Algae/dino id

Carson789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have just recently noticed some very stringy algae like stuff in my tank its got brown long hairs and little air bubbles. I figured it was dino but my nitrates are 10 and phosphate is .07. From what I've seen dino usually grows when there is very little to no nutrients in the water so idk
Snapchat-234925093.jpg

This is my picture, brownish green and stringy
IMG_3656.jpg

And this is a picture I found online that looks the same. Like I said I think its dino but I'm just not sure with the parameters

yoelf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had Dino’s a month ago it covered this one huge rock in the tank and smelled horrible and was like mounds of brown snot I threw and rock in a bucket of bleach and decided not to use it again.
I put the lights on for just a few hrs a day turned off skimmer added waste away and within 3 days it was gone also I stopped feeding LRS I think the huge pieces of leftover food was a factor but not taking a risk that could’ve got bad.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had Dino’s a month ago it covered this one huge rock in the tank and smelled horrible and was like mounds of brown snot I threw and rock in a bucket of bleach and decided not to use it again.
I put the lights on for just a few hrs a day turned off skimmer added waste away and within 3 days it was gone also I stopped feeding LRS I think the huge pieces of leftover food was a factor but not taking a risk that could’ve got bad.
Bleach is a last resort for me. I wonder why it has to be the challenge that keeps the hobby going for me. It's like a dang task I cannot complete or learn enough about. It is utterly ridiculous to enjoy this hobby like a bad habit, yet, can't stop researching.. I guess when in doubt bleach until your done stocking.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have just recently noticed some very stringy algae like stuff in my tank its got brown long hairs and little air bubbles. I figured it was dino but my nitrates are 10 and phosphate is .07. From what I've seen dino usually grows when there is very little to no nutrients in the water so idk
Snapchat-234925093.jpg

This is my picture, brownish green and stringy
IMG_3656.jpg

And this is a picture I found online that looks the same. Like I said I think its dino but I'm just not sure with the parameters
Google search "reef2reef coffee filter test"

That way you can confirm whether or not your snot is actually dinoflagellates. It is unusual to get dinos with ample nutrients but it does happen for sure. Some kind of upset in the biome can trigger competitor failure setting these guys up for a run.

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google search "reef2reef coffee filter test"

That way you can confirm whether or not your snot is actually dinoflagellates. It is unusual to get dinos with ample nutrients but it does happen for sure. Some kind of upset in the biome can trigger competitor failure setting these guys up for a run.
Google searching "reef2reef coffee filter test" only brings me right back here to this thread. :face-with-open-mouth:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google searching "reef2reef coffee filter test" only brings me right back here to this thread. :face-with-open-mouth:
Ah. Used to be my article would pop. It is in here...

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Used to be my article would pop. It is in here...
Thank you!!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back