AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incredible. Your determination and engineering prowess show through. I really enjoyed the aquascaping as well. It inspires me to make some cha he's to my system ...

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everyone following along. I found a slight deflection or bowing in the 720 gallon tank last night on the side panels and the back panel. It is towards the center of these panels which is going to be the weakest point on the structure. The corners and glass are showing no signs of bowing or deflection which is good. Out of caution I have drained the 720 gallon tank until I add some additional supports to the sides and back to eliminate the deflection. This is exactly why I filled with freshwater to complete testing on the tanks. I will probably make a quick video about what is going on tonight. I did double check the 480 gallon tank for deflection out of caution and did not find any. As the 720 gallon tank is 36" tall I knew there would be a greater chance of there being issues with deflection. Now I just need to come up with a solution to this issue. I am thinking that angled steel bracing vertically attached might solve the issue.

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you found that before it became an issue!

What are you planning for a quarantine setup for new fish? It may have been discussed already and I can look to where it's at if it was.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing you found that before it became an issue!

What are you planning for a quarantine setup for new fish? It may have been discussed already and I can look to where it's at if it was.

I have a 40 breeder that I am planning to use for quarantine. I will have it in another location in the basement that is separate from the fish room. I am just going to place some filter sponges in the sump of the main system to keep a biological filter on hand so when new arrivals come in I can just put that sponge into the quarantine tank. Of course that filter sponge can never go back into the main system again but it can remain in use until for a few rounds of quarantine. In the quarantine tank I am just going to place some PVC parts to provide hiding places for the fish so they don't get stressed. If needed I will expand the quarantine setup to have a couple of tanks. The very first fish into the system might not go through a quarantine process but I have not made a final decision on that yet. I have a plan to re-enforce the 720 gallon tank now I just need to implement that plan which will take some time as I will be building a 2x4 frame around three sides of the tank that will will go from the floor to the top of the tank. Once that is completed another test fill will be attempted.

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder that I am planning to use for quarantine. I will have it in another location in the basement that is separate from the fish room. I am just going to place some filter sponges in the sump of the main system to keep a biological filter on hand so when new arrivals come in I can just put that sponge into the quarantine tank. Of course that filter sponge can never go back into the main system again but it can remain in use until for a few rounds of quarantine. In the quarantine tank I am just going to place some PVC parts to provide hiding places for the fish so they don't get stressed. If needed I will expand the quarantine setup to have a couple of tanks. The very first fish into the system might not go through a quarantine process but I have not made a final decision on that yet. I have a plan to re-enforce the 720 gallon tank now I just need to implement that plan which will take some time as I will be building a 2x4 frame around three sides of the tank that will will go from the floor to the top of the tank. Once that is completed another test fill will be attempted.
I ended up getting 4 20g tanks and made a rack in my garage for them. Good thing too, as just like my first order from liveaquaria.com my 2nd order of some FW fish had Ich. So annoying! But I'm also doing like 200 small Tetras in my FW setup.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting 4 20g tanks and made a rack in my garage for them. Good thing too, as just like my first order from liveaquaria.com my 2nd order of some FW fish had Ich. So annoying! But I'm also doing like 200 small Tetras in my FW setup.

I might visit petco for the $1 per gallon sale a few more times to pickup some additional tanks for quarantine over time. I might be a good idea to have a few quarantine tanks on hand. First I need to get the 720 gallon bracing issue fixed :)

chayos00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might visit petco for the $1 per gallon sale a few more times to pickup some additional tanks for quarantine over time. I might be a good idea to have a few quarantine tanks on hand. First I need to get the 720 gallon bracing issue fixed :)
That's exactly where I got my 4 20g tanks. Makes for good QT or breeder tanks if that shall happen.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have picked up the lumber for the 720 gallon tank reinforcement. I will get started on the construction tonight.
5539d8738ac3b9e06acda20b9f3c26df.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am happy to say the bracing walls of the 720 gallon tank have been roughed. I just need to add some plywood strips behind the braces on the tank for extra support. Then I must face my arch nemesis once again PAINTING. After painting is completed I can go ahead with final assemble and the. Test fill the 720 gallon tank again.
cad7ee7ec20319636421b2f6ef18cf71.jpg
c720edabbe239d3d9daca7a461eb1067.jpg

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get yourself a paint sprayer. It makes the painting part a breeze. The hardest part is cleaning the machine.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get yourself a paint sprayer. It makes the painting part a breeze. The hardest part is cleaning the machine.
If I was to start all over again I would go that route but with only a few more parts to paint it will not help much now. Plus I have to paint in the basement as the long brace wall will not fit upstairs.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am happy to say the bracing walls of the 720 gallon tank have been roughed. I just need to add some plywood strips behind the braces on the tank for extra support. Then I must face my arch nemesis once again PAINTING. After painting is completed I can go ahead with final assemble and the. Test fill the 720 gallon tank again.
cad7ee7ec20319636421b2f6ef18cf71.jpg
c720edabbe239d3d9daca7a461eb1067.jpg

Dang that's a load of water to drain!
How are you attaching the bracing to the tank? The pictures make it look like you just built walls around it? I assume there is more the pictures aren't showing?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that's a load of water to drain!
How are you attaching the bracing to the tank? The pictures make it look like you just built walls around it? I assume there is more the pictures aren't showing?
The walls will be attached to the tank and the stand using lots of L brackets. I have 50 L brackets on hand which should be a good start but I am figuring it will be 100+ brackets to properly secure the walls to the tank and stand. I am going to paint first and then I will start to secure the walls to the tank and stand.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man the dream is coming to life more and more everyday! Congrats!

Earl Coleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using 2 or 3 layers of birch glued and screwed together give you the strength you need to reduce the bowing?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using 2 or 3 layers of birch glued and screwed together give you the strength you need to reduce the bowing?
Presently there are 2 layers of birch plywood on the tank corners and the side panel bracing that is in place. I was initially going to add another layer of hardwood on top for bracing but after consulting someone with more experience with this construction style of tank it was recommended that on edge 2x4s would be the best solution as additional layers of wood on top of the existing structure will not resolve the issue unless they were on edge braces.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back