AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have completed the second light rack and I have completed installing outlets in my fish room 28 in total. I also made a diy video for my light rack.

20170325_202058.jpg
20170325_202000.jpg
82c250727fcc202bd3e81e8995acc2e7.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have roughed in all of my main plumbing. I still have to make return and drain for my 150 gallon refuge tank but I am going to wait until I have a return pump on hand to get the plumbing completed. In the video below I go into a lot of detail on the plumbing and the reasons for my design choices. I am now ready to attach the plastic to the ceiling for a moisture barrier. I am going to use the remaining pond shield epoxy I have left to give the tanks an extra coating because I don't want to waste this great product. The aquascape for the 480 gallon tank is progressing but I will make that reveal after the 480 gallon tank has been filled.

Cleaner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building a 420 plywood tank and I'm thinking of using Pond Armor as well. How much did you end up using for the smaller of the two tanks or did the 1.5 gallons do both?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building a 420 plywood tank and I'm thinking of using Pond Armor as well. How much did you end up using for the smaller of the two tanks or did the 1.5 gallons do both?

I started with the 1.5-gallon kit but I purchased a few more 1.5-quart kits as well. On my 480-Gallon tank a 1.5-quart kit would provide two coats on the inside of the tank. I laid down a total of 5 coats on the 480-gallon tank. The first coat was over the entire tank. Coat 2 was only for putting fiberglass on the seems. Coats 3-4 were the final coats applied to finish the tanks but I had an extra 1.5 kit so I applied a 5th coat to most of the 480-gallon tank excluding the area around the glass and top bracing. I also applied some extra pond shield around the tank to touch up areas I felt needed an extra application which included the surface where the glass was going to be attached to the tank. The top bracing of my tanks also received 3 coats of pond shield. I would consider 1.5 gallon kit but if you think its too much I would purchase a couple of 1.5-quart kits to start. My video this week is going to cover the process of applying pond shield to my tanks for the last time.

Cleaner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the 1.5-gallon kit but I purchased a few more 1.5-quart kits as well. On my 480-Gallon tank a 1.5-quart kit would provide two coats on the inside of the tank. I laid down a total of 5 coats on the 480-gallon tank. The first coat was over the entire tank. Coat 2 was only for putting fiberglass on the seems. Coats 3-4 were the final coats applied to finish the tanks but I had an extra 1.5 kit so I applied a 5th coat to most of the 480-gallon tank excluding the area around the glass and top bracing. I also applied some extra pond shield around the tank to touch up areas I felt needed an extra application which included the surface where the glass was going to be attached to the tank. The top bracing of my tanks also received 3 coats of pond shield. I would consider 1.5 gallon kit but if you think its too much I would purchase a couple of 1.5-quart kits to start. My video this week is going to cover the process of applying pond shield to my tanks for the last time.

Great Thanks! Cheapest I can find is from Home Depot and the 1.5 qt kits end up being cheaper than buying a 1.5 gallon kit. Where did you get yours from?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Thanks! Cheapest I can find is from Home Depot and the 1.5 qt kits end up being cheaper than buying a 1.5 gallon kit. Where did you get yours from?

I bought direct the first time and then through Amazon. I did see that Home Depot has the lowest price now I was paying ~$70 with free shipping through amazon.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest update is that I have completed most of the initial plastic moisture barrier installation. I also have completed the last coat of pond shield on both tanks which is discussed in the video below. I am getting closer every day and I cant wait to get some water into these tanks.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Close

ruairidh_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a stupid question but for the tank that won't have sand in it, is there a risk of the rockwork scraping away some of the pond sheild or is there enough on it not to cause a problem?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a stupid question but for the tank that won't have sand in it, is there a risk of the rockwork scraping away some of the pond sheild or is there enough on it not to cause a problem?
That is not a stupid question at all. I did think that this could be an issue in the bare bottom tank which is why the bottom of the tank is lined with 1/2" pvc sheeting. I am resting the rock in the 480 directly on the bottom but since I can easily each the bottom on that tank I am not worried about scratching the tank bottom if I have to move any rocks. Plus it has a rather thick coating on the bottom which provides better protection from scratching.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coming along nicely!

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious since you have a decent amount of space in the filter room. Have you considered using an algae turf scrubber as part of the filtration? Can't wait to see the system up and running.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious since you have a decent amount of space in the filter room. Have you considered using an algae turf scrubber as part of the filtration? Can't wait to see the system up and running.

The 150 gallon tank in the filter room will act as a giant macro algae refuge tank so I should get a similar effect to an algae scrubber.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on your diy skimmer?

Not yet. I got the body of the skimmer completed a while ago but I then shifted my focus on getting the rest of the system completed. I should be circling back soon to the skimmer. I have some parts that I can quickly complete and some others that will require testing. Once I get more done on the skimmer there will be an update video created.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back