Algae Battle/Refugium Question

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

So even though my phosphates are showing .03 and have been hovering around there for the last few weekly test I am battling a pretty significant green algae outbreak. Obviously I am assuming the phosphate reading is being reduced due to the uptake by the algae and I have since started up a refugium to try and reduce nutrients and reduce the green algae issue. My question is ..how do I calibrate my refugium to ensure I don’t bottom out my nutrients if my test results aren’t showing anything too out of wack ?

My last test results showed nitrates at 3.3 and Phos at .03 via Hanna

Side note I just beat a pretty significant cyano outbreak via Dr Tim’s treatment(maybe a little over a month ago). Some cyano is coming back as well.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find your nutrients are bottoming out there’s a really simple solution, and that is to just run your refugium lights for a lower amount of hours. Starting at 12 hours and your nutrients are going down too fast? Drop to 8, or lower the lights down if you have an LED. If your nutrients are too high, increase them. I learned this on a BRS video

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find your nutrients are bottoming out there’s a really simple solution, and that is to just run your refugium lights for a lower amount of hours. Starting at 12 hours and your nutrients are going down too fast? Drop to 8, or lower the lights down if you have an LED. If your nutrients are too high, increase them. I learned this on a BRS video
Thanks for your reply and I agree %100 as I watched that video as well. I’m just kind of viewing my results as a false positive at this point because I don’t know how how the nuisance algae is pulling out. Maybe I am overthinking this and just need to test for phos daily until I get a better feel on it.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested and phosphates are showing as 0.00. How long should I let this run before I start to worry about increasing phosphates ? Anyone ?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your question but don't have an answer as I'm in a similar situation but on a smaller scale.
*just a few small pockets of hair algae only on one of my structures that started as dry rock -- Hanna Phosphate ULR always shows 0.01-0.02 yet the little GHA pockets grow back fast every time I scrub them off.

Good luck,,, following...

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your question but don't have an answer as I'm in a similar situation but on a smaller scale.
*just a few small pockets of hair algae only on one of my structures that started as dry rock -- Hanna Phosphate ULR always shows 0.01-0.02 yet the little GHA pockets grow back fast every time I scrub them off.

Good luck,,, following...
Thanks hopefully we find some good insight here !

Back