OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you took off 1-1/2” in both directions so you’ll be using 3/4” glass? Have you looked into options such as tempering or using laminated glass?
Right now nothing is off the table for glass. 3/4" on its own should be plenty but I will also see if tempered or laminated is a more viable option.

Do you still have your puffers? I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years and just getting back in. I remember seeing you feed those big guys. I love the puffers. I have a small planted tank with Dwarf puffers. Someday I’ll have another tank with a big puffer in it. They have so much personality
Unfortunately I do not. I sold my dogface puffer before my move and lost my porcupine puffer during my move. I did get another porcupine puffer which is in my 150 gallon holding tank until the main display comes online.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

Happy to announce the first layer of the plywood aquarium bottom is installed. Only 9 more sheets of plywood to cut, route, and laminate for the 2nd layer of the aquarium bottom.

20220213_140951.jpg
20220213_145255.jpg
20220213_155636.jpg
20220213_171935.jpg
20220213_171945.jpg
20220213_173533.jpg

Attachments

• 20220213_171945.jpg
    20220213_171945.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 79

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like you’re gluing the t&g joint but you’re being careful not to glue the second layer of plywood to the first layer (you've got paper under each joint). What is your thinking on this? Why do you want it to “float” instead of laminating the two layers together?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like you’re gluing the t&g joint but you’re being careful not to glue the second layer of plywood to the first layer (you've got paper under each joint). What is your thinking on this? Why do you want it to “float” instead of laminating the two layers together?

Simple I want to be able to disassemble the stand in the event of a a teardown with minimal damage to the stand so it can be reused. I have a handful of fasteners on this first layer to make sure the plywood stays flat which should only cause minimal damage to the stand top plywood during a teardown. If the aquarium bottom was laminated to the stand top it would be nearly impossible to reuse the stand as I would be unable to access all the screws on the stand top. The two layers of the aquarium bottom plywood will be laminated together and will have fasteners around the entire perimeter locking the top seal beam into the aquarium bottom, stand top, and bottom seal beam.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple I want to be able to disassemble the stand in the event of a a teardown with minimal damage to the stand so it can be reused. I have a handful of fasteners on this first layer to make sure the plywood stays flat which should only cause minimal damage to the stand top plywood during a teardown. If the aquarium bottom was laminated to the stand top it would be nearly impossible to reuse the stand as I would be unable to access all the screws on the stand top. The two layers of the aquarium bottom plywood will be laminated together and will have fasteners around the entire perimeter locking the top seal beam into the aquarium bottom, stand top, and bottom seal beam.
Oh man, a tank that size; teardown wouldn’t even be on my radar. I’d consider it permanent.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, a tank that size; teardown wouldn’t even be on my radar. I’d consider it permanent.
Never say never. After tearing down my last 1600 gallon system I always want to keep my options open in case I have to move. I was able to recycle most of my previous build into my fish room which is why I was able to build it so quickly.

Considering the inevitable upgrade, I think it is a smart plan.
Not really an upgrade plan more of a just in case I have to move plan.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update concerning my High Zinc issues in the fish room system

I believe I may have found the sources of the high zinc in my aquarium system that is running. I cracked open all of the Rossmont mover wetside magnets and found all three remaining in my system were corroding. My Zinc levels were at 135 ug/L back in November 2021 and after 1500 gallons of water changes I did another ICP test just over a week ago and Zinc was still at 75ug/L which led me to believe that the source was still present. I had 4 Rossmont movers originally but one had a mount break so I took the pump out. I did not see any signs of the magnet casing being broken but there was an intentional air void in the casing holding the magnet. I should have trusted my gut months ago and broken the magnet case open to look for corrosion. Last night after spending all weekend cleaning the system and looking for possible sources of metal corrosion I said what the heck lets crack that magnet open to see whats inside. The magnet on the far right in the picture was out of the system for several months bot already had signs of corrosion. The white corrosion is likely zinc oxide as I was reading and found out some magnets are zinc coated. The three magnets on the left top and bottom were all taken out of the system last night. All have significant corrosion. One magnet case I did find a tiny hole where I could see the rust inside.

I have added a fresh bag of cupisorb to the system and might put some metasorb back in as well. I am in the middle of making water for another 500 gallon waterchange. I feel inanother week or so I am going to be ready to send out another ICP test and see where everything is at. I ordered more ICP test kits and some Triton Detox to have on hand. I have inspected the other magnets in the tank and did not see any issues but time, water changes, and ICP tests will tell me if I can finally put this zinc saga to rest.

If you have any Rossmont mover pumps that have been running a few years it might be wise to check or just replace the magnets as it seems they did not stand the test of time with 4 seeming to fail all around the same time. Considering that Rossmont is no longer making these pumps there will be no point in looking to replace the magnets.

20220301_220157.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

I have completed the install of the bottom of the aquarium. I have glued together the largest piece of wood in my life to date. The entire bottom of the aquarium is 2 x 3.4" sheets of birch plywood that have been tongue and grove jointed and laminated together to create a single piece of wood that is 1.5" thick and over 250 sqft in size. The aquarium bottom is also on the stand top which is an additional 3/4" of plywood so there is 2.25" of plywood on top of the stand structure for support. The video goes into some details on how and why I did it this way along with some more detailed installation steps I took.

