Algae ID: thick and stringy like chaeto but with bulbs on the tips

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this rock with Zoas in my tank for over 6 mos. It pretty much always had hair algae on it but recently some other type of algae is blooming on it. It's very thick and stringy like chaeto but with bulbs on the tips. Any ideas?

IMG_20180329_181336.jpg
IMG_20180329_181258.jpg
IMG_20180329_181252.jpg

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this stuff in my nano. Looks like some good rabbit-food eatin (I fed it to my gold spot rabbit fish while she was in QT).

Pretty sure it popped up in my nano from when I had been trying to establish some macro in there....never been good at growing algae for some dumb reason

You can go to places like: https://www.live-plants.com/

And search through photos to find what you’re looking for. I promise, it’s not a rare algae!

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the Google pics, it looks like you are right (Caulerpa racemosa). Now the next question is whether or not it is a pest algae and what should I do about it?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the Google pics, it looks like you are right (Caulerpa racemosa). Now the next question is whether or not it is a pest algae and what should I do about it?

Not really a pest but can be hard to get rid on occasion its if its rhizomes take hold in your rock.. When I first got in the hobby it was common to grow caulerpa in our reefs. If it gets close to coral it can burn them.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a pest but can be hard to get rid on occasion its if its rhizomes take hold in your rock.. When I first got in the hobby it was common to grow caulerpa in our reefs. If it gets close to coral it can burn them.
Well it's definitely rooted to the rock it's on but doesn't seem to be bothering the Zoas that share the same rock. At least not yet. Should I isolate that rock to the sandbed to prevent it from spreading to other rocks?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it's definitely rooted to the rock it's on but doesn't seem to be bothering the Zoas that share the same rock. At least not yet. Should I isolate that rock to the sandbed to prevent it from spreading to other rocks?

You can if you want.. . I would put it in a pail with tank water and with a tooth brush scrub it and pull off what you can. This way little pieces do not get all around the tank.

If it starts to grow pull it again.. It wont just jump all over the tank, it mainly spreads with runners. It can go sexual if not kept in check though.. So if you pull it and keep an eye it really wont go crazy.

It really is not that bad, some people still use it in their fuges.

If you have any angels, rabbitfish or tangs they will take care of it too.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you want.. . I would put it in a pail with tank water and with a tooth brush scrub it and pull off what you can. This way little pieces do not get all around the tank.

If it starts to grow pull it again.. It wont just jump all over the tank, it mainly spreads with runners. It can go sexual if not kept in check though.. So if you pull it and keep an eye it really wont go crazy.

It really is not that bad, some people still use it in their fuges.

If you have any angels, rabbitfish or tangs they will take care of it too.
Thanks for the tips. I do not currently have any herbivores like you mentioned that would eat the stuff but I'll definitely try the toothbrush. I guess I would just be worrying about how much damage I do to the zoanthids while trying to scrubs e areas between them

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I do not currently have any herbivores like you mentioned that would eat the stuff but I'll definitely try the toothbrush. I guess I would just be worrying about how much damage I do to the zoanthids while trying to scrubs e areas between them

Just try pulling it out around the zoas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back