Algae and Cyano gone within days. Clean rocks and sand bed all of a sudden, not sure why.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my hair and turf algae just kind of vanished over the span of 2 days, cyano is gone. My rocks look very clean, no idea what happened...been lightly carbon dosing for the last 8-12 months but still have nutrients. The only thing that really happened is my phosphates got higher (maybe more in balance with nitrates) by feeding extra dry food (always fed frozen 1 per day and now feed 1 frozen and 1 dry per day).

Normally I would be over-joyed but this new tank has been so odd in the 2 years it's been alive. This was the first time I went with all dry rock after having success with my previous 3 tanks. Wanted to experiment with all dry rock and minimal pests (never again lol). Been fighting algae and cyano and just like that it's gone and I can't figure out why. Lighting didn't change, livestock didn't change, corals look the same but sand and rocks are crystal clear and algae on back wall is turning white. Nutrients are different...used to be high nitrates 30-40 vs very low phosphates (0.01-0.02) and now I have high nitrates, high phosphates (0.09) after 2.5 weeks of adding pellet food to my fish's diet (used to be only frozen LRS). Could that change in nutrients effect the balance of the tank? still have issues with brown SPS and very slow growth but my zoa's, goni, and monti are still growing like weeds (I keep having to move my red goni into the open sand as it's growing fast and getting too close to the rocks.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cyano has always popped up with imbalance and as soon as that was under control again disappeared very quickly. Any time my phos is low, it'll show up in patches again.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my hair and turf algae just kind of vanished over the span of 2 days, cyano is gone. My rocks look very clean, no idea what happened...been lightly carbon dosing for the last 8-12 months but still have nutrients. The only thing that really happened is my phosphates got higher (maybe more in balance with nitrates) by feeding extra dry food (always fed frozen 1 per day and now feed 1 frozen and 1 dry per day).

Normally I would be over-joyed but this new tank has been so odd in the 2 years it's been alive. This was the first time I went with all dry rock after having success with my previous 3 tanks. Wanted to experiment with all dry rock and minimal pests (never again lol). Been fighting algae and cyano and just like that it's gone and I can't figure out why. Lighting didn't change, livestock didn't change, corals look the same but sand and rocks are crystal clear and algae on back wall is turning white. Nutrients are different...used to be high nitrates 30-40 vs very low phosphates (0.01-0.02) and now I have high nitrates, high phosphates (0.09) after 2.5 weeks of adding pellet food to my fish's diet (used to be only frozen LRS). Could that change in nutrients effect the balance of the tank? still have issues with brown SPS and very slow growth but my zoa's, goni, and monti are still growing like weeds (I keep having to move my red goni into the open sand as it's growing fast and getting too close to the rocks.
0.09 po4 I consider perfect.
You must have been P limited.
IMO, at least that is what I think.

Congrats!

Back