Algae id, branching hair algae?

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have this algae in my tank i cannot seem to identify, it is similar to hair algae, however I'm sure it isn't hair algae, as it hasn't got that slimy kind of feel to it, nor is it easily breakable, and it feels thicker than hair algae. The one I've got seems to be individually attached to the rock by one point, then it branches off, it is really hard to pull of the rock, i cannot seem to do it, non of my snails seem to eat it, turbos, Trochus, Astrea or maybe it is just growing too fast.

I have attached some photos under the normal lighting, the tank if fairly new. Any idea what it may be would help loads. Thanks.
Image-1.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have this algae in my tank i cannot seem to identify, it is similar to hair algae, however I'm sure it isn't hair algae, as it hasn't got that slimy kind of feel to it, nor is it easily breakable, and it feels thicker than hair algae. The one I've got seems to be individually attached to the rock by one point, then it branches off, it is really hard to pull of the rock, i cannot seem to do it, non of my snails seem to eat it, turbos, Trochus, Astrea or maybe it is just growing too fast.

I have attached some photos under the normal lighting, the tank if fairly new. Any idea what it may be would help loads. Thanks.
Image-1.jpg
So to me, it’s between these:
Dinoflagellates
Bryopsis pennata and B. plumosa
Cladophoropsis (Green Wiry Algae)
I’m heading more towards Cladophoropsis because it doesn’t seem to have the bubbles that dinos will have but also it’s not as thick as Bryopsis algae.

OP
OP
A

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to me, it’s between these:
Dinoflagellates
Bryopsis pennata and B. plumosa
Cladophoropsis (Green Wiry Algae)
I’m heading more towards Cladophoropsis because it doesn’t seem to have the bubbles that dinos will have but also it’s not as thick as Bryopsis algae.
Thank you for the help, i think your right with Cladophoropsis as it seems to fit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back