Algae ID please

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, so one month ago I asked for your help to see if the problem that I have is a cyanobacteria or a dinos issue. And I do not nothing until today. Someone told me to get a sample and put it in a microscope to see really what really is.

I have years in the hobby but this problem is new for me.

This is the link of the last post:
https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/…

So now, I am newbie with the microscope and I don’t know how to distinguish what creatures are. I am 0% expert on this topic.

Can someone told me what are they? And if you think if I have cyano or dinos, how can I get rid of it.

Maybe I am just overthinking and that type of algae is neither cyano nor dinos, and is something normal.

The last thing that I want is to hurt my little reef tank.

Thanks in advance

IMG_2103.JPG

The last thing that I want is to hurt my little reef tank.

Thanks in advance IMG_9348.JPG IMG_1403.JPG

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that is a microscopic level.

Dinos will typically look like this:
1594237842239.png

From your pictures, it looks like you have diatoms/detritus build up, a little bubble algae, and some GHA if it's hairy.

So a few things you can try without chemical treatment:
  • Increase or add flow to the areas where there is build up.
  • Clean up crew... snails, and crabs can help combat a lot of algae issues. They are not a cure-all but will help to keep it to controllable levels. Check out www.reefcleaners.org @reefcleaners I get all of my cleaning crew from here and they do the job, descriptions of all their creatures are spot on! John (owner) is also great to work with.
  • Reduce your red/white light exposure. Algae lives and breeds well in red light spectrums, your corals will be okay with reduced lighting
  • Add a UV filter like a Green Killing Machine (relatively cheap entry-level UV)
  • Last, are you overfeeding your tank? What are your NO and Ph at?
There are a number of chemical treatments as well but I've had success with the following to combat cyano, GHA, and bryopsis in the past. I normally use this as a last resort in combating if my natural/equipment treatments fail:
  • Dosing Vibrant (weekly dosing)
  • Fluconazole for GHA and Bryopsis (14 day treatment)
Happy to keep helping let me know if you have questions

FYI I couldn't get to your post on FB.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those look like dinos under the microscope.

I am struggling to identify which species. Feel like I see more than one species. Plus some diatoms which are fine. Will tag Mr Reliable @taricha

For most species of Dinos a UV will help a lot. 1 watt per 3 gallons. run the pump VERY slow.
You can also clamp some filter floss in the tank wherever they like to collect. Remove and rinse when lights go down.

Test for nitrates and phosphates. You will probably need a Hanna ULR for phosphates. You may need to dose these nutrients back up. 5-10 nitrates; .05-.1 phosphates.

No more amino acids; no more phytos; no more GFO (unless your PO4 is very high, which I doubt).

Run GAC carbon to reduce toxins that dinos produce.

It is a beautiful reef. Make sure you have NO3 and PO4 measurable in there. A strong dino bloom can strip the water and starve your corals.

Are they just on the sand? Rock? Glass or plastics? Do they mostly disappear at night?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arthur9.5

Arthur9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the first post that is the link. Thanks @BighohoReef to advertise me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So one month ago some people told me that I had cyano in my tank
- I use chemiclean to clena the cyano in the sand and rocks(made 2 dosis, day 1 and day 3, before and after 2nd dosis I made a 40% water change)
So chemiclean clean my sand succesfully.

Since then. My skimmer was and still going crazy and overskimming so I take out the cup.

*The problem now is, since 2 weeks ago the algae start to grow again slowly.. Now I dont know if is cyano or dinos, unfortunately I dont have a microscope to see if is dinos.*

So what do you think guys will be the reason to start again the outbreak of the algae( cyano or dinos)

Some folks told me not to dose chemiclean again until I am sure if there is cyano, because is there dinos it could be affect and grow more and more.

I am starting to frustrate and didnt know what way to take.

If this is Dinos, what method is the best way to get rid the dinos.

First time (1st day of chemiclean) april 27
1594319001701.png

Day 2

1594319055869.png

Day 3( water change/redose chemi clean)
1594319095306.png

Remember, the pictures are from april.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now...
With microscopic level, I am meaning what is the best zoom that I need to have a perfect picture from the dinos or any other creature.

Right now my parameters are
Alk:8 Cal: 430 Mg: 1360 PO4: .01 No3: 0.025

I have a really doubt. Do I need to quit my amino acids. Im just starting this week to dose reef energy ab+ to give it a chance. Before I was using coralamino that works great for me..

Also, my LFS yesterday also recommend to battle the dinos, OCEANMAGIK. Is that a good option?

I repeat, the last that I want to do is kill my corals and fish.

Thanks again.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a mix. I think I see a few cells that look like prorocentrum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back