AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I understand ur logic on drinking rodi waste water but usually what do we use heated water for most? Showers and washing hands or clothes. So to me I would think if you created a storage container that was inline before the water coming in the hot water heater it would use up the waste rodi first then onto the supply water from the house. U said u think the container would need to be sealed why? If it is gravity fed why would u need it to be able to be pressurized? The tank heater water would return at the top along with the rodi waste water then gravity would do its thing until the container is full then when empty I would think the supply water from the house would take over if this was the case.

Not trying to argue trying to understand as I don't get why it would need to be sealed. Unless it shouldn't be ran dry with air at all and with the container running empty the supply would add some air to the system

I think this is a great discussion. While I mainly use hot water for showers and washing clothes but I also use a lot of hot water when cooking and washing dishes. Since heated waste water would have potential contact with my food I would rather not use RODI waste water for this purpose.

The sealed water container depends on its location and method of introducing RODI waste water into the system. The diagram below I made up to show my radiant heating loop setup. The loop is part of the hot water system in the house which has a ~40PSI line pressure. The loop of hot water has equalized pressure with the hot water tank so when the pump is activated to heat the tank it is recirculating water without creating a difference in the water system line pressure. The bronze re-circulation pump I am using and similar pumps cannot run dry. If you were going to have an inline storage tank for RODI waste water where in the loop would it be or would you have it on the cold water supply side?

One issue with inserting water back into the water system of the house is the line pressure of the water system. In order to put water back into they system from another source its pressure would need to be higher or equalized to the line pressure to allow water flow which is why a sealed tank would be needed unless a specialized pump and valve system was added to slowly feed water from an unsealed tank into the water supply line/loop. I am interested to hear how you would set this up as it is a really interesting discussion.
radiant heating system.png

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great discussion. While I mainly use hot water for showers and washing clothes but I also use a lot of hot water when cooking and washing dishes. Since heated waste water would have potential contact with my food I would rather not use RODI waste water for this purpose.

The sealed water container depends on its location and method of introducing RODI waste water into the system. The diagram below I made up to show my radiant heating loop setup. The loop is part of the hot water system in the house which has a ~40PSI line pressure. The loop of hot water has equalized pressure with the hot water tank so when the pump is activated to heat the tank it is recirculating water without creating a difference in the water system line pressure. The bronze re-circulation pump I am using and similar pumps cannot run dry. If you were going to have an inline storage tank for RODI waste water where in the loop would it be or would you have it on the cold water supply side?

One issue with inserting water back into the water system of the house is the line pressure of the water system. In order to put water back into they system from another source its pressure would need to be higher or equalized to the line pressure to allow water flow which is why a sealed tank would be needed unless a specialized pump and valve system was added to slowly feed water from an unsealed tank into the water supply line/loop. I am interested to hear how you would set this up as it is a really interesting discussion.
radiant heating system.png
Ok u have to give me a bit to draw what I was thinking but in words I was going to have it loop and connect on the cold water supply line on the hot water heater. Would use a check valve so the water wouldn't shoot up in to my container. This way would be less efficient as your way as you wouldn't have to possibly heat the same water twice.

I'm trying how to figure out how to use my waste rodi water and heat my tank. I did not think about the dishwasher that's a good point there. Would the heat from the hot water heater "kill" any of the nasties the rodi waste gets? Or is the heat not that hot enough?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot now I understand why the sealed container is important as the water would just sit in the container because it isn't at the same pressure as the water going into the hot water heater.

And water is lazy

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok u have to give me a bit to draw what I was thinking but in words I was going to have it loop and connect on the cold water supply line on the hot water heater. Would use a check valve so the water wouldn't shoot up in to my container. This way would be less efficient as your way as you wouldn't have to possibly heat the same water twice.

I'm trying how to figure out how to use my waste rodi water and heat my tank. I did not think about the dishwasher that's a good point there. Would the heat from the hot water heater "kill" any of the nasties the rodi waste gets? Or is the heat not that hot enough?

