AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1600 gallon system full of water again. The 480 gallon tank now has 440lbs of sand added. I just need to test the 720 gallon tank with a soak period for a couple of weeks before certifying that it's bowing issue is resolved. I will be releasing an update video on Sunday. If anyone has questions on the system please feel free to ask.
3b2bb039fac815e2402c7ae703239450.jpg
fc53093d832f1d7bc6808c68cbca8708.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another system update. The sand is still looking great in the 480 gallon tank and the 720 brace testing is still in progress.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer!

Has your stocking wish list changed over the years?

In some ways yes and others no. I more or less designed the system to keep the fish I wanted but never had a big enough tank for. The 720 Gallon will house large wrasses, puffers, triggers, angels, tangs, maybe some butterflies. The 480 Gallon will focus on reef safe fish. I try to keep my fish stocking list flexible but I have not written anything down yet for a total list or stocking order. Its going to take a while to stock these tanks and I am not in a hurry. The best part about this system is that do have some flexibility to move fish from one display to another if needed.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, your patience is admirable.
Been very impressed with that since beginning following.

We have had several shelter dogs over the years.

Was curious if you I would just start with all new small fish and enjoy watching them grow or if you were considering taking on any vlamingi tangs, etc. that other people never should have bought in the first place. lol

Bet you could stock it for free with showcase fish.

Wondering if territory battles would be a nightmare with adding a lot of mature fish from the beginning.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more focused on adding juvenile fish rather than adults. I like to watch fish grow and mature. I will say though if the right rescue opportunity came along I might be willing to accept some larger fish.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update this week. I have added tops onto the 265 gallon sump for humidity control and I built a filter sock tray. I have also kicked the heating system on that utilizes my hot water tank. I will be testing the heating system along with monitoring humidity levels so I can establish a trend with the tank up to temperature.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the covers, my guess is you will hate the filter socks unless you change them daily, that will be a lot of "dirty" water trying to get through a really constricted area, just a thought.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the covers, my guess is you will hate the filter socks unless you change them daily, that will be a lot of "dirty" water trying to get through a really constricted area, just a thought.
I don't plan to use the filter socks all the time. I have never been a big fan of filter socks but I wanted to keep my options open so I can add some mechanical filtration as needed or if I have low nitrates I can keep one in as a small nitrate factory since it will act as a natural nitrate doser.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weeks update is on the radiant heating system that I installed on the 1600 gallon system. I am happy to report that the heating system is working as expected. I was able to heat 1600 gallons of water from 70 to 77 degrees in less than 24 hours. The heater kicks on once or twice a day for a couple of hours maintaining the system at 77 degrees.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex g this is justin g
At the end of the video u said and I'm paraphrasing u think it would be a good idea to run on any tank.
So with a 100 gallons of water do u think it's still worth it?
I went to the vldesign.com and nothing poped up for the diagram how it works.
So from what I can tell is you t ed of a hot water line ran it to a boost pump that the temp controller would turn on and off if it's the right temp or not. And then returns back to the hot water heater. Is that about the basic layout?
So when the temp controller shuts off the boost pump the water that is in the line would then cool down and stop heating the sump is my guess?

Thanks I really enjoy this build

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex g this is justin g
At the end of the video u said and I'm paraphrasing u think it would be a good idea to run on any tank.
So with a 100 gallons of water do u think it's still worth it?
I went to the vldesign.com and nothing poped up for the diagram how it works.
So from what I can tell is you t ed of a hot water line ran it to a boost pump that the temp controller would turn on and off if it's the right temp or not. And then returns back to the hot water heater. Is that about the basic layout?
So when the temp controller shuts off the boost pump the water that is in the line would then cool down and stop heating the sump is my guess?

Thanks I really enjoy this build

Yes you have the concept correct. I think asking if its worth it depends on your experience and trust of traditional electric heaters. I have not had electric heaters fail on me before but I have seen a lot of heater failures result in lots of aquarium life being lost. I just don't want to take a risk on my system using electric heaters plus it should be much cheaper to operate this heating system versus electric heating due to my system volume. The system is not without points of failure but I also am planning to use an apex as a secondary controller that will shut off the pump if the temp gets too high.

Here are the links I have in the video description that talk more about this system design.

Updated Radiant Heater design: http://www.vldesign.com/DIY_2700_Gallon_Aquarium.pdf
Original Radiant Heater design: Don't use a cast Iron circulation pump: http://www.vldesign.com/DIY_1500Gallon_Aquarium.pdf
Forum discussion about this radiant heating system on Monsterfishkeepers: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/diy-radiant-heater-for-my-1500-gallon-tank.331356/

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small update. It has been over two weeks and there have been no signs of bowing on the 720 gallon tank after the bracing was added. I am declaring the 720 gallon tank good and I am going to keep moving the system forward. I am almost ready for salt.

Back