tanks room? I think 6-8 fast growing plants could help to change the ratio of C02:02 quite a bit and help increase your pH.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, the new update us awesome! I've been following along intently as you move through this build.

I noticed in the video you were having issues with pH. Have you thought about adding plants to the sump/fuge/display tanks room? I think 6-8 fast growing plants could help to change the ratio of C02:02 quite a bit and help increase your pH.
Thanks @Sltloser
I considered adding some plants a few months ago but I got caught up in kalk dosing. I might need to revisit plants idea once again. I was considering a species of fast growing bamboo at one time to see if that would help increase the pH. I do need to get a CO2 monitor though so I can take some measurements as I am flying blind at this point to understand the difference between CO2 levels outside vs inside vs fishroom vs other rooms in the house.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Sltloser
I considered adding some plants a few months ago but I got caught up in kalk dosing. I might need to revisit plants idea once again. I was considering a species of fast growing bamboo at one time to see if that would help increase the pH. I do need to get a CO2 monitor though so I can take some measurements as I am flying blind at this point to understand the difference between CO2 levels outside vs inside vs fishroom vs other rooms in the house.
I totally get that, until you have that dialed in it can be hard to know if it's just C02 levels or not. A monitor for that would be awesome, I would definitely be interested in what readings looked like before/after plants. To be honest I'm not sure how well bamboo would work, I would assume you would want something that has abundant or large leaves for gas exchange?

I was in a similar situation, although in an apartment, my roommate added plants to her room and within a few months my swing was 7.9-8.3 every day. I eventually moved apartments and have been battling pH swings ever since. What's really interesting is that if my new roommate and I are out of town for work I have 0 issues with pH swings. If either or both of us are here I have to have balance on a dosing pump so it doesn't crash at night. So now it's time for me to get plants again

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the display stand today and I am realizing what a mess my workshop area is. Lots of side projects piling up. I got 2 platinum blue DC pumps with a 30% off coupon from the manufacturer at Aquashella. I plumbed the main run for my water change station pump out to the sewer line. I did a 200gallon water change this week. I also picked up some snake plants to keep in the fish room to do some natural air filtering. There was also a 2hour power outage last night and I had to bust out the emergency kit air pumps. What a week. This morning I could not pass up the meme opportunity "no this is Patrick " lol
20210821_113059.jpg

20210819_214030.jpg
20210819_213046.jpg
20210819_180236.jpg
20210820_181604.jpg
20210820_215037.jpg
20210821_095951.jpg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex I have a small gap at a corner in my plywood/pond armor build. I had 3 coats of pond armor and some fiberglass applied at the time I noticed the gap. The gap is maybe toothpick wide, or close enough. I liberally injected some 100% silicone into the gap, it feels solid to the touch and looks good. Was going to do two more coats of pond armor and then a long leak test. Do you think this is an appropriate fix? If not I can dig the silicone out. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex I have a small gap at a corner in my plywood/pond armor build. I had 3 coats of pond armor and some fiberglass applied at the time I noticed the gap. The gap is maybe toothpick wide, or close enough. I liberally injected some 100% silicone into the gap, it feels solid to the touch and looks good. Was going to do two more coats of pond armor and then a long leak test. Do you think this is an appropriate fix? If not I can dig the silicone out. Any suggestions?
What corner has the leak? Top, Bottom? Do you have any pictures of how it looks before and after silicone?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corner has the leak? Top, Bottom? Do you have any pictures of how it looks before and after silicone?
Top, so minimal water pressure but would not want splashes to come in contact with wood and then -> disaster down the line. It is at the angled portion, of course
image.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top, so minimal water pressure but would not want splashes to come in contact with wood and then -> disaster down the line. It is at the angled portion, of course
image.jpg
Sorry for the late reply. Yes if that is at the top of the tank you should be fine. On my plywood tanks for my last build when I added the top frame I used RTV on the entire top join as both pieces were coated in pond armor I used screws and RTV to hold the top frame in place.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. Yes if that is at the top of the tank you should be fine. On my plywood tanks for my last build when I added the top frame I used RTV on the entire top join as both pieces were coated in pond armor I used screws and RTV to hold the top frame in place.
Nice I saw your pics and wondered about that. I think this weekend I’m getting the last coats on. And following your lead to order from glass cages. I sourced a number of quotes and they were both the cheapest and fastest to reply.

thanks again, I would not have had the guts to try this if it weren’t for your builds!!!

Back