Alex's 330 Gallon CustomAquariums.com Tank

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually been checking out their website for your big ‘theatrical debut!’ Allow me to be the first one to congratulate you on 15 wonderful minutes of fame. (A very quiet system, too, may I add.) ;Pompus

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually been checking out their website for your big ‘theatrical debut!’ Allow me to be the first one to congratulate you on 15 wonderful minutes of fame. (A very quiet system, too, may I add.) ;Pompus
Thanks!
Unfortunately, I believe I chose poorly for my calcium reactor. I have since installed it and it has turned the sound level up quite a bit. It's one of the large older octopus models (held nearly 25# of media!) powered by an AC external pump. I really wish I had gone with a DC model. I also added 2 icecap 4 inch fans for the canopy to help with heat... also adding a good bit of noise. I may need to find some PC fans that have a lower CFM and lower noise level.

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I go out of town and my largest female anthias gets a sex change. I added a male and 5 females a while ago, the male came in smaller(?!?) than the females and has hid ever since, so I guess now I will have 2 males. I will post a picture later, this one is about a week old, it seems to be almost a full transition now.

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transition is about complete, you can see him on the right. He is purple whereas the old male (to the left and more in focus) is a red variety. Old male has always only come out at feeding time. Makes me wonder if the 5 females i ordered came from a different place than the male (he has always been smaller than any of the females).

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank may I ask how much for that size tank and all the seamless sump you got also shipped to your house. Thanks

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank may I ask how much for that size tank and all the seamless sump you got also shipped to your house. Thanks
They actually have a tank calculator on their website that will give you the price. IIRC, shipping was included in price of tanks over a certain size (mine included). Out of the quotes I got, they weren't the cheapest but including shipping plus the higher build quality were more than worth it!

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am at their sire but the calculator part is not working. But I will try again. Thanks for your reply

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran their calculator for you, a tank my size would be $2852. There are a million options for the sump so that would be TBD.

I build PCs a lot and the Shhh! whisper quiet pc fans are probably some of the quietest you will find that have rampable cfm on them. Very good quality too

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build PCs a lot and the Shhh! whisper quiet pc fans are probably some of the quietest you will find that have rampable cfm on them. Very good quality too
I have built all my personal desktops as well, but I figured looking in the PC realm they would not hold up to the moist areas above the tank.

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built all my personal desktops as well, but I figured looking in the PC realm they would not hold up to the moist areas above the tank.

Ahh yes I must’ve misread. I don’t know their rigidity in humid wet but I was just thinking for a canopy with a covered glass tank. If it’s just the lights with a covered tank it’s perfectly fine.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. I too am intrigued by the sump design. Why did you choose to run your AP700’s perpendicular to the tank?
Any updates on the CaRx, I love my GEO....

Corey

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. I too am intrigued by the sump design. Why did you choose to run your AP700’s perpendicular to the tank?
Any updates on the CaRx, I love my GEO....

Corey
I had to place them that way to get the full spread. Per the manufacturer they have a spread of 24" x 36" at 7" over the water and my tank is 36" wide. It is also why I chose kessil over the various other options as this was the only way I could get away with 3 fixtures.
I would have liked to have 6 xr15 pros but that would have cost considerably more.

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank, i too am looking to build an in-wall tank. been looking at custom aquariums. what stand did you decide to go with?

OP
OP
AlexStinson

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank, i too am looking to build an in-wall tank. been looking at custom aquariums. what stand did you decide to go with?
I ended up going with one of their steel stands. I wanted the warranty associated with being on one of their stands and the wood stands didn't get as tall as I wanted. I ended up with a 36" steel stand that I skinned on 1 side with plywood and manufactured cabinet doors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back