Algae blooming everyday

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me some good advice, I have a 55 gal tank with 2 maroon clowns and 2 anemones, all on do to clean the glass everyday, I have did water changes Nitrates and Phosphate are good. Is there anything I can do to battle the problem. Thanks

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean there is algae on the glass every day? Is this the algae bloom or do you mean somewhere else?

When you say nitrates and phosphates are good, what are their levels?

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean there is algae on the glass every day? Is this the algae bloom or do you mean somewhere else?

When you say nitrates and phosphates are good, what are their levels?
on API test phosphate .05
Nitrate.25 glass and rock covered

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of the algae by any chance?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you say .05 and .25, are those both API? I was under the impression that API's saltwater phosphate starts at 0.25. Do you mean 0.5? As far as nitrate is concerned, I thought it's resolution was 0, 5, 10, 20, etc?

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of the algae by any chance?

JPEG image-D558461655B0-1.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first blush, it looks like you have dinos and/or cyanobacteria on the rock. Did you see my questions about your nitrate and phosphate for the algae on your glass. Either way, I would confirm if you have dinos or not as the cyano and glass algae can likely be tackled simultaneously. Have you tried doing the coffee filter method some samples of the bubbles/strings off the rock?

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first blush, it looks like you have dinos and/or cyanobacteria on the rock. Did you see my questions about your nitrate and phosphate for the algae on your glass. Either way, I would confirm if you have dinos or not as the cyano and glass algae can likely be tackled simultaneously. Have you tried doing the coffee filter method some samples of the bubbles/strings off the rock?
not familiar with coffee filter can you please explain Thank you

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ultimately, as a rough test, you can take some samples from the worst affected areas on the rock (bubbles/strings), shake them up in the container vigorously, then pass through one or two coffee filters. If you leave that sample out in direct sunlight and the particles reform into a sort of snot (pictured), it's highly suggestive of dinos. It wouldn't necessarily rule out the presence of other organisms in addition to dinos, but they are often the harder to eradicate and have special considerations.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on the cyano for sure. never hurts to get some Chemi Clean in there if all else fails and after 3 days do a 20% water change. Just remember to adjust your skimmer as it will go nuts. I am guessing you don't have UV otherwise dinos would not be in questions let me know if I am wrong. After dealing with cyano then you can fight the real fight. Dinos.

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the cyano for sure. never hurts to get some Chemi Clean in there if all else fails and after 3 days do a 20% water change. Just remember to adjust your skimmer as it will go nuts. I am guessing you don't have UV otherwise dinos would not be in questions let me know if I am wrong. After dealing with cyano then you can fight the real fight. Dinos.
thanks for info I appreciate it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back