Algae ID

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this? It's a reddish brown hair type algae. It grows faster with flow, its slimy and pulls up fairly easy but grows back fast.
received_1005140150324268.jpeg
received_455217145825860.jpeg
received_327781002455625.jpeg
20211009_104323.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like flagellate build up in the glass. May be a few strands of bryopsis present also
Lower white light intensity and scrape off the glass.
is tank at or near a window ?

OP
OP
Fishf00d

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like flagellate build up in the glass. May be a few strands of bryopsis present also
Lower white light intensity and scrape off the glass.
is tank at or near a window ?
Tank is in the basement so no outside light.. Actually have 2 tanks with this in them right now. One runs almost all blue with little to no white light. That back wall is what most of my rock looks like at them moment also and last weekend I scraped the glass all around on both tanks as they were covered. Just lots of neglect going on with these two tank. About 3 months ago they were spotless and both have been going for 2 yrs or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is in the basement so no outside light.. Actually have 2 tanks with this in them right now. One runs almost all blue with little to no white light. That back wall is what most of my rock looks like at them moment also and last weekend I scraped the glass all around on both tanks as they were covered. Just lots of neglect going on with these two tank. About 3 months ago they were spotless and both have been going for 2 yrs or so.
Clean up again and add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons during the day and 2ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night
Dump skimmer daily and do not feed coral foods for at least a week
Ruby reef sliminator may help with this also

OP
OP
Fishf00d

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through an entire bottle of peroxide over 3 weeks and didn't notice anything. Been trying to add bacteria the last 2 weeks when I remember. I had a UV running but took it off line and the lower temps of the tank water seemed to slow down the growth more than the UV. Also took out powerheads in both tanks and that slowed the growth but corals aren't happy with the reduced flow.

SouthSko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same stuff. I can not get rid of it. I have tried fluconazole, azithromycin, h2o2, vibrant and nothing!

Have you have any luck? Anyone have an ID? I have 10x GFO running 24/7 trying to starve it , but it still grows!

OP
OP
Fishf00d

Fishf00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same stuff. I can not get rid of it. I have tried fluconazole, azithromycin, h2o2, vibrant and nothing!

Have you have any luck? Anyone have an ID? I have 10x GFO running 24/7 trying to starve it , but it still grows!
So I treated one tank with azithromycin and it did nothing. At the same time I've been dosing microbacter 7 in both tanks and removing as much as I could with a hose and doing water changes. The last time I did that for my bigger tank the stuff just started to melt away. I had also been adding phospate to the tank and earlier in the month hit it good with nitrates. No explanation as to why one tank cleared up and the other hasn't. I'm continuing with microbacter 7 daily and adding some phospate to the tank. I'll pull out as much as I can from my smaller tank and do a water change sometime this week.

SouthSko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: starve phosphates with GFO, Blackout.

So I had a tree fall on my powerline. I had my generator running for 3 days to run my house, but no lights on my tanks. My internet was down as well so I could not connect to my apex. I just ran my gfo 247 to absorb any po4. BTW not 10x, but like 3-4x.

4 days later 95% of the **** was GONE once I had power, internet back. Nitrates went from 5 to 23. I ran my phosban at 1/90 minutes until I could detect any po4, and then it started growing back. I went to 10/90 minutes and some has gone away. If it comes back hard all I'm going 24/7 phosban and turning off my lights again. SPS are already showing new growth so I know it wont be as bad as last time.

Im dosing noapox 10ml 2 times a day (85 gallons total) its im getting like 1-2 ppm lowering of my no3 a day . I'm using vibrant also, but all that does ins make your nitrates go down and then back up in a few days. I have a dope, oversized skimmer so I don't know. I'm haven been dosing micro bactor 9 the entire time, but like 100lm once a week.

Lets get this

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back