Algae ID !!!

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys.. can anyone ID this algae? I think its cyano =((((((((((... anyfixes? i know chemi clean but i have seen tanks crash because of it makes me extremely nervous .. any other methods ? this stuff wont budge i did 100 water changes already! my tank is about 6 months old. picture below thanks!!

IMG_3422.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe hair algae along with dinos or diatoms.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try spot treating hydrogen peroxide for the hair algae and see if your nutrients are bottomed out for the dinos the water changes may have exacerbated the issue depending on the species of dino. Params?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try spot treating hydrogen peroxide for the hair algae and see if your nutrients are bottomed out for the dinos the water changes may have exacerbated the issue depending on the species of dino. Params?
So you guys don’t think it’s cyano ? It’s looks a little gooy too. The water change did make it worse maybe I should just wait it out ? I was going to buy chemi clean but I’ll wait I guess. I havnt tested after the water change but my last phosphate was 0 .. I’m guessing because all the algae is eating it up.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it. It’s deff dinos! Any new ways to treat dinos these days ? Or jus leave it alone for a few weeks ?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it. It’s deff dinos! Any new ways to treat dinos these days ? Or jus leave it alone for a few weeks ?
Imo hold off on the water changes and see how the system responds. If your still getting 0 phosphate after a couple weeks try feeding a little heavier. If that doesn't work after another couple weeks to a month try U.V.

The very best thing you could do is get a light microscope take a scrape and post pics of the slide on here, what species your dealing with is really important. If you can afford it (time and money wise) I wouldn't change anything until confirming what species you have under a microscope.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo hold off on the water changes and see how the system responds. If your still getting 0 phosphate after a couple weeks try feeding a little heavier. If that doesn't work after another couple weeks to a month try U.V.

The very best thing you could do is get a light microscope take a scrape and post pics of the slide on here, what species your dealing with is really important. If you can afford it (time and money wise) I wouldn't change anything until confirming what species you have under a microscope.
i wont be able to get a microscope lol and my tank is a 15g nano im going to have trouble finding a UV ster for this tank ughhhhh i hate dinos this sucks... this is why my corals arnt looking so hot these dam dinos are sucking the life out of all my nutrients ! =(

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yea it’s definitely dinos. I hope this doesn’t kill my tank… Idk what to do :( maybe dr Tim’s waste away?

Back