Algae ID

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this algae? It started a month ago in my year old tank and I can’t figure out what it is. It looks like mouse droppings but it is red and accumulates in areas of low flow.
DAFAC6DD-7FB3-4F76-B729-C2DA0A4E6552.jpeg

EC41B0F3-3C5C-482D-83CA-6362477BD363.jpeg
2436828B-5BA0-4C56-A92F-427D595C4F7E.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get pictures under white light (ex. with a flashlight?). It’s hard to tell for images 2 and 3, but the individuals in image 1 actually appear to be flatworms, not algae.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get pictures under white light (ex. with a flashlight?). It’s hard to tell for images 2 and 3, but the individuals in image 1 actually appear to be flatworms, not algae.
BE3BA5F2-AE53-45C1-B886-670CF20B49E1.jpeg

They don’t move and when you take a Turkey baster they easily fly off of rocks into the water and stick to rocks and the glass etch They are slimy. They aren’t flatworms I don’t think

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It appears to bacterial and likely associated with Cyano.
Have you noticed it diminished overnite and then regenerates with lights on during the day. Cyano responds to light for fuel and it may be such case.
Other possibility is silicates

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BE3BA5F2-AE53-45C1-B886-670CF20B49E1.jpeg

They don’t move and when you take a Turkey baster they easily fly off of rocks into the water and stick to rocks and the glass etch They are slimy. They aren’t flatworms I don’t think
If they hold shape, flatworms. Red slime will break apart and turn into thin stands. Will also stink. Syphon some out and place into a cup. Take some pictures.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to bacterial and likely associated with Cyano.
Have you noticed it diminished overnite and then regenerates with lights on during the day. Cyano responds to light for fuel and it may be such case.
Other possibility is silicates
I haven’t checked my RODI in 6 months so that’s likely it. I don’t know why my brain didn’t go straight to that

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they hold shape, flatworms. Red slime will break apart and turn into thin stands. Will also stink. Syphon some out and place into a cup. Take some pictures.
I’ll do that tomorrow. They disintegrate when I smudge them against the glass and they’re slimy

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god I put them in a specimen cup and they move. No way would I have thought they were flatworms but I've never seen them. This is going to be one terrible month if they turn out to be a serious problem considering my tank just had ich and it's fallow

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals are all doing really well though. They seem unbothered
Search red planaria flatworms for comparison. They don't eat corals. They only harm corals when the population becomes dense enough to smother the coral...which will likely happen if you don't deal with them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Search red planaria flatworms. They don't eat corals. They only harm corals when the population becomes dense enough to smother the coral...which will likely happen if you don't deal with them.
Exactly this. On the phone and can't type fast.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god I put them in a specimen cup and they move. No way would I have thought they were flatworms but I've never seen them. This is going to be one terrible month if they turn out to be a serious problem considering my tank just had ich and it's fallow
The fact that the tank is fallow is actually good news depending on how you decide to deal with them. Flatworm Exit is an option. You'll find plenty of info on here regarding its use if you search it.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search red planaria flatworms for comparison. They don't eat corals. They only harm corals when the population becomes dense enough to smother the coral...which will likely happen if you don't deal with
Search red planaria flatworms for comparison. They don't eat corals. They only harm corals when the population becomes dense enough to smother the coral...which will likely happen if you don't deal with them.
I suctioned a bunch up and I’ll have to do some research tomorrow

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back