On another note it has been a week since my zinc contamination removal efforts have been underway. Between absorbers and a 500gallon water change I sent in an ICP test today to see where the zinc levels are at. Hopefully I have made a positive dent in the zinc levels and that the corroding magnets were actual source. Based on the results of the ICP test I will determine my next steps.

20220222_153045.jpg
20220305_111543.jpg
20220310_203329.jpg
20220310_203335.jpg
20220314_093020.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

Lots going on with the system and the build. I got my ICP test back and zinc is down to 40 ug/L which is a great reduction. I am still not at an acceptable range but its a great start. I have decided that round two I am going to skip the water change and complete a second round of detox at a full strength dose then double down on metal absorbers and carbon after that treatment is completed. Then after a week or two send out another ICP test. I really hope this battle with zinc is nearing and end and that those old magnets were the source.

On a side note I decided to give the spearing mantis shrimp a live treat so I turned some mollies from freshwater to saltwater and tossed them in the 700 gallon refugium. In less than 5 minutes the mantis got its meal. It always great to see a mantis exercise its skills.

The 15lbs of Australian live rock I purchased from @uniquecorals is doing great in the 25 gallon lagoon tank. This live rock will remain isolated for now so I can see what life emerges without adding anything in from the main system. I think this will be a fun little experiment. I am blasting the live rock with a freshwater Radion G4 light and the algae is in full bloom. I am sure some people would say that algae does not look good but I am starting to see the first signs of macro algae starting to emerge. Not to mention the copepods are out in force to the point where they are starting to free swim in the water column. I have been on the lookout for bioluminescent activity but have not spotted any yet in the few short sessions I have observed however I will keep observing. I am hoping to see some ostracods in my surveys of life of these rocks. I will keep everyone posted.

On the 4200 gallon display build I completed a pond shield test on some oak I will be using for the bottom seal beam to ensure it has good adhesion and I am happy to say it passed the test. I have also spent the last couple days assembling and setting up a dove tail jig that I am going to used for joints on the seal beam and on the top tank brace. I am just a few test dovetail joints away from being ready to start on building the seal beam.

Screenshot_20220320-084810_Chrome.jpg

20220319_150054.jpg

20220321_211350.jpg

20220318_185228.jpg
20220312_123943.jpg

20220314_135333.jpg
20220321_213933.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round 2 of metal removal is in progress now starting with a Triton Detox treatment 200ml which turned the system into a lovely shade of yellow/brown. I turned the skimmer down to just use a single pump for the next 3 days while the detox does its work. I also shutdown my UV sterilizer for the 3 day period as well.

On Friday evening I will be adding poly-filters, metasorbs, and carbon into the system. After a week or two I will send out another ICP test.

20220322_185458.jpg
20220322_191451.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

The build is still moving along well. I am building the seal beam to hold the bottom glass in place. It has been a lot of router work on the dovetail jig to get everything properly fit then doing final runs to get the inner oak beam perimeter. I only have 3 final pieces of oak to dovetail which will be cut to ensure the sides of the beam perimeter are all the proper length. The outside the beam will be 3 x 3/4" strips of plywood laminated together which will be anchored into the aquarium bottom and stand with 6" screws.

On a side note I will be sending out another ICP test this weekend to see the progress on zinc removal.

20220326_161407.jpg
20220326_160656.jpg
20220330_155924.jpg
20220330_155919.jpg

Attachments

• 20220329_123453.jpg
    20220329_123453.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220324_203145.jpg
    20220324_203145.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how the dog is like "Whatever daddy, can you keep the noise down please?!" ;)
Funny enough my little helper there is 15 and does not hear well so even with the power tools running he just sleeps right through it. Its when I am not making noise that he gets up and starts looking for me.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what your results with detox are. Epic build!

Funny you mention that. My results from the second round of detox and metal removers was Zinc increased from 40ug/L to 43ug/L which was not the desired effect.

This leaves some hard questions. We're those magnets the source of the zinc? Do I have a source water zinc issue? Are the metal removers ineffective or is the source of Zinc still present?

Plan:
  1. I have started another 500gallon water change as that did cut Zinc levels nearly in half. This might change into a 1000 gallon water change depending on the results of the next part of the plan
  2. I have sent out two ICP tests today to determine if this is a source water Zinc issue.
    1. One ICP test is RO water straight from the unit after it was running for over 10minutes.
    2. The second ICP test is from my 25gallon lagoon tank which is isolated from the main system but uses the same RO water for top off.
  3. If the source water ICP and 25 gallon lagoon tank are free of zinc then there are only two possibilities
    1. The second round of metal removers were ineffective at removing zinc and there for the levels only slightly changed and water changes will be needed. I will also use the poly filters I have without a detox treatment this time around
    2. The source of the zinc is still present and further steps are needed to try and find a source.

If the RO water contains zinc at low levels then it can explain why a water change lowers the zinc levels as it will be in a minor concentration. As top off water is added for evaporation it would cause the zinc levels to slowly rise.

Other potential sources of zinc:
  • Travertine tiles on the bottom of the two pond liner tanks
  • Another pump magnet or equipment
  • While I find it hard to believe the threaded rod cross braces could be a root cause as they are encased in PVC its still a possibility since they are galvanized and have zinc on them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back