AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Giving pukani rock an acid bath is a lot of work.
b8c9cf086af8f0268cd40854a932b093.jpg
Yes. Yes, it is.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not wait any longer to reveal another DIY project on my 1600 gallon system. I have been looking at alternative means of heating the aquarium as electric heaters are expensive to run and the devastation they can cause when they fail is a risk I want to avoid. I did not create this design and the credit goes to vldesign.com but I wanted create a more comprehensive test for this radiant heating system that utilizes the hot water tank for my home. I will be creating a series of videos on the radiant heating system and its implementation on my 1600 gallon system. Here is a link to the PDF that I used to build this radiant heating system Http://www.vldesign.com/DIY_2700_Gallon_Aquarium.pdf

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy all your updates! That link to the PDF file, I recall seeing that tank build somewhere before. Wonder how it looked when the person finished it. I like the idea for the heater system for sure!!

Thanks
When I was researching the building of my plywood tank I came across the 2700 gallon build and thought that is a little too big. I want to say there is a video out there somewhere a person taking a swim in it before fish were added. When I found the radiant heating system idea in the PDF I linked I had to give it a shot. It is just a matter of testing the system out and ensuring that it works as it is intended. I have to fill my sump tanks up to test the seals on the pump and the interconnects between the sumps. I will use that opportunity to test out the radiant heating system to see how quickly it can bring the sump up to the proper temperature.

Chain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when are you coming to my place to build a version of your setup?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you trying the heat exchanger central heating method to heat your tank, this is quite common in England to heat Koi ponds, simply by adding a controllable y- Valve into your existing radiator heating system and boiler controls and then piping this through a stainless steel heat exchanger. Works a treat.. this is the type we use not sure exactly how it would stand up to salt water though.
http://www.richdon-koi.com/shop/?prodid=266
The trick is to set the controller to turn both the y- valve and boiler on and off as needed and still allow your house thermostat to control the house heating. Saying that your diy system should work a treat, very similar to the DIY AC pipework a lot of reefers use in the Far East..
Loving your whole tank build, never seen anything like it before..

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you trying the heat exchanger central heating method to heat your tank, this is quite common in England to heat Koi ponds, simply by adding a controllable y- Valve into your existing radiator heating system and boiler controls and then piping this through a stainless steel heat exchanger. Works a treat.. this is the type we use not sure exactly how it would stand up to salt water though.
http://www.richdon-koi.com/shop/?prodid=266
The trick is to set the controller to turn both the y- valve and boiler on and off as needed and still allow your house thermostat to control the house heating. Saying that your diy system should work a treat, very similar to the DIY AC pipework a lot of reefers use in the Far East..
Loving your whole tank build, never seen anything like it before..

That is an interesting setup using an existing radiator heating system in the home for Koi pond heating. I am glad to see success using similar methods for heating larger volumes of water such as a Koi pond. I think the challenge of this being saltwater is what made the method I am using practical. The use of plastic PEX plumbing removes the need to have metals in contact with the water. Thanks for following the build I know I tossed the traditional idea of an aquarium out the window with this build. The only way to meet my needs was to create a custom system which has been a fun journey and now that I am getting close to the finish line I decided to start filming the process.

ruairidh_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take a photo of the coral tank every day when you start stocking it and make timelapses for each landmark [emoji3]

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take a photo of the coral tank every day when you start stocking it and make timelapses for each landmark [emoji3]
I really like that idea and I have been thinking about a way to show tank progress over time. I just need to be dedicated to taking the pictures. I will try to make this a reality as I really would like to see the evolution of the tanks from the time they are filled to having mature corals.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought many times about a plywood tank in my garage...but Texas summers can get really hot so insulating the garage and cooling the water would be a big deal. Very nice job.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a long day but I completed my RO water station stand. I just have to get the RO system plumbed in and the RO system refurbished and I will be ready to make some water for filling.
fc677b702fdfba3daac04f69f217fc54.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not one who usually follows a thread, but I just read yours from beginning to end. All I can say is awesome...
Love the plywood tank idea, and have thought about it briefly before. I am planning a 12' tank to replace my 240, and an now thinking if a plywood tank might fit the bill and save me some $$. The tank quotes I have so far exceed $10K . I think it might be a lot more fun to spend most of that on inhabitants rather than a 5 sided glass box...

Keep up the great work!!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend I started working on my RO/DI water station and I successfully filled my two sump tanks that are interconnected without any leaks. The reeflo hammerhead seal replacement can also be called a success now as the the pump seal is holding and the pump is operating smoothly. I also released a video that overviews my humidity control measures that will be in place when the system is started. I will try and get some pictures of the RO/DI system up later today since I should have most of the plumbing finished this evening.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back