Algae bloom?

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just just wanted to ask if this is a algae bloom? Or is it just normal? If so how do I get rid of it? Yesterday I cleaned my tank and tried to scrub the algae and did a water change but it came back the very next day. Algae was everywhere especially on the walls. Should I get a clean up crew?
6E1787BC-CD16-4FE6-A679-D56F22E69C81.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be a bloom of diatoms, which is a frequent occurrence in new builds. It will -- more than likely -- "disappear" in a week or two.

Yes, you will need a CUC, but you'll have to give them supplemental feedings of nori or sinking algae pellets until the flora in your aquarium has become established.

OP
OP
M

manuel josephh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be a bloom of diatoms, which is a frequent occurrence in new builds. It will -- more than likely -- "disappear" in a week or two.

Yes, you will need a CUC, but you'll have to give them supplemental feedings of nori or sinking algae pellets until the flora in your aquarium has become established.
I see, I didn’t know just 2 corals can cause this. I don’t have anything else in this tank besides the torch and Zoa Thanks for the advice mate.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I didn’t know just 2 corals can cause this. I don’t have anything else in this tank besides the torch and Zoa Thanks for the advice mate.
Your corals didn't cause this. Diatom blooms are often stimulated by the excess of silica present in "new" sand often added to new builds. They'll die off as they consume the excess nutrients. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back