Algae ID and what I think have done to possibly bring it on.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald died so I got a new one. I tried to get a tiny urchin but they were sold out.

I did scrub around my chalice. The algae would not leave it alone. Unfortunately I noticed a thin hair like strand come off of the chalice. Hopefully it doesn't crap the bed.

I got that coral from WWC cause it was listed as "easy."

But I noticed it slowly receded as time went on and then found out you need an alkalinity of about 9ish or higher to get them to grow. He has been hanging on since I got him but no new growth.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of H202 dips. You can pull entire rock work and just "brush" H202 on the surface with a small paint brush. It'll cause a PHOS spike most likely though so be careful.
I've seen people dose the tank with it and have success. I'd be wary of it but applying with a brush and rinsing well is effective. Great for cleaning plugs. Natural control is better. Try algeabarn for an urchin.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local store ran out of urchins so I am waiting for them to get one.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people dose the tank with it and have success. I'd be wary of it but applying with a brush and rinsing well is effective. Great for cleaning plugs. Natural control is better. Try algeabarn for an urchin.
Certainly corals that don’t do well with H202 but if you are careful it’s a great tool. It is not a preventative though.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly corals that don’t do well with H202 but if you are careful it’s a great tool. It is not a preventative though.
Agreed. Algea hate it. I think lots of people dip zoas in it with good luck and the animals fine. I use it but I've seen what happens when a torch is dipped in it. I witnessed a failed experiment.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Algea hate it. I think lots of people dip zoas in it with good luck and the animals fine. I use it but I've seen what happens when a torch is dipped in it. I witnessed a failed experiment.
Yeah, euphyllia need about a 1/5 ratio dip. I usually just dip their bone skeleton tubes.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin.jpg

Sea Urchin away! Let's see how he does. They called him a "royal urchin" but he looks just like a tuxedo urchin. I assume they are the same. He is about 1 1/4" in size.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a small nano tank, if for some miraculous reason he cleans the tank out of the GHA should I supplement him some seaweed in the future?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a small nano tank, if for some miraculous reason he cleans the tank out of the GHA should I supplement him some seaweed in the future?
Yes. I have a 30 that I never clean the back glass on. The tuxedo mows it down and it's enough for now. He'll eat lots of plants. He'll also carry around algea and shells. He was 3/4 inch when I got him. Now about 2. My grandkids favorite in the entire tank.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a tank test today.

Noticed my Nitrates were at 10-15 and I am pretty sure the phosphates read at .1 ppm. Sometimes I am not sure about what color it is but I think it was close to that. A bunch of this junk on the back walls of my tank... looks like chopped lettuce you would put in a hoagie. So I did a 30% water change.

20211202_190341.jpg

I have other problems in the tank. I noticed my Basslet has spots on him. I suspected some fungal infection. He wasn't eating when I fed. I put some fluconazole in the tank. Next day he was eating. Now my Midas Blenny is freaking out. He is eating but he is doing odd things like bite his own tail and darting from the bottom of the tank to the top. Like he is trying to escape. He was always top dog in the tank so nobody is above him predator wise. I fear the way he is behaving this may be the end of him soon.

=(

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a tank test today.

Noticed my Nitrates were at 10-15 and I am pretty sure the phosphates read at .1 ppm. Sometimes I am not sure about what color it is but I think it was close to that. A bunch of this junk on the back walls of my tank... looks like chopped lettuce you would put in a hoagie. So I did a 30% water change.

20211202_190341.jpg

I have other problems in the tank. I noticed my Basslet has spots on him. I suspected some fungal infection. He wasn't eating when I fed. I put some fluconazole in the tank. Next day he was eating. Now my Midas Blenny is freaking out. He is eating but he is doing odd things like bite his own tail and darting from the bottom of the tank to the top. Like he is trying to escape. He was always top dog in the tank so nobody is above him predator wise. I fear the way he is behaving this may be the end of him soon.

=(
I still think an urchin will help. Nuisance algea is unavoidable but controllable. Do you have a good pod population? They help my tanks. Algeabarn. Also the best urchin place. Be patient. Maybe a grazing fish. Coral beauty will peck algea all day. May nip coral. Your tank will be .

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get pods from Algaebarn every 6 weeks.

If my tank is radioactive with fish disease I may not be putting any fish in the tank. Inverts and corals only. =(

Back