Algae ID

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it is a turf algae but I don’t know exactly what it is. It is short growing anf blue in coloration. How would I treat this. Currently using Vibrant 4ml per week in a 34 gallon with sump. Thanks. Sorry that I don’t have a better photo.

2773157E-E142-4E12-B315-4968A4E08C49.jpeg

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the tank been up a while? Some types of algae actually mean you have a good established tank. And sometimes better to control them rather than completely get rid of them.

OP
OP
blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the tank been up a while? Some types of algae actually mean you have a good established tank. And sometimes better to control them rather than completely get rid of them.

Yeah it’s been up for almost 3 years. I was trying to eliminate it as I run a chaeto reactor and since this stuff started growing the chaeto has suffered. I think you maybe right though I plan on placing more SPS frags on that rock.

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s been up for almost 3 years. I was trying to eliminate it as I run a chaeto reactor and since this stuff started growing the chaeto has suffered. I think you maybe right though I plan on placing more SPS frags on that rock.
When did this start growing?

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 3 months ago. I’ve been picking at it but it is very difficult to pull off.
How fast does it grow? Since it’s presence does it look like any of your corals are declining in health or your fish are having issues breathing? Do you have any film algae or diode algae on the glass? It seems to me like a type of hair algae. As long as it isn’t slime or growing exponentially causing other issues I think you’ll be okay. Just keep an eye on it and maintain it. Putting corals over it might help get some out.

OP
OP
blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does it grow? Since it’s presence does it look like any of your corals are declining in health or your fish are having issues breathing? Do you have any film algae or diode algae on the glass? It seems to me like a type of hair algae. As long as it isn’t slime or growing exponentially causing other issues I think you’ll be okay. Just keep an eye on it and maintain it. Putting corals over it might help get some out.

It is actually a pretty slow grower. It doesn’t appear to cause any decline in health. My zoas are overtaking easily currently from the right side in the photo. I think I will discontinue the vibrant and as I’m starting to have cyanobacteria from it lowering my phosphates too low. I’ll keep an eye on it and my nutrients so it is kept at bay. Thanks

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually a pretty slow grower. It doesn’t appear to cause any decline in health. My zoas are overtaking easily currently from the right side in the photo. I think I will discontinue the vibrant and as I’m starting to have cyanobacteria from it lowering my phosphates too low. I’ll keep an eye on it and my nutrients so it is kept at bay. Thanks
Sounds good man glad to help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back