Algae ID needed

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in my biocube I replaced the sand and some rock about 3 months ago. Now i have been having this algae grow over the last couple weeks
IMG-0929.jpg IMG-0930.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos or cyano (neither of which is algae). Are there bubbles? That would make dinos more likely. Cyano is much easier to deal with.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just on the sand or is it every where? Do you have access to a microscope or are you willing to get one (less than $100).

If it's just on the sand it's most likely prorocentrum dinos (with a couple of other possibilities). If everywhere more likely ostreopsis dinos.

Are you having any problems with corals/inverts being stressed/dying?

OP
OP
Y

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its growing everywhere. I don't see any bubbles on the sand or rock work but I do see some on the glass. I am going to reach out to the local reef club tomorrow and see if anyone has a microscope. I only have a few hermits, snails and one urchin in there right now and they all seem fine.

I can blow most of it off with a turkey baster.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its growing everywhere. I don't see any bubbles on the sand or rock work but I do see some on the glass. I am going to reach out to the local reef club tomorrow and see if anyone has a microscope. I only have a few hermits, snails and one urchin in there right now and they all seem fine.

I can blow most of it off with a turkey baster.
Is is almost like a sheet on the sand? If so probably cyano. Chemiclean will take care of it. Long term you likely have a nutrient problem if it’s cyano (or could be silicates from the new sand/rock which will take care of itself in time).

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos or cyano (neither of which is algae). Are there bubbles? That would make dinos more likely. Cyano is much easier to deal with.
You know what they say... If cyano becomes a nuisance, use chemiclean and nuke it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back