Algae id

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get a good photo, because of where it is and the lighting, hasn’t come out good on camera.

basically tank has been running for 4 months, some of the rock came from a frag tank I had running for years.
No algae really to speak of on the rocks or sand, I get the green haze on the front and sides of the tank on the glass in which use a magnet scraper to get it off.

on the back of the tank, the back glass, which came already painted black, is this reddish, brown carpet algae. Doesn’t get long, looks like the moss you would see grow on a roof or driveway, but instead of being green, it’s a rusty brown color. I’ve taken the mag float to it, 80 percent flies off in smaller pieces , the remaining 20 percent tends to not want to razor off. Perhaps not enough of the blade is getting underneath that .

nitrate around 20
Po4. .09

Any idea? Doesn’t grow on the front of the glass or sides, at least maybe doesn’t have time to being I scrape it every other day for the glass algae

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and get a good photo, because of where it is and the lighting, hasn’t come out good on camera.

basically tank has been running for 4 months, some of the rock came from a frag tank I had running for years.
No algae really to speak of on the rocks or sand, I get the green haze on the front and sides of the tank on the glass in which use a magnet scraper to get it off.

on the back of the tank, the back glass, which came already painted black, is this reddish, brown carpet algae. Doesn’t get long, looks like the moss you would see grow on a roof or driveway, but instead of being green, it’s a rusty brown color. I’ve taken the mag float to it, 80 percent flies off in smaller pieces , the remaining 20 percent tends to not want to razor off. Perhaps not enough of the blade is getting underneath that .

nitrate around 20
Po4. .09

Any idea? Doesn’t grow on the front of the glass or sides, at least maybe doesn’t have time to being I scrape it every other day for the glass algae
Photo may help. Your tank is new so just a ugly phase from which everyone go through. Can be cyanobacteria or diatoms you say it is brown in colour. I think it shall be cyanobacteria in your tank. Just don't worry as it should go away on it's own. Still photos may help

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo may help. Your tank is new so just a ugly phase from which everyone go through. Can be cyanobacteria or diatoms you say it is brown in colour. I think it shall be cyanobacteria in your tank. Just don't worry as it should go away on it's own. Still photos may help

Attachments

• F701B112-2B7D-49DE-98D0-97F5A8B6F0D2.jpeg
    F701B112-2B7D-49DE-98D0-97F5A8B6F0D2.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much you can see. I have been scraping it off the past couple days and it isn’t coming back like I think cyano would. Has almost like a felt appearance to it. When I run the magnetic razor over it, most lifts off and falls apart instantly, no carpet like pieces, but some of it’s left behind after the razor hits it. Kinda like razor blading paint off, always a patch left behind

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos in white light may help. Probably cyanobacteria or can be detritus but still hard to tell. Like u said it fall then detritus can be it. Give a good flow to tank, whatever it is will go away as your tank is new and I think it is coz of less flow. U can add wave rotator fir it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back