Algae ID help request

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently cleaning out the fuge section of my sump and found a new type of algae growing on one of the baffles. When removing a section it was bursting in my fingers and squirting water. I have a picture of a small section attached.

Is this bubble algae?
D48956D7-1702-4B5E-8DF8-C730ACD377BF.jpeg
If so is it cause for concern, and what are options to remove it?
It is currently growing in the fuge section of my sump that also contains chaeto.
Thank you!

OP
OP
S

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Neomeris, Cladophoropsis, and dictyota. It may be one of them

It's not bubble algae
Thank you very much for your input! While it does look a lot like these, specifically Neomeris or a young dictoya, it is not at all fibrous or dense like neomeris appears to be. Based on google image search - dictoya seems the closest, however that appears to branch out and grow wide. I first noticed this growing in my sump a few months ago and it grows much more like grass in a yard than a branching tree. Once they are ‘popped’ and no water remains in them they have no form.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your input! While it does look a lot like these, specifically Neomeris or a young dictoya, it is not at all fibrous or dense like neomeris appears to be. Based on google image search - dictoya seems the closest, however that appears to branch out and grow wide. I first noticed this growing in my sump a few months ago and it grows much more like grass in a yard than a branching tree. Once they are ‘popped’ and no water remains in them they have no form.
Very interesting what we find in our tanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back