Algae and corals acting up

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been dealing with this algae for awhile scribed my rock twice etc, My phosphate is 0 and nitrate probably the algae my fish snails are fine along with the mushroom my calcium last week was high and well same with alk I just did a 20% water change 4 gallons my tank is 20 gal my alveopora hasn’t fully extended in a long time like 2 months! I’m getting worried pls help me

BA09732B-B735-4131-8BC9-A218C2D6C80C.jpeg 3BB43C26-E3B0-4491-9336-AA35685D72BA.jpeg

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is like 7 months old and has very little livestock feeding every other day three fish pellets

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am not sure I can help too much, other than to say, in my expereince algae is from too much light and phosphate (feeding) vs anything reducing them. I have several tanks - the smaller ones tend to have more algae issues .. and the 2 i started with dry rock are ridiculous. I have one nano with "live" sand (from a bag) and dry marco rock.. added the bacteria in a bottle (forget which brand), but have added nothing else but water, flow and light.... it has green stringy hair algae like crazy. not even sure where it comes from. the tanks that I have seeded with rocks from my main display seem to do way better. they do sell vibrant and other types of algae clarifiers that might help.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am not sure I can help too much, other than to say, in my expereince algae is from too much light and phosphate (feeding) vs anything reducing them. I have several tanks - the smaller ones tend to have more algae issues .. and the 2 i started with dry rock are ridiculous. I have one nano with "live" sand (from a bag) and dry marco rock.. added the bacteria in a bottle (forget which brand), but have added nothing else but water, flow and light.... it has green stringy hair algae like crazy. not even sure where it comes from. the tanks that I have seeded with rocks from my main display seem to do way better. they do sell vibrant and other types of algae clarifiers that might help.
Could I try a black out or hydrogen peroxide? If so how much would I dose for the hydrogen peroxide I have a 20 gal thx for all the help

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black out could help... I know folks who dip zoa frags in pure peroxide (a few minutes) to kill off algae... you could try pulling the rock out and brushing/wiping peroxide on the rock and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off and put it back in the tank. I only suggest this, because it looks like you only have a few pieces of rock and its pretty bare. I wouldn't think it would harm much of your beneficial bacteria except on the rock surface (meaning dont soak the rock, just "paint" the algae surface. maybe someone else will have a comment here.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black out could help... I know folks who dip zoa frags in pure peroxide (a few minutes) to kill off algae... you could try pulling the rock out and brushing/wiping peroxide on the rock and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off and put it back in the tank. I only suggest this, because it looks like you only have a few pieces of rock and its pretty bare. I wouldn't think it would harm much of your beneficial bacteria except on the rock surface (meaning dont soak the rock, just "paint" the algae surface. maybe someone else will have a comment here.
i just dosed a tablespoon of H2o2 I saw the recommended was 2tbsp per 10 so I played it safe I will also brush the rock tomorrow what algae do you think it is

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure.. could just be good ol hair algae... seems a bit brown in the pics (but that may be from you cleaning it ). good luck!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is you have phosphates bound in the rock that is fueling your algae growth. Personally i would let it go awhile. Manually remove algae if anything. Let the tank and rock mature.

Back