Algae Bloom?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white cloudiness throughout the tank that I cannot seem to shake. I have done multiple water changes in the last week and a half which helps a little temporarily, but then seems to cloud back up. I now realize I have probably been running my lights too long and have since reduced the amount.
My question is does this appear to be an algae bloom? Can I keep the lights off for a few days and cover the tank (with a blanket) without any issues for my corals? I don't have many corals. Only a couple of zoas, some GSP and a hammer. How long should I run without lights if this would help clear the water?
I have run a few water tests over the last week and it is always low in phosphates and Nitrates.
As of this morning, here is the results:
Phosphates = 0
Nitrates= 2-3
Nitrite and ammonia are both 0.
Tank is about 2 months old

Thanks.

Cloudy Tank1.jpg Cloudy tank 2.jpg

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely a bacterial bloom, make sure you have good water movement on the surface for oxygen exchange and run the skimmer on the wet side. UV will help. Add any new fish recently?

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a (what i think) bacterial bloom. Added a UV sterilizer and it's been crystal clear since. I got the green killing machine on amazon.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 530 gph Sicce powerhead and the return pump puts out good flow. No new fish added recently. I do not have a skimmer. It is a 32 gallon biocube. I had considered a UV light, but was hoping to not spend the extra money just yet if I could. I have a UV light on the pond in my backyard and it keeps my pond crystal clear so I know they work well.

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 530 gph Sicce powerhead and the return pump puts out good flow. No new fish added recently. I do not have a skimmer. It is a 32 gallon biocube. I had considered a UV light, but was hoping to not spend the extra money just yet if I could. I have a UV light on the pond in my backyard and it keeps my pond crystal clear so I know they work well.
You could always wait it out. I'm fairly new but I believe blooms typically clear out on their own.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion of the Green Killing Machine. I went ahead and ordered one. It was only $50. Based on the dimensions, it appears it will fit in the sump of my Biocube.

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion of the Green Killing Machine. I went ahead and ordered one. It was only $50. Based on the dimensions, it appears it will fit in the sump of my Biocube.
No problem. I have the biocube as well and it fits perfectly in the first chamber.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back