AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design he is talking about for the future tank is sealed glass to glass on the corners the 4x4 on the corners appears to mostly be to hold the top and bottom panels in place unless I misunderstood.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!
Alex, have you considered just siliconing 4 glass panels together for the side, then sealing them to the plywood again, then using support beams like 2x4s or 2x6s on your corners and bottom to help with the seal along the bottoms?

I'm just curious why use 4x4s at all when you could seal the panels together. Is this a cost decision for you where the larger glass panels cost so much more? I've never really looked into pricing on large panels of glass, I imagine just a few more inches at that size equals a few hundred bucks, easily!

@vikinglord13 The four glass sides would be siliconed(RTV) together in this new design just like the sides of a normal glass tank. The 4x4s would be an extra tie in support between the top and bottom frame and would not have a sealing surface against the glass. The design is more or less a glass tank with a composite bottom and heavy duty top frame.

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled the 150 today with the hole drilling kit that I got with the h2o overflow and it made a nice clean hole. Filling the 150 now as a leak test and overflow test.
uploadfromtaptalk1463867815056.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463867822644.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463867826187.jpg
I've read through here a few times and haven't seen you mention why you didn't go with these oveflows. What were your issues with them? Considering them for my plywood build, was thinking of running 3 on my 96" tank.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through here a few times and haven't seen you mention why you didn't go with these oveflows. What were your issues with them? Considering them for my plywood build, was thinking of running 3 on my 96" tank.

The H2O overflow is a great option. The one on my refugium works good. I did remove some of the strainer teeth as some chaeto was blocking flow at times but that's more of an issue specific to a refugium. I decided to make DIY overflows as I needed 6 for my aquariums and I wanted extra so building my own overflows was more cost effective.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got around to making an update video. This is a long video but I cover everything going on with the tanks. The tanks are doing great overall with a few minor issues here and there.

looking great Alex thanks for the update! great vid. I love seeing how the tanks are coming together.
you said you do 200 gal/month WC is that for the total volume or just the reef?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great Alex thanks for the update! great vid. I love seeing how the tanks are coming together.
you said you do 200 gal/month WC is that for the total volume or just the reef?

Thanks @Devaji the tanks have been growing in nicely. 200 Gallons from the total system volume. The water change process is rather simple. I shutoff the main return and let the water settle out into the sumps which raises the water level to the max sump capacity. Then I restart the main return pump. Simultaneously I close the valve to the aquariums and open the valve to the house plumbing drain system. I did the math and have a tape line on one of the sumps so I know when to shutdown the pump and reverse the valves. Then I just need to pump water back into the sump and restart the return pump.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Devaji the tanks have been growing in nicely. 200 Gallons from the total system volume. The water change process is rather simple. I shutoff the main return and let the water settle out into the sumps which raises the water level to the max sump capacity. Then I restart the main return pump. Simultaneously I close the valve to the aquariums and open the valve to the house plumbing drain system. I did the math and have a tape line on one of the sumps so I know when to shutdown the pump and reverse the valves. Then I just need to pump water back into the sump and restart the return pump.

sounds like a perfect WC system. this system is one of my fav. every time I see it I want to build a 720 FOWLR... you are such a bad influence on us! haha

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a perfect WC system. this system is one of my fav. every time I see it I want to build a 720 FOWLR... you are such a bad influence on us! haha

It has worked out good as a WC system just need to make sure the valves are only opened and closed with the pump on. I know I am a bad influence :) Eventually when I do another build I will strive to remain a bad influence. The 720 is a really nice tank for the bigger fish. I will post some 720 pictures today.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has worked out good as a WC system just need to make sure the valves are only opened and closed with the pump on. I know I am a bad influence :) Eventually when I do another build I will strive to remain a bad influence. The 720 is a really nice tank for the bigger fish. I will post some 720 pictures today.

please do!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with great difficulty that I announce that these tanks are coming down. My Wife and I are building a new home and are getting ready to move so everything will be coming down in the next few weeks. I am going to keep a temp tank going when we move to our temporary living space and build a new system once we get settled. I will keep posting on these tanks until they come down.

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with great difficulty that I announce that these tanks are coming down. My Wife and I are building a new home and are getting ready to move so everything will be coming down in the next few weeks. I am going to keep a temp tank going when we move to our temporary living space and build a new system once we get settled. I will keep posting on these tanks until they come down.

well this was a cool tank good luck on next build

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back