Algae ID

Feeshrfriendsnotfood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been wondering what these things were for a while now can’t ever find anything maybe someone here knows? I think they’re cool and like that they’re spreading over my rock... for now. It makes up for the lack of coral

image.jpg

AlwaysHatingNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i read after other guy corrected me, nothing really eats it, it loves calcium, and only real way get rid of it is manually removing it or I would recommend pulling whatever rock it’s on out and letting it dry possibly if it’s already getting bad.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I hate to be doom and gloom, but this stuff is very invasive and nothing you do can kill it. I tried everything, almost. When it took over my temporary 40B I realized is spreads by spores also, not just deep roots. Many months later I thought of the idea of a UV and wish I had tried that too. It inhibited corals and smothered them.

OP
OP
F

Feeshrfriendsnotfood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info everyone I did a quick google on neomeris and it’s definitely the stuff. I’m glad to hear it’s hard to kill because my old enemy the dinoflagellates have revived and I might have to do another blackout again. I’m surprised nobody commented on the few snot strands in the picture lol.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! To funny.
I also just wanted you to know that I ran a test tank to experiment with the neomeris annulata ...bleach dosing and peroxide dosing. Long black out and no nutrients. Nothing killed it. Also tried fluconazole. More blue light might have caused it to spore in my 40B. In my mixed reef tank I never noticed it on plastic but I ran BASICALLY AB echotech light schedule on my AI 26HD. On my 40B I had the intensity turned down and it was very blue. The neomeris spread to every surface in the tank. It was absolutely an explosion of neomeris!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back