The hot water heater will not always kill bacteria. Every bacteria is different and will die at different temperatures and exposures to high temperatures. I am not very knowledgeable in the temperatures that kill bacteria but I am sure someone on the forum might have that knowledge. It seems the most common use for RODI waste water is for watering plants or a garden.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hot water heater will not always kill bacteria. Every bacteria is different and will die at different temperatures and exposures to high temperatures. I am not very knowledgeable in the temperatures that kill bacteria but I am sure someone on the forum might have that knowledge. It seems the most common use for RODI waste water is for watering plants or a garden.
Well we could have just uncovered a new use if this works out

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock is looking great and my algae bloom seems to has subsided after it was added. Several species of macro algae are also emerging. I also have an update on my humidity control measures which needed to be modified by adding a dehumidifier which has stabilized the humidity in the basement and the fish room.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system is doing well this week and I did a little experiment with impellers to compare a stock impeller in my protein skimmer vs a DIY needle wheel impeller that I built. This is the first video in a series that I will create to show everyone how I made my DIY needle wheel impeller.

I want to know for next weeks video should I present a general system update or a focus video on my mantis shrimp?

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know for next weeks video should I present a general system update or a focus video on my mantis shrimp?

Yes, we DO want to see you adding a ton of corals and fish in next weeks video! Great idea!! ;)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock is looking great and my algae bloom seems to has subsided after it was added. Several species of macro algae are also emerging. I also have an update on my humidity control measures which needed to be modified by adding a dehumidifier which has stabilized the humidity in the basement and the fish room.

Hey Alex,

I watched the video and had a question about the decision not to go with a HRV? I think you based it on the climate.

I'm considering a DIY PVC or cloroplast HRV but then again my basement is already at 60-65% RH without a tank!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex,

I watched the video and had a question about the decision not to go with a HRV? I think you based it on the climate.

I'm considering a DIY PVC or cloroplast HRV but then again my basement is already at 60-65% RH without a tank!

In part yes I based it on our climate. There is a lot of debate on this topic when you start reading different articles. In many cases I have read that the use of an HRV or ERV are primarily for providing an air exchange to bring fresh air into the home with de-humidification being a secondary effect in the proper conditions. In the winter it can easily provide de-humidification as the outside air being drawn in will likely have a lower humidity level. In the summer months though the HRV or ERV might not help much with humidity and might actually increase it if the humidity levels outside become higher than inside. In the summer months it seemed that the idea was that the air conditioning or a whole house dehumidifier would provide the de-humidification rather than an HRV or ERV. I also felt the cost was fairly high compared to a good dehumidifier. Once I gave the one I had a good cleaning and it brought my main basement area down to ~43% humidity I scrapped the idea of buying a new dehumidifier. The dehumidifier I have is a 40 pint(5 Gallon)/day unit which seems to be doing a good job so far. If I was going to buy a new dehumidifier I was looking at this model (Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 70-Pint Dehumidifier).

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we DO want to see you adding a ton of corals and fish in next weeks video! Great idea!! ;)
Well it would not be a ton of stuff. No corals yet as I still need to get my lighting for the reef tank. While the light I have on there will support corals I don't want to start buying corals before I have the proper lighting on the system. I do have some new fish in the system though.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In part yes I based it on our climate. There is a lot of debate on this topic when you start reading different articles. In many cases I have read that the use of an HRV or ERV are primarily for providing an air exchange to bring fresh air into the home with de-humidification being a secondary effect in the proper conditions. In the winter it can easily provide de-humidification as the outside air being drawn in will likely have a lower humidity level. In the summer months though the HRV or ERV might not help much with humidity and might actually increase it if the humidity levels outside become higher than inside. In the summer months it seemed that the idea was that the air conditioning or a whole house dehumidifier would provide the de-humidification rather than an HRV or ERV. I also felt the cost was fairly high compared to a good dehumidifier. Once I gave the one I had a good cleaning and it brought my main basement area down to ~43% humidity I scrapped the idea of buying a new dehumidifier. The dehumidifier I have is a 40 pint(5 Gallon)/day unit which seems to be doing a good job so far. If I was going to buy a new dehumidifier I was looking at this model (Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 70-Pint Dehumidifier).
Makes sense.

