Algae growing at base of Acropora: to disturb or not to disturb?

mikedrumm22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long stort short i have some hair algae growing around the bases of my acros. Am I better of leaving it or trying to scrub it off?

Currently i have been trying removal, but today i noticed what appears to be some tissue loss around the base of my green slimer. So better to avoid scrubbing? Who wins this battle face on, coral or algae?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae need nutrients to thrive. Once the tank matures the corals generally win as the algae dies out on its own, but in the early rounds corals can be overrun expecially by hair algae or wire turf algae that can smother them from the base and suck up the extra nutrients from the coral as it dies.

Shorter light cycles, nutrient export, and clean up crew ehancements tilt the table for corals. HTH.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same question not too long ago. I have been using a soft bristle toothbrush to gently scrub it off. Answers were to continue that. Weren't hundreds of people saying it was OK but I am continuing that method and the coral don't seem bothered by it. I'm also working on alage control but that's another subject.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back