AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for a video update.
Did u run any ice test to try to pinpoint what went wrong and killed those sips

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some zoa/paly/softy eye candy.
20191024_203522.jpg
20191024_203628.jpg
20191024_203735.jpg
20191024_203646.jpg
20191024_203655.jpg

vikinglord13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alex! I added it to my "watch later" list so I don't lose it :)

Question for you, have you noticed any warping in the wood? I know a common objection to wood stands for instance is the wood my warp over time. As I recall you over-engineered it pretty well to help prevent this.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alex! I added it to my "watch later" list so I don't lose it :)

Question for you, have you noticed any warping in the wood? I know a common objection to wood stands for instance is the wood my warp over time. As I recall you over-engineered it pretty well to help prevent this.

I have not seen any warping on the stands or tanks. Since I don't have sump tanks under the stand its just filled with extra supports. Each one of my stands has 48 vertical legs. I have seen various calculations that a vertical 2x4 can support anywhere from 600-1000lbs depending on the type and grade of the lumber. Even on the low end of 600lbs for each 2x4 leg without factoring in combined strength (beyond my skill set without a calculator) the stand would be rated to hold 28,800lbs not that I would try to see if it would actually hold that. I figure the big tank weighs in at ~8000lbs and it has been up and running for over 2 years now. While warping can be an issue its not hard to overcome with the right construction methods. interlocking the top and bottom frames of a stand with 2x4s, 2x6s, or 2x8s should help prevent defections along with a plywood cap on top of the stand that ties everything together with screws Once it is all screwed together in this ways the only risk for warping would be insufficient design for the weight or water damage to the stand that creates weak points. I can't imagine seeing one of my stands warp but if it did I don't think it would last very long before a catastrophic failure occurred due to the weights of my tanks.

I used to cringe when I would see aquarium stands built out of partial board as it was just one water spill away from swelling up and becoming unstable.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very classy coral, where have you been hiding that? :)

I have two colonies going in the 480 gallon reef. They don't look very impressive in the blue light as they are not florescent but in white light they show off their colors such as this yellow one. This was a frag that was sitting in low light that I have moved to the frag tank now that its up and running.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are doing great. The corals and fish are all doing well. I did get a a few things at or around black friday. I made an order with Cherry Corals and got some great pieces to replace some of my losses from the coral crash. I also ordered from Marine farmers as they have some really nice soft corals that are not easy to find these days and had a sale going. I also picked up some gear from BRS. I needed to replace my one refugium light that was originally a commercial floodlight. While it did work for over two years over half of the LED were burned out and it was not growing algae very well. I ordered a Kessel Tuna Sun 160 which I installed on the refugium today and what a difference.

I also had a hatching event in my 720 gallon aquarium which I are Purple Psudochromis. This is the thread for this really cool event that I was lucky to see over two nights. I have a couple of short few second clips of these little guys under the microscope and emerging into the 720 gallon tank.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...hey-be-has-this-happened-in-your-tank.669748/

PinkSTN.jpg

IMG_8969.JPG

mantis1.jpg

new light.jpg

20191204_233100.jpg

20191204_233605.jpg

20191204_233621.jpg

Back