Im going to try and build one primarily for fresh air exchange and secondarily for humidity. Essentially, acting as a fan but replacing the air it takes due to being so close to the furnace and water heater, I'd hate to pull in carbon monoxide by pulling too much air out without replacing.

During the summer months I'll likely run a dehumidifier. I just don't want to pay the electrical for running one year round.

Thanks for the food for thought though!

Out of curiosity, what temp does your fish room get to? What do you run the tank at?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense.

Im going to try and build one primarily for fresh air exchange and secondarily for humidity. Essentially, acting as a fan but replacing the air it takes due to being so close to the furnace and water heater, I'd hate to pull in carbon monoxide by pulling too much air out without replacing.

During the summer months I'll likely run a dehumidifier. I just don't want to pay the electrical for running one year round.

Thanks for the food for thought though!

Out of curiosity, what temp does your fish room get to? What do you run the tank at?

I have the tank set for 77F. Before I started heating the aquarium the basement was holding in the 60s. The fish room normally holds around 75F now but I still dont have all of the equipment running yet mainly the reef lighting as that will kick out some additional heat but I believe the ventilation will likely mitigate that heat. The open basement went from the 68F to 72F once the dehumidifier started running 24x7. I have not observed the tank go above 77F but I still dont have an apex so I can only state that is the case when I am home to make observations.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update everyone on the current status of the system. I have added some live stock over the last few weeks to slowly start adding bio-load to the system. I have a listed my current list of fish below. So far everything is doing well. The water parameters are all testing good at this time. Ammonia 0, Nirate 0, Phosphate 0, pH 8.1, Calcium 500+, Alkalinity 8.6. I am going to continue to slowly add fish to the system to steadily increase the bio-load. I have not added corals yet and I am not planning to add corals until I get my reef lighting added to the 480 gallon aquarium.

720 Gallon Display
3 x Orange Tail Damsels - Chrysiptera cyanea
Clown Trigger - Balistoides conspicillum
Clouded Wrasse - Halichoeres nebulosus
Flame Angel - Centropyge loricula
Spanish Hog - Bodianus rufus

480 Gallon Display
Red Cigar Wrasse - Hologymnosus rhodonotus
5 x Royal Gramma - Gramma loreto
4 x Cleaner Shrimp

150 Gallon Refugium
Mantis Shrimp - Pseudosquilla ciliata

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update everyone on the current status of the system. I have added some live stock over the last few weeks to slowly start adding bio-load to the system. I have a listed my current list of fish below. So far everything is doing well. The water parameters are all testing good at this time. Ammonia 0, Nirate 0, Phosphate 0, pH 8.1, Calcium 500+, Alkalinity 8.6. I am going to continue to slowly add fish to the system to steadily increase the bio-load. I have not added corals yet and I am not planning to add corals until I get my reef lighting added to the 480 gallon aquarium.

720 Gallon Display
3 x Orange Tail Damsels - Chrysiptera cyanea
Clown Trigger - Balistoides conspicillum
Clouded Wrasse - Halichoeres nebulosus
Flame Angel - Centropyge loricula
Spanish Hog - Bodianus rufus

480 Gallon Display
Red Cigar Wrasse - Hologymnosus rhodonotus
5 x Royal Gramma - Gramma loreto
4 x Cleaner Shrimp

150 Gallon Refugium
Mantis Shrimp - Pseudosquilla ciliata

Keep the updates coming!!

I too feel the same when it comes to 100% keeping everything out of our tanks.

Back