Algae/ bacteria ID

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this orange stuff that looks kind of like a dense orange spider web. I’m thinking that it’s not algae as I have zero phosphates and nitrates. With that description, it seems like dinos would be the obvious answer. I’ve had those before, and this does not look like them. I really need an ID cause it’s taking over the tank! Not sure if it helps, but I have low calcium and alkalinity. Cal is at 350 and alk is 5.8-6 dkh. pH is at 8.1 and salinity is 1.023. Pics-
D8917186-F20A-49A0-9DFA-1CCC9E02997B.jpeg
04829513-57E3-493C-B95A-C34BCED28145.jpeg
4440EB6B-40FA-4E00-8F66-12C3430E5570.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks bacterial to me. How long did it take to get to this point? What is your NO3 and PO4?

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Looks bacterial to me. How long did it take to get to this point? What is your NO3 and PO4?
NO3 and PO4 are both at zero. I had a bad gha problem for a while that was a combination of a new tank and tap water. As that went away, the tank never cleared up and this took its place. It wasn’t a slow change either, I just kinda looked at the tank one day and realized that it wasn’t hair algae anymore. It covers everything but the sand, and when I try to manually remove, it regrows within a couple days. Any treatment suggestions?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, lets see if we can get this thread moved to the "Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)" section. #MODS can you help? Next, lets get some more eyes on this. #reefsquad? I'm sure help is on the way. This is just a little over my head.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is moved... this is an interesting one... Does it break apart easily or have more of a defined structure?

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, lets see if we can get this thread moved to the "Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)" section. #MODS can you help? Next, lets get some more eyes on this. #reefsquad? I'm sure help is on the way. This is just a little over my head.
Thank you so much! I’m not experienced at posting threads, so thanks for letting me know that I had it in the wrong section.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread is moved... this is an interesting one... Does it break apart easily or have more of a defined structure?
It is somewhere in between. It comes apart fairly easily, but still stays in small to medium sized pieces, which are very stringy and look kind of like the pieces in the pic of the glass. I’ll try to get a video when of it “breaking apart“ later today.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is somewhere in between. It comes apart fairly easily, but still stays in small to medium sized pieces, which are very stringy and look kind of like the pieces in the pic of the glass. I’ll try to get a video when of it “breaking apart“ later today.
I was looking at your build thread and it looks like the only flow in your tank is from the Penguin HOB filter. Is that still the case?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to find out!
I have this in 3 tanks after using Vibrant. This is weeks after algae eradication and a period of a sparkling aquarium. I wonder if it's bacterial related as Auguanut has mentioned since this has taken over my tanks after a bacteria product usage.
I'm still on the fence that this is Dinos though because I do see the stringy air bubbles off certain areas like my Gyres and areas of the back wall but the rocks are covered like the OP's. Another telltale sign is the dying of snails.
I do daily basting, occasional scraping of the back wall, sand stirring every other day and not much of a dent. Also one of the 3 affected tanks, I have a 25w UV plumbed in the sump but have temporarily moved this up to the display in case this was Dinos but have not seen any real effect.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at your build thread and it looks like the only flow in your tank is from the Penguin HOB filter. Is that still the case?
Yes, it is, but I have two power heads coming soon. When I create flow with a net to try and dislodge this stuff from the rocks, it sticks well to the rocks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is, but I have two power heads coming soon. When I create flow with a net to try and dislodge this stuff from the rocks, it sticks well to the rocks.
Ok, getting power heads should help, although in an indirect manner. An HOB filter has very little value in a reef tank but you need to leave it running for at least a few weeks after you get the powerheads installed. Normally they are only used in QT systems to make up for the lack of live rock.

Your low Alkalinity implies that you aren't doing enough water changes and, unless I'm missing something, water changes are your only method of nutrient removal. Unless you are running a skimmer, refugium, bioreactor, or some other method of nutrient removal the water changes are very important. For a system your size I would recommend doing a 10g water change at a minimum of every other week if not weekly.

I saw you had an urchin, do you have anything else in the way of a clean up crew?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this in 3 tanks after using Vibrant. This is weeks after algae eradication and a period of a sparkling aquarium. I wonder if it's bacterial related as Auguanut has mentioned since this has taken over my tanks after a bacteria product usage.
I'm still on the fence that this is Dinos though because I do see the stringy air bubbles off certain areas like my Gyres and areas of the back wall but the rocks are covered like the OP's. Another telltale sign is the dying of snails.
I do daily basting, occasional scraping of the back wall, sand stirring every other day and not much of a dent. Also one of the 3 affected tanks, I have a 25w UV plumbed in the sump but have temporarily moved this up to the display in case this was Dinos but have not seen any real effect.
I think it is bacterial, but that is only a guess at this point. You don't burn candles during the holiday season, do you? If you use vapes, are you vaping indoor more because of the colder weather?

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What snails do you have in your system?

Zero no3 and/or po4 is gonna promote a lot of nasty crap to grow. You need at least 5ppm nitrate (preferably higher) and trace (.03) phosphate for favorable competition to thrive. Also, why is your salinity low?

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, getting power heads should help, although in an indirect manner. An HOB filter has very little value in a reef tank but you need to leave it running for at least a few weeks after you get the powerheads installed. Normally they are only used in QT systems to make up for the lack of live rock.

Your low Alkalinity implies that you aren't doing enough water changes and, unless I'm missing something, water changes are your only method of nutrient removal. Unless you are running a skimmer, refugium, bioreactor, or some other method of nutrient removal the water changes are very important. For a system your size I would recommend doing a 10g water change at a minimum of every other week if not weekly.

I saw you had an urchin, do you have anything else in the way of a clean up crew?
I have a large amount of Chaeto which is very effective at nutrient removal for me. I’m using instant ocean in the bag, which always leaves a powdery residue in the bottom of the bucket. I think that this is why I have low alk and calcium. I have nothing in my tank that consumes it. The urchin is my only clean up crew. I really want to get some snails, but I have no way to quarantine them, and I don’t want to bring in a parasite on them. I do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks. I don’t have a skimmer, which is why I use the HOB. Something is removing my nutrients though, as I have 0 phosphate and nitrate.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What snails do you have in your system?

Zero no3 and/or po4 is gonna promote a lot of nasty crap to grow. You need at least 5ppm nitrate (preferably higher) and trace (.03) phosphate for favorable competition to thrive. Also, why is your salinity low?
I can’t seem to get nutrients for some reason. I purposely over feed and I still have them both at 0. I’m trying to raise the salinity to 1.025, just going very slow so that I don’t hurt anything.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large amount of Chaeto which is very effective at nutrient removal for me. I’m using instant ocean in the bag, which always leaves a powdery residue in the bottom of the bucket. I think that this is why I have low alk and calcium. I have nothing in my tank that consumes it. The urchin is my only clean up crew. I really want to get some snails, but I have no way to quarantine them, and I don’t want to bring in a parasite on them. I do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks. I don’t have a skimmer, which is why I use the HOB. Something is removing my nutrients though, as I have 0 phosphate and nitrate.
Didn't expect the chaeto, that makes much more sense. Your system doesn't use a sump, correct? I seem to remember seeing a heater in the DT on your build thread. How do you get flow to the chaeto?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had this same problem (after vibrant) - except the 'algae' were dark brown - I decided to up the flow in the tank alot - used my hand to make strong currents next to the affected areas (after careful rinsing) - and used filter socks. I repeated this for 2 days - it it literally disappeared overnight. Sounds like you are doing something similar with the baster - it just would have taken two days for me to use that method:)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back