AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally achieved one of my goals in building this system. The 480 Gallon Display is now filled with water. I have such a great sense of pride in this achievement. I also revealed the aquascape. What does everyone think about the aquascape?

Love it! Epic build... been following this and hats off to you... massive undertaking and has been a huge privilege to be able to see this grow stage by stage. Very, very jealous!!

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really looks fantastic!! I so wish we had basements in Oklahoma so I could build something like that.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress today. I am testing my DIY needle wheel impeller with the skimmer bubble chamber. It's only in freshwater so fine bubbles are not being created but it seems to be working well. It's also deeper than it will normally sit so less air is being drawn in.
d7ef795019af74046c993b80bdf17ded.jpg
05a6a6595906e75432d0806162cb9cf8.jpg

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really awesome build! I've been tinkering with the idea of doing a plywood tank for awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates. Thanks for sharing this, it's really something else.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day has finally arrived. After nearly two years of construction I can finally say that the 720 gallon display is aquascaped and has water in the tank. All tanks of the system have been completely filled with water now for over a week without any issues or leaks bringing my total system water volume up to 1600 gallons. I posted a video similar to the 480 gallon display reveal. I hope everyone enjoys it. What does everyone think of the aquascape?

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really looks fantastic Alex. Did you add salt to the water yet?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really looks fantastic Alex. Did you add salt to the water yet?
Thanks. I have not added salt yet. I want to let everything run for a few weeks to make sure there are not any issues that require a large amount of water to be drained. It would be quite literally money down the drain if I have to pump fresh saltwater down the drain as i only have 200 gallons of water storage.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. Then the water will clear up once that is added. Perfect!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. Then the water will clear up once that is added. Perfect!
That is the plan as there is no mechanical filtration on the tank right now. Once I get salt in the tank and the skimmer running it should take care of the cloudiness. I will also have some optional filter socks ready to use when salt is added.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the plan as there is no mechanical filtration on the tank right now. Once I get salt in the tank and the skimmer running it should take care of the cloudiness. I will also have some optional filter socks ready to use when salt is added.

I am so excited to see fish in here!! Your patience is amazing.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day has finally arrived. After nearly two years of construction I can finally say that the 720 gallon display is aquascaped and has water in the tank. All tanks of the system have been completely filled with water now for over a week without any issues or leaks bringing my total system water volume up to 1600 gallons. I posted a video similar to the 480 gallon display reveal. I hope everyone enjoys it. What does everyone think of the aquascape?

Congrats man! Im not gonna lie Ive seen a lot of people attempt plywood tanks to only give up due to failure mainly from improper planning. You sir have done your research and then some. Amazing attention to detail, not skipping out on steps, and then following through after nearly 2 years. This is just awesome to see and I can't wait to see how this system matures!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back