AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have made some progress on the build. The walking platform is being painted along with the tanks. I have one more coat of pond shield to apply on the 720gallon tank. The walking platform is upside-down so I can paint the bottom. I have been remodeling 2 bathrooms since January but with those projects completed I can focus on the aquarium again. The electrical has been pushed in place as well 12 outlets over each tank split on 2 circuits. I also just purchased a used 150gallon tank that will be the refuge tank. I hope to get more work done in the next week or two that will show some progress in the pictures.
uploadfromtaptalk1460594019838.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460594028007.jpg

That's just beast!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use marine plywood or waterproof plywood think they are the same?.
Easy answer is chemicals. When wood is treated a lot of extra chemicals are used to prevent the wood from rotting. Many of those chemicals are toxic to marine animals. Formaldehyde for instance is used in some plywood's. The stuff I purchased was from Home Depot from the company Columbia Forest products uses a Formaldehyde free process for laminating. The paint on the outside and the pond shield inside will be providing more than enough waterproofing.

Colin Chaplin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy answer is chemicals. When wood is treated a lot of extra chemicals are used to prevent the wood from rotting. Many of those chemicals are toxic to marine animals. Formaldehyde for instance is used in some plywood's. The stuff I purchased was from Home Depot from the company Columbia Forest products uses a Formaldehyde free process for laminating. The paint on the outside and the pond shield inside will be providing more than enough waterproofing.
Excellent , Thank you for your reply some nice research there. Best of luck with the build looking good.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress this weekend. The walking platform has been completed and put into place behind the tanks. I also moved the big 720 gallon tank into place and set it on the floor. I will be starting to work on the canopy and finish off the epoxy on the 720 gallon tank.
uploadfromtaptalk1460943766441.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460943785440.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460943800247.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1460943814917.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are coming along swimmingly, Alex. Brett showed me some pics the other day; glad I found your thread!

Hit him/us up when it comes time for equipment ;)

-Austin

Motoxer310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about using pond shield in an aquarium. Do you think it'll be easy to clean? What are you plans with that?

jdack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really freakn nice work man, and fast! Keep it up, and keep inspiring us!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about using pond shield in an aquarium. Do you think it'll be easy to clean? What are you plans with that?
I not to worried about cleaning. What ever grows on the back and sides of the tank will be left alone for the most part. I plan to keep the lighting more in the center of the tank and give a bit of a shadow affect to the back of the tanks. I will only be concerned with cleaning the front glass. I did a bit a research on waterproofing and after seeing the DIY king on youtube use pond shield for a plywood build I was more or less sold. The product is intended to be used in aquariums and is not too difficult to work with. Getting a coat on the big tank is a bit of a challenge because it is so large and the pot life is about 30-45 minutes before it starts to become difficult to work with. I am planning one more coat for the 720 gallon tank and it will be finished then I just need to make the top bracing up so it is ready to be attached after the glass is installed. The glass is what I am dreading as it is going to be a big job.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I started a plywood a few years ago, but it just never got finished and tore apart. Maybe someday.

You said you doubled the plywood, but nothing about bracing the corners.

benpoole28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. Where do you plan to put the sump tanks? I assume they will have to sit directly on the floor next to the biggest tank?

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome, I'm in! @AlexG I feel you pain on wanting some fish that just aren't good for reefs. I love lion fish, big Angels, triggers, eels, etc and just can't have them in most reef tanks. One of my favorite memories from my large predator tank was the tesalata moray, @3' long, taking whole squids out of my hand. One day he even took down the 12" panther grouper as I guess we didn't feed him soon enough. Came home and couldn't see the panther grouper and when I got closer to the tank to try and find him the eel came out thinking it was lunch time and had a huge lump in his belly!

To get my fix I added a blue throat trigger to my current reef tank.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I started a plywood a few years ago, but it just never got finished and tore apart. Maybe someday.

You said you doubled the plywood, but nothing about bracing the corners.
So the corners were all doubled up along with the bottom. Here are some cut away and a exploded views of how all the corner joints are put together. Perpendicular screws and wood glue hold it together.
uploadfromtaptalk1461420668320.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461420674340.jpg
I will post about the top bracing soon as it is being mocked up.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, looks good. I just wondered as that is one of the weak points. I took a 4*4 ripped it at a 45 angle and put that in the corner. As long as it is strong enough to hold the pressure, you're good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back