AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh this puts an uneasy feeling in my stomach & its not even mine. Life is full of monkey wrenches. This right here is why I decided on fiberglass with viewing window & stock tank sump. You can build a removable skin around it for aesthetics, but is easily transportable.

Good luck on everything. Try not to puke tearing it apart.

FB_IMG_1594580959994.jpg FB_IMG_1594581035207.jpg
2911490-1740149127-25394.gif

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is with great difficulty that I announce that these tanks are coming down. My Wife and I are building a new home and are getting ready to move so everything will be coming down in the next few weeks. I am going to keep a temp tank going when we move to our temporary living space and build a new system once we get settled. I will keep posting on these tanks until they come down.

Looking forward to the nex new build!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are all excited that your new tank build will involving wrapping a house around it! ;Woot

The house will be built first then I will get to work on designing the new tanks. I have some great Ideas but I need to be in the finished space to see the layout in person to be sure its what I want. I have learned a lot from this build and I have several ideas I want to incorporate to make access and maintenance even easier.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I moved into my new home build about 6 months ago and learned a lot from the process on how to setup an environment for a monster tank system. From floor drains and polyurea floor coating to ventilation (don't use a return nearby) and electrical - you can do a lot when starting from scratch! Hit me up if you ever want to brainstorm!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved into my new home build about 6 months ago and learned a lot from the process on how to setup an environment for a monster tank system. From floor drains and polyurea floor coating to ventilation (don't use a return nearby) and electrical - you can do a lot when starting from scratch! Hit me up if you ever want to brainstorm!

I have a sub panel being installed for the aquariums electrical. I have a spot for a sink and water source for the RO/DI system ready as well. I am not sure on the exact method of ventilation that will be used as there are several options to consider, but I am going to utilize a similar negative pressure system that I am using today to control humidity. By keeping a negative pressure in the aquarium space I can prevent humidity from getting into the rest of the home. I will definitely hit you up for some brainstorming.

Aquareef89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy i found this thread! Im in the process of buying a new home and had to break down my first ever reef aquarium about a week ago due to moving for work. It was just a little nano 5gal set up but it was my baby! After moving and deciding to go ahead and buy a house, and waiting until its built to start another reef tank, I started looking for ways to get the biggest tank i can get away with. Plywood is definitely going to be the way i go! My fiance is the beat ahe has essentially given me free reign to do whatever i want tak wise as long as it doesnt look terrible in our living spaces however i cant do the big one until i build my fish room which will be separate from my house. I love that you were able to do this in your basement. I'll probably end up building a large secondary building something about the size of a 2 or 3 car garage and use half as the fish room so my fiance can do what she wants to the other half lol. Im sorry that your massive tanks have to come down but i am most definitely looking forward to the new build! I wish you the best of luck! Im about to go binge watch your youtube videos now!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy i found this thread! Im in the process of buying a new home and had to break down my first ever reef aquarium about a week ago due to moving for work. It was just a little nano 5gal set up but it was my baby! After moving and deciding to go ahead and buy a house, and waiting until its built to start another reef tank, I started looking for ways to get the biggest tank i can get away with. Plywood is definitely going to be the way i go! My fiance is the beat ahe has essentially given me free reign to do whatever i want tak wise as long as it doesnt look terrible in our living spaces however i cant do the big one until i build my fish room which will be separate from my house. I love that you were able to do this in your basement. I'll probably end up building a large secondary building something about the size of a 2 or 3 car garage and use half as the fish room so my fiance can do what she wants to the other half lol. Im sorry that your massive tanks have to come down but i am most definitely looking forward to the new build! I wish you the best of luck! Im about to go binge watch your youtube videos now!

Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you will have a nice aquarium system. What comes up must come down. I am looking forward to building another system but there is a lot of work to do before I can start building.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with great difficulty that I announce that these tanks are coming down. My Wife and I are building a new home and are getting ready to move so everything will be coming down in the next few weeks. I am going to keep a temp tank going when we move to our temporary living space and build a new system once we get settled. I will keep posting on these tanks until they come down.

Congratulations with the new home Alex. I have to say your thread/build was the inspiration for the build I'm currently wading through. I appreciate the suggestions you've been open to share and look forward to your coming build.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a trying week with my aquarium system. I have 30 days before I move out and a lot of stuff to do between now and then. I did my last water change on Saturday evening then removed one of my water storage tanks. I have torn the frag tank down and removed the heating system coil. I sold a few fish to the LFS today and will start catching more this week. I will likely have a few of the bigger fish up on R2R for local pickup. This is hard emotionally as I have put so much time into these aquariums. Here are a few pictures of the system.

20200803_213701.jpg
20200803_164304.jpg
20200803_213618.jpg
20200803_213638.jpg
20200803_213646.jpg
20200803_213648.jpg
20200803_213655.jpg

Aquareef89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you will have a nice aquarium system. What comes up must come down. I am looking forward to building another system but there is a lot of work to do before I can start building.

Thanks! I've been looking at tons of ideas and inspiration on YouTube and other online forums. So far your build has been the most influential to me personally because of how well laud out your planning was and how detailed you have been in sharing your progress as well as your setbacks. Thanks for sharing!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck to you. This thread has inspired me to try plywood with my next build, and I appreciate the detail you put into the thread, I learned a ton. Looking forward to your next build